801 Racing’s Day Wins NitroJam aboard Candies & Hughes Funny Car (1 Viewer)

Port Allen, LA - It’s not every day when you get a phone call asking if you would like to drive a Nitro Funny Car for the weekend. That’s just what happened to 801 Racing driver James Day last week. Here he was wondering when would get a chance to drive again, and low and behold the call came in. The regular driver for the Candies and Hughes Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car was unable to make the IHRA Nitro Jam event and they needed someone to fill in. Day didn’t have to think twice. To make things even sweeter, Day and his new teammates went out and won the race.*

“It was very special to be back in Cajun country with the Candies and Hughes car and get the win,” said Day. “This was their home track. There were people coming up to us all weekend with tales of days gone by. Things like, ‘I remember when’, or ‘I saw them do this or that.’ *Every fan had a different story, and ‘how great it was to have the car back in Baton Rouge.’ It was a great connection to share.”

The weather was a major factor on the track surface. On Friday, the Candies and Hughes Team gathered what data they could and made the best of things. On Saturday, a 6.053/236.03 got the win light. The final round was delayed until Sunday morning, and on a still tricky racetrack, Day took the Ironman win with a strong 5.853/241.93 to beat Brad Thompson.

“To run a 5.85 in less than ideal conditions and get the win says something special about this team,” said Day. “The first time I ever sat in the car was on race day, and it’s my fourth different racecar in four months. I really want to thank Jim Broome, Spike Gore, Jim Basko, and the entire team. I also would like to thank 801 Racing, Bell Helmets, Osiris Shoes, Fatal Clothing, Entropy Resins, Go Pro Cameras, Speakeasy Original, and Beats by dr. dre for the opportunities they have provided me.”

The history of the Candies and Hughes name is spread over six decades and has won multiple championships in both IHRA and NHRA, and once in the same year. Many drivers have taken the name to victory. Leonard Hughes, Mark Oswald, Richard Tharp, Dave Settles, Leroy Goldstein, and now James Day can add his name to the list. The 2012 Mardi Gras Nitro Jam Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car champ remains humble about the honor. Day will hold the win in a special place in his heart, as he waits for that phone to ring again.*

We believe true happiness comes from blazing down the blacktop with the pedal to the metal and our hair on fire. The whiter our knuckles get, the better. If it were up to us, cars wouldn't even have brakes, just two gas pedals. It's this never-ending need for speed that drives everything we do. We spend countless hours in the lab and lying awake at night plotting and planning how to get more speed by any means possible. After decades of research and innovation, we've developed a complete line of performance and car care products designed to ensure that your ride lives up to its potential on the street and on the track. *We know what you want. We got what you need. We are 801 Racing. *For more information on 801 racing, please visit: www.801Racing.com*

Release courtesy of THR5 Communications

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back