Jim Hughes Disqualified!?!? (1 Viewer)

Jim Hughes is a great guy and a big supporter of sportsman NHRA drag racing. Doesn't mean the rules don't apply to him, but who really broke the rule here, NHRA for not having the damn paperwork/sticker available when it should have or Jim for simply forgetting to make another trek to the credentials trailer. He wasn't exactly cheating or trying to "get away with something" on purpose.

That said, at least they didn't fine him 100 large like they did Don. Maybe they check personal net worth before issuing a fine?

Now we add callous and libelous to the list! Exactly who has the market cornered on name-calling here? Paul, you should put down the sledgehammer sometime, and try a scalpel, or at the very least a dull butter knife.

The bottom line for me is this. I'm preparing to load up my truck and drive to the division 7 race in Fallon Nevada in 9 days. It's a 1286 mile roundtrip, If I drive conservatively I can manage 13 mpg. At 4.00 a gallon, That's 395$ added to the 165$ entry. 20$ for the KD Canopy Shootout, and easily a 100$ in race fuel, and 1 of my 10 days of vacation for the year.
That's more money than my weekly paycheck, the fact is, for the past 5 years, I've spent more than 20% of my income in the persuit of NHRA Drag Racing. If the people in the tower, ticket booth, credential trailer, and tech trailer, don't care as much about it as I do...they need to be replaced, period!

If they did care, they would understand, above all else, we just want to race, and compete. So fine us after the fact, for a clerical infraction, but don't without every possible consideration, use a disqualification. This is why the outcry from the racers over this issue has been so vehement. Mike Rice get's it..that's why I've enjoyed my home division races so much more over the last few years. Graham Light doesn't get it, and every single year his actions confirm that over and over.

"To all fellow sportsman racers:
I would like to comment on the Topeka National Event issue resulting in my disqualification in both super gas and super comp. Yes, NHRA had the wrong tickets at the start of the event. Yes, I waited for a total of almost three hours in line over two days trying to get my credentials. Ultimately, I and thirty five other racers were writen on a list and instucted to try back in the morning. because the correct tickets were still not available, we were told to turn in the waiver form after our time trial. S/G ran back to back runs. After our last time runs (two classes/four time runs), servicing customers, making scheduled appointments, putting on a converter seminar and eating dinner, I simply forgot to turn in my signed waiver form to the credential trailer. First round eliminations started at eight a.m. Saturday morning and we ran back to back super gas rounds; On the return road, NHRA officials were directing me back to the lanes. After winning second round of super gas, I was putting away my racing gear and realized my tech card and waiver form were never turned in. I immediately went to the credential trailer to make them aware of my mistake. An elder lady in the credential trailer got belligerent with me and I was told “you know better than this, this is not your first rodeo”. I was then told by the same person, “I am calling Graham Light” and shoved the one way viewing glass closed in my face. I stood there wondering why I was being treated this way for being honest. After all, I caught the oversite and brought it to their attention.Finally, the window opened again and I was told I would not get my waiver form or tech card back and "you might as well go back to your trailer, this is between you and Graham”. Before I left the credential trailer I asked if she needed my cell number and her response was a quick “No! I don't excpect to hear back from Graham" In total surprise by her attitude and actions, I returned to my scooter, but before I even got it started, I was called back to the trailer window and asked for my cell number. Next, I was told “I will let Graham know you would like to talk with him”. Within ten minutes I received a call from Graham and who said “I understand we have a problem”. Without ever being made aware of all the facts involved, I was informed by Mr. Light that "It's in black and white, any pass down the track without the proper paper work (waiver form and tech card) turned in is grounds for disqualification…period". Graham said he hated to disqualify me, but had no choice. Then he informed me that I was not only out in super gas, but super comp as well, even though we had not run first round and my proper paper work had been turned in. I really thought more time could have been spent researching the facts, especially when so many other racers were in the similar situation. I was later told another representative of NHRA in the tower, wanted all racers that ran time trials before turning in the paper work, disqualified when they ran first round, even though they were instructed to make their runs by NHRA officials. By now, most everyone, including many NHRA officials (except Graham) knew they had a ticketing problem. Now as a competitor/customer of NHRA the realization of me sending Kevin Kleinweber with our four car rig, over eighteen hundred miles, spending in excess of two thousand dollars in diesel fuel, seven hundred fifty dollars in entry fees and yet another weekend away from my family to be treated so disrespectful was overwhelming…Especially since in this poor economy, any good business man or woman should know the importance of customer relations. Not many companies could survive poor customer service. In the case of NHRA, as a sportsman racer, I feel we have few options. NHRA is a great venue for a company like Hughes to display and market our racing products. This is evident by the woking relationship Hughes Performance has had with NHRA as a major sponsor for several years. However; as a racer/customer I am very disappointed with the lack of consideration and respect some (not all) NHRA employees have for the sportsman racer. The treatment we receive makes me wonder why we all continue to support NHRA. That in itself is a scary thought. I love this sport and have spent thirty five years in a high performance family business, but my goal at this point is to inform the different racing originations, their owners, and employees that we do not deserve to stand in lines for over two hours for either tech or credentials, and then made felt like they are doing us a favor. We should be treated with the utmost courtesy and respect, regardless of being a racer or sponsor, We are the customer! However, not now or will I ever, as a racer, expect to be treated special or any different because I am a major sponsor. It is time for the sportsman racer to be recognized as a customer. Respect is something you earn, not demand. NHRA has my respect, But I would sure like to see some changes and better attitudes within the orginazation.Near the end of the Topeka national event Graham Light did approach me and personally apologize for making his decision before he was made aware of all the facts concerning the racers not having tickets and being told to “run anyway”. He would have allowed me to continue in super comp, but he stands by his decision on super gas. Good luck to everyone…………………………….Let’s race.
Jim Hughes"

From Bracket Talk:
Jim Hughes' Opinion Reguarding NHRA Disqualification - Topic Powered by eve community

Thanks Jeremy. That should pretty well clear things up for "most" of us.

I've only been a bystander to this mess, but I just gotta ask...

Why Doc, whatever do you mean??;)

I still don't get how criticism is viewed as NHRA bashing. Sure there is some of both that go on, and sometimes to the extreme, but we have also given credit where it is due, like the excellent job that NHRA and the Safety Safari did at Bristol.

Good to read Jim's explanation of all that happened. It does shed some light (no pun intended) on facts that weren't previously mentioned. Having read Jim's account, I'd have to say that his S/G DQ's, while they could be viewed as a black and white decision, could also have been a judgment call under unusual circumstances. Note that Jim didn't claim any other S/G competitors failed to have their waivers and tech cards in by the time eliminations started. That does explain why the ability to make a judgment call exemption in this one case became less likely (or unlikely) to happen. Having such an early start time didn't help matters. Not being a "morning person" myself, I can understand and sympathize with forgetting to do something right off the bat that early in the morning. At the Pro Am in Tulsa in April, I was at the track on time for the first runs in the morning. I had parked my car close to the tower and was ready to go to work. I popped open the trunk on my rental car, and quickly realized I had left a crucial piece of computer equipment in my luggage at the hotel that I needed to tap into the track timing system, and had I to go back to the hotel and get it.

IMO, DQ'ing him from S/C too was a huge mistake. Huge. All of his paperwork was in before the first round of eliminations in that class was run. Hopefully this incident will result in some changes in the process of communication between the various links in the chain of command. Had I found myself in the same situation, I would have asked to speak with Rob Park, even after Graham had handed down his decision. It may not have made a difference, but knowing Rob, he would have at least given Jim the time to fully explain his situation, and Rob is a link quite a bit higher up in the previously mentioned chain of command than the people working in the registration trailer or the staging lanes.

Thanks Jeremy, i was hoping to here Jim's side of story from him. I'm surprised that Graham L. made an apology to him.:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back