New Mater big enough for Sportsman talk?? (1 Viewer)

Sportsman Racing , Nitro Racing its all good to me !
Like 90 something percent of everyone on here that have ever cut a light in a drag race have done it in a sportsman car !
There's good and gooder and Nitro is Gooder !

Sportsman Racing , Nitro Racing its all good to me !
Like 90 something percent of everyone on here that have ever cut a light in a drag race have done it in a sportsman car !
There's good and gooder and Nitro is Gooder !

I beg to differ..There's good and gooder and Pro stock is Gooder:D

Chris, Thanks for noticing my points lead:D , its an optical illusion because I have a race on everyone..but hey, I'm enjoying it while it lasts!! Your right about division 2 car counts, and guys who really follow S/ST Nationally, consider that division a little soft, of course they consider Division 1, really tough...but that didn't stop Div.2's Champ Michael Ruff from cleaning house in Div 1's race in Virginia last weekend!!

Optical illusion or not, right now you are da man!!

As far as the low car counts..I don't know why,but to be honest,I think that gives me a good shot at doing something.The average count so far has been I think 34 cars.Well after rd 1 you now have 17, then 8,4,2..you get the picture,but to me,that's like 4 rounds of bracket racing at Gainesville,but you are heads up.So to me,those odds say that I can footbrake and have a chance going a few rounds,maybe win one of those divisonals too.It's certainly worth the try.Now on the other hand,I may get my butt handed to me and never go past 1st round.But..ya' never know....:cool:

I couldn't agree more Ron. I also agree with what Karl, Terry and Jean have brought up...the Super Classes aren't particularly fan friendly, but I believe they can be very exciting entertainment....to me it's an "aquired taste", kinda like a good stout ale, or strong red wine!

First of all, Super Class racing is best watched from a nice bleacher between 1000ft, and the finish line...as high up as you can get..unforunately most tracks don't have these accomodations!! (Texas Motorplex has a perfect spot on the pit side). 2nd, it helps to get to know some of the drivers personally, I absolutely abhor SC..bunch of long skinny diggers that look the same, run the same, and take forever to run, with the across the start line burnouts...but If I have 7 or 8 people I know to root for..I can set through a session! 3rd, a complete understanding of the tactics and rules involved helps.

Now, let's look at T-stops, Electronics and Big MPH Cars
#1 As NHRA Events have grown, and all the feilds have gotten bigger, Super Class racers have gotten fewer and fewer time runs, spead further and further apart.
#2 All NHRA Events, National or Divisional, depend on traveling racers for car counts. When you look at SG/SC car counts over 100 for nearly every event, and SST numbers averaging 50-60 cars, It may surprise you to check the points and realize there are only about 1000-1200 people active in each class!

If you want these traveling racers to dial in TO A SPECIFIC INDEX in 3 or less time runs spread over 2 or 3 days, at a track they only see 1 or 2 times a year (if at all), an electronically controled T-stop is an absolute necessity, not a luxury. Do away with it, and the hometown cars have a HUGE advantage, and guys have much less motivation to travel, Divisional car counts would decrease dramatically, and those events wouldn't survive financially.

Now, lets look at the MPH issue...with all the variables of a race weekend..weather, track prep, wind ETC. There is not a single SST racer I know, that can wake up Sunday morning, after his last time run was Saturday at noon, and confidently say, "I'm on a .90"...that's the hardest thing for a bracket racer who runs 3 times runs in 4 hours and has 1st round in 30 minutes to understand...they all say, "What's the big deal, Cut a light and Run the number, MPH doesn't matter". Then the first time they wake up and realize the tractors are out prepping the track, the weather is completely different, and it's time to race(BTW I LIVE for those Sunday Mornings..every nerve end is tingling, the gut is churning, the brain is in hyperdrive, and you wake up to Stockers already warming up thier beasts on jackstands...I thank God for every one of them I get!), they realize, hmm, we are all out here guessing!! Sure, some guys are better, and can narrow it to 2 hundredths, some guys have a 6 hundredths window...but do you set up on .90-.92, or .88 to .90?? .90 to .96 or .84 to .90?? Running slow is sure to lose, so nearly everyone tries to set up towards the fast side, at that point finish line racing becomes critical, and almost every advantage at the stripe goes to the faster car.

Hey, if NHRA outlawed T-stops and elctronics, I'd still race SST, I love the class, but tracks like Denver, Great Bend, and Sonoma would come off my traveling plans, they are just too tricky, and local guys would win those races every year.

Chris,
You can be extremely competitve in SST without electronics, as long as you know the track, have the car dialed to that track, and understand your car. I implore every bracket racer with a 10 second ride to give it a try if a Divisional is nearby..just be ready for a steep learning curve if you travel!!

Bob,
Have fun in GB!! My dad and brother will be racing there, but, as much as I love racing at SCRA Dragstrip, and the hospitality of the town, it didn't make the cut this year...I decided to add the Texas Motorplex to my list of tracks I've raced at instead...I wasn't dissapointed!!

Thank you for putting into words the experience of the .90 racer... Many times I've faced that same situation (what's really fun is when a nighttime thunderstorm completely washes the track off, then first round is 8 or 9 in the morning!). .90 racing is where it's at for me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back