New Mater big enough for Sportsman talk?? (1 Viewer)

I know it's NITROmater.com and not SPORTSMANmater.com, but I wish there was a Sportsman section on the Mater. I love the Pro stuff too, don't get me wrong, but I'm a Sportsman guy all the way! For that stuff though, I've been lurking classracer.com lately.

Why not present the idea directly to Jerrod & Shannon. There are a lot of forums already, would another one hurt?

It seems to make nothing but sense. I'm sure it would keep everyone happier.

It does make you think about NHRA's designation of what a pro class is and what a sportsman class is, though. The terms are obviously used pretty loosely. I don't think anyone would argue that David Rampy and the Richardsons, Edmond and Scotty, have made their livings (and pretty good ones) in "sportsman" drag racing. There's certainly no requirement for a pro to be a pro or that a sportsman isn't a pro.

Just remember there's a whole lot more sportsman racers than pros ! And many pros were sportsman racers first. A sportsman section would be cool, I don't care either way. I like the way how we can interact about varying topics.

Ron, I really don't look at the Alky classes as Sportsman, or ProMod. :D And I really can't hold an informed conversation about all the rest, stuff like delay boxes, 2-steps, 3-steps, dumping... just goes against everything I believe in.
but that's just me... :confused:

You aint had fun yet till you've "dumped" to take a win light:D .:p (ask Jeggy) Bracket /Super racin Is FUN stuff!To me, knowing what is going on I can watch bracket/super racing all day.I can walk away after 2 or 3 pairs of fuel cars.Bracket/Super racing is kinda tough to understand at first for those that like first one wins no break out.When you understand what it takes to hit a dial or index(a lot of work and talent) it brings it to a whole different level.

Sportsman racing is the most important kind of racing out there IMO!Who do you think pays the bills?:..lol

Unfortuately, sportsman racing has turned into a snooze with all the electonics allowed. Wanna make it exciting? Get rid of all the crap and go drag racing like it was meant to be and perhaps fans might return to the grandstands.:cool:

Unfortuately, sportsman racing has turned into a snooze with all the electonics allowed. Wanna make it exciting? Get rid of all the crap and go drag racing like it was meant to be and perhaps fans might return to the grandstands.:cool:

The sad thing is that the stands will still be empty withought electronics.Stands arent full during Stock are they?The electronics have nothing to do with the stands being full or not.The Average fan doesn't understand and or doesn't want to understand what it takes to run an index or a dial.If they had an understanding of what it takes they would appreciate it more than you think.I takes a lot of work to .90 or what ever.And it also lets jo schmo on a budgget have a place to play.if every class was get to the finish line first as fast as you can ther would be WAY less people doin it simply because it would become biggest wallet wins.

Pro racing is a spectator sport. Sportsman racing is a participant sport. That's how each pays it's bills.

If it weren't for bracket racing, I wouldn't have been able to race anything for the last several years. It IS exciting to be within a few feet of a finish line and have to make a split-second decision that you're instantly going to live or die by. :) It's not THAT bad if it's all you can afford to do. Where else could you win a race with your mom's minivan with a combination of better reaction time, better job of predicting your ETs, and better job of driving the finish line?

Last edited:
"Pro racing is a spectator sport. Sportsman racing is a participant sport. "

Exactly.But we need to get those Pro spectators out to their local tracks and into some bracket racing.bracket racing is the TRUE run whatcha brung type of racin.And it doesn't matter if you brung enough because any car is enough.

Ron...
Ain't run since High School... At OCIR Wednesday nights... they had brackets or you could choose off and race heads-up... and they would not post your times on the scoreboard... made a few bucks and lost a few.... :eek:
T/F just fired up...

Let me start off by saying, I've done a little of this Sportsman racing in my days. There are classes for just about anyone. I by no means, am trying to slam any of the .90 classes and I agree about the skill required. It's all good, but to me, it would be much better for the sport and the racer's to get rid of the timer stuff. I know all about wanting the top end speed and all. I just think it would be better, not to see the slow down after the launch.

Why not go back and just race to the stripe and if you think your to quick, dump. I understand the finish line stuff, being an old Comp racer myself. I've done Brackets, Modifieds, Gasser's and Comp Elim. and enjoyed them all.

It just seems you've gotten sucked in to the old trap, of I need all this stuff to win. Well, if nobody had that stuff, wouldn't it be cheaper and perhaps more fun, being that a good DRIVER/RACER could take a win? Not the guy with the most money. Explain to me why it's good to spend big bucks, to watch what I see as a car fall on it's face 30 foot off the line?

Let me start off by saying, I've done a little of this Sportsman racing in my days. There are classes for just about anyone. I by no means, am trying to slam any of the .90 classes and I agree about the skill required. It's all good, but to me, it would be much better for the sport and the racer's to get rid of the timer stuff. I know all about wanting the top end speed and all. I just think it would be better, not to see the slow down after the launch.

Why not go back and just race to the stripe and if you think your to quick, dump. I understand the finish line stuff, being an old Comp racer myself. I've done Brackets, Modifieds, Gasser's and Comp Elim. and enjoyed them all.

It just seems you've gotten sucked in to the old trap, of I need all this stuff to win. Well, if nobody had that stuff, wouldn't it be cheaper and perhaps more fun, being that a good DRIVER/RACER could take a win? Not the guy with the most money. Explain to me why it's good to spend big bucks, to watch what I see as a car fall on it's face 30 foot off the line?

I'm not sucked in at all to say the least.I don't think it would be any cheaper because the people would just find somewher else to spend the money(these classes and cars are an Ego thing).it takes a lot more than electronics to win these races.I can understand how it looks funny with the car on the stop.But like I said it is hard to understand if all you think you're seeing is a broke car.What fans don't get to see is what it takes to run a .90.They don't get to see what it takes to DRIVE THE STRIPE so it is hard to explain.T stop racin is A lot of fun.if it werent there wouldn't be over 200 cars doin it at any national event.I run my car all out a lot and do some .90 racing.one is just as fun as the other.heck there is only 4 MPH difference in running wot vs.T stop racing, so it really isn't any different just about 1.3 more seconds of FUN..LOL You will never cut the money people spend out of the picture.But I think maybe top sportsman and top dragster would be a better fit for fans than .90 racing.And the electronics in these cars are not expensive.

Last edited:
I agree, but I'm speaking about getting the fans to watch. Making it look more like a regular race. They just don't get it and many say they won't watch it. Brackets make more sense to them. At least those sound like a regular race and they are except at the stripe.Without for lifting at 30 foot out. :D In my opinion, it's just wrong. :p Guess I'm just stuck in my ways, but I can't watch it, except at the stripe. Good stuff there.

I remember on the old mater when someone would post something sportsman related in the NHRA section and get complaints because it wasn't nitro. Since it's still drag racing, you shouldn't have to post it in the lounge. A sportsman section sounds like a good idea to me.

Back in the day, (pre PC mater):p If you was a GREEN card holder there was a section for sportman racers.:)

Exactly, most of the racers I know in the .90 ranks can run at least a second to a second and 1/2 faster when they are not on the stop.

I agree, but I'm speaking about getting the fans to watch. Making it look more like a regular race. They just don't get it and many say they won't watch it. Brackets make more sense to them. At least those sound like a regular race and they are except at the stripe.Without for lifting at 30 foot out. :D In my opinion, it's just wrong. :p Guess I'm just stuck in my ways, but I can't watch it, except at the stripe. Good stuff there.

That is why I say I think Top Sportsman and Top Dragster would have better fan apeal.But I don't even think that they would fill the stands at a national.

cool .....im not alone on my feelings:D man i love a little short wheel base vega vs. roadrunner race thats what i grew up watching and racing and just for good messure throw in a roadster here or there!
like i said earlier i didnt mind it when they would delay .05-.10 but it has got pretty bad around my neck of the woods! if you have to delay for a second or more move up a class! 10.90 running 145mph? those are super comp numbers!
9.90 running 165mph? over a second delay? boring.... i love the cars in these classes they are what racing is/was but im just not into the big delay!
wonder what would happen if top fuel left the line delayed for 1second or more then went on down the track at 5.55 at 300mph?:eek: would you watch?;)

Bo Butner is facing Jeff Taylor in the final at Chicago, and he's been running against the AA/SM Index all weekend...and doing a masterfull job of protecting it, I might add! So I'd say he is truly in a legit AA/SM Car....

...And then there were 2..B/AA's that is, as both Ficco Jr., and Freeman have made the semi's at Denver, to face Dean Carter's all-world A/ND, and Tom Snyder's 23-T...This will be fun!!

Last edited:

Well, see? You're not going to get any disagreement from me concerning getting rid of electronics. If one person has it, everyone has to have it, though. I remember when people just put stops on their carbs and there was none of this timed stop after the launch business.

Hey, at least in bracket racing we can be snobs about not having mufflers on race cars and not having throttle stops kicking in after the launch! I'm not stupid enough to think that every bracket racer isn't just a drag racer who can't afford it. I say people better be GLAD that bracket racing is still keeping how many people interested in the sport of drag racing?

Bracket racing was definitely the gateway drug for me that enabled me to be able to move on to the harder stuff! :eek: (little testimonial there)

I'm not a fan of electronics.I also am not knocking those that use them.Me?? Sure I'm going to do it the hard way and run S/St without a delay box or t-stop.As long as my car will 60ft decent,I have a chance.My deal is to have fun.I want to make some cash obviously,but I'm not making my living off of this either.
Personally IMHO,I think S/St should be a 10.90 dial in,stock floorpan,and chassis type of car,no delay boxes or t-stops.Run heads up,and whoever has the best car/driver wins.REAL SIMPLE!!
I don't like the class being invaded by 145+mph cars that can't cut it in other classes,and I think the .90 classes need to have a limited car count.

Put your foot on the floor,pull the shifter handle,and hit the brakes after the run is over.This is what the fans want to see.

Did anyone hear why Neal Rhodes (#1 qualifier in his E/SA) was DQ'd after class elims? DRC just said he was DQ'd after tear-down. He's won the Mile Highs twice, and he's a very good person. I'm about 1100 miles from Morrison this year, so I won't have a chance to ask him myself. Any info would be awesome.

There were a bunch of tear downs in Stock yesterday. Tear down infraction is usually the only reason given for such DQ's, but I did specifically ask about Rhodes, and I was told his valve seats weren't right.
Is there room here for Sportsman talk? I hope so! I see a lot of drag racing, and I'm just as tickled watching a pair of Super Stockers bury the bumpers on a launch as I am watching fuel cars run 330, and Comp Eliminator is my favorite class of drag racing!

Bob (back from Bandimere and looking forward to spending next weekend in Great Bend) :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back