Is Jim Dunn ever happy? (1 Viewer)

While we are at it let's just take the electronics(timers, computers, etc.) from the fuel cars. I would say Pro Stock but a A/FIA firebird is more electronically controlled than they are(no carbs unlike the present GTO).

I don't think thottle stop, delay boxes, etc. belong in drag racing, but just because I don't I will not condem it. I will be in the stands will they do run because I appricate all forms of drag racing. Watching guys like Scotty, Dan, Jeff, etc. staging a car and watching them at the finish line to me is a work of art. They are the drivers I can learn from since I am just a lowly bracket racer. But I also like the heads up as in class racing so with my superstock car, I have both ends covered.:)

I'm not a racer, but a big sportsman fan, and I agree 100%.

I don`t really see what the big deal is Justin. If Jim Dunn wants to voice his opinion on something, then he of all people should say whatever he wants. He`s only been doing this longer than you or I have been alive! Not everybody has Force type $$ and Jim`s just stating fact. No biggie

Jim Dunn is an icon. Being gruff is part of the package. What I don't understand is why he hasn't offered Mike the ride. I understand wanting your kid to earn his way, but once he's proved himself to be one of the best, give him the wheel.

Yeah, I really don't know what brought this topic on. I'm sure like everyone he has his good days and his bad days. He was always nice when we use to stop by his pit when we were kids. Jim is entitled to his opinion and I welcome it!

There was another driver who oddly enough had a Revell sponsorship and he came across as hating us pit rats and was really rude to me one time. I was shocked. I was a fan no more to that guy.

Jim Dunn is an icon. Being gruff is part of the package. What I don't understand is why he hasn't offered Mike the ride. I understand wanting your kid to earn his way, but once he's proved himself to be one of the best, give him the wheel.

I think it is more that son not wanting to drive for dad.

So, why can't you go heads up without the garbage on like real racers do? Or you're saying you can't do it without the electrics?

Heads up to the finish line usually means most money wins.(buys good parts, hires good drivers and good tuners) Electronics DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! I can put my car from A-B. But it's A different story making my car be there first by .01 or less and KNOWING it is there by .01 or less on purpose in a race where you can bet that reaction times are within .00x of each other.If you think a driver of a car with electronics on it is just ridin and winnin races , you are mistaken.The only electronics left on my car is a delay box and I run it all out.But I have to drive it the same as a car WITH electronics.ELECTRONICS DO NOT DRIVE CARS.I'll put my money on a bracket racer being able to win a heads up race with the right car.But I bet it will be a lot harder for an All out racer to win a bracket race or super race(same thing).Put money on it.

Heads up to the finish line usually means most money wins.(buys good parts, hires good drivers and good tuners) Electronics DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! I can put my car from A-B. But it's A different story making my car be there first by .01 or less and KNOWING it is there by .01 or less on purpose in a race where you can bet that reaction times are within .00x of each other.If you think a driver of a car with electronics on it is just ridin and winnin races , you are mistaken.The only electronics left on my car is a delay box and I run it all out.But I have to drive it the same as a car WITH electronics.ELECTRONICS DO NOT DRIVE CARS.I'll put my money on a bracket racer being able to win a heads up race with the right car.But I bet it will be a lot harder for an All out racer to win a bracket race or super race(same thing).Put money on it.

OH and BTW there are WAY MORE electronices on a fuel car making them get down the track than ANY super/ or bracket car.(Heck if a fuel car has an electronic MINOR GLITCH it's a loser.) All of which are pre programmed BEFORE a run and not making adjustments during a run.

nicely stated, you are correct, matter a fact, a super pro final the other night was won by .00001, thats right 4 zeros and a 1

hi Justin, i read your post and just wanted to say that Jim comes from a different era. He is an icon in the sport of drag racing, but you must remember that finding the proper funding to run these cars is not as easy as just going out and getting what you want. Some deals may take years to land and may require a substantial amount of your own money to get a large sponsor. I think, and it is just my opinion, that one Jim says "big money teams" he is just showing his feelings on the struggles to stay in the game of fuel racing on almost a privateers budget. Trust me when i say that if Jim could land a much bigger sponsors i am sure he wouldnt bat an eye at the opportunity. The few times i have had the pleasure to meet him he has been fantastic to me. Also remember when you have loved something as long as he has like the sport we are talking about, and he knows that he doesnt have all the time in the world left in his life, and any day can be are last, it must be very hard to deal with. He is a good guy, he just comes across a little brash. Thanks Gage Chaffee

My penny's worth here: (not worth both cents)

To each his/her own. Big Jim is what you want him to be. If you don't like him, he's cold, unapproachable, mean spirited and grumpy. If you do like him, he's an Icon, legend, big part of our sport's history and most importantly a major survivor. Which one do you like?

I'll bypass the sportsman racing derailment that's intertwined into this thread and just say I think they'd all have more fun with no electronics in the long run.

And he won't lose any sleep over it either way..........old school has his picture by it in the dictionary and I mean that in the BEST WAY!

I have also been able to approach Big Jim in the pits on more than one occasion. Once, it was the Finals at Pomona, '01 or '02 and Big Jim was pitted next to Skuza. It was well after the racing was over and it was dark and there were not very many fans milling around the pits when a kid asks Big Jim if he can have the clutch disk spacers sitting next to the trash can. Big Jim says "Sure kid, go ahead". The kid grabbed a couple and took off with his new prize and Big Jim turns to me and my dad and deadpans "Not mine anyway ... they belonged Skuza".

GREAT story:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back