Interesting segment on Wind Tunnel (2 Viewers)

i have to give kudos to marty and the gang that covered the boring irl race last night...a nice tribute and condolances to the medlen family, a fellow racer...i watched most of the bristol race today, but didn't see anything...disappointing...just venting a little...this is so sad!

I was watching IRL also and was touched that Marty took the time to honor Eric. I'll bet it was his idea too. Shame on that knucklehead producer for bringing in the music before Marty was finished.

it is true that there has been nobody fatally injured from wrecking a funny car in a very long time. Al Dapozzo sucumbed to burns, but aside from him, the last one that comes to mind is Dodger Glen.

No matter how safe you try to make this activity, no matter how many improvements can be made, things can still happen. We have nearly lost people in the sport from an accident loading/unloading the vehicle from the transporter.

To honor Eric, to ensure the legacy goes on, I for one would like to see all involved with his car, come back out swinging. There are plenty of fresh faces to bring up, and until then, get a veteran in the car, and run it like nobody's business. I can't think of a better way to remember the guy.

To honor Eric, to ensure the legacy goes on, I for one would like to see all involved with his car, come back out swinging. There are plenty of fresh faces to bring up, and until then, get a veteran in the car, and run it like nobody's business. I can't think of a better way to remember the guy.

Eric had a team, crew, and sponsors around him that wanted him to win every round at every event.

I would think they would like to be out their racing for him and his memory rather than packing it in until next year or forever.

My friends and I briefly discussed the future of JFR at the Arizona Super Association awards banquet Saturday...and frankly, it just felt like it wasn't even right voicing our opinions and conjecture. Most of the group standing around talking in hushed tones were fathers, and the clear consensus was that are hearts were breaking for John Medlen, it's just hard to think and feel at this point beyond that.

Being a young mid-western lad growing up around AHRA tracks in the formative years of Funny Car, when deaths in those machines are brought up, my mind immediately goes to Dickie Harrell, not sure how that fits in historical context..as it was completely emotional for me at that time.

Last edited:
I can't imagine what John Medlen is going through. However, I was told by someone that given the circumstances, Eric left doing what he loved, and the last person to look in his eyes would be his dad, as it is he who brings him up to the line and sends him off.

The last moment in his life was one where it was just Father and Son,,, as sad as it can be, the other side to it is how cool and grateful that it was a moment for just those two.

If in the next 6 seconds, without you knowing it, you are to leave this mortal life,,, who would you want to be as the last one you can see?

I can't imagine what John Medlen is going through. However, I was told by someone that given the circumstances, Eric left doing what he loved, and the last person to look in his eyes would be his dad, as it is he who brings him up to the line and sends him off.

The last moment in his life was one where it was just Father and Son,,, as sad as it can be, the other side to it is how cool and grateful that it was a moment for just those two.

If in the next 6 seconds, without you knowing it, you are to leave this mortal life,,, who would you want to be as the last one you can see?

Great post!

Dale... I have been thinking the same thing- great post.

The next time I put my son in the belts, I'm sure that will be going through my mind (and possibly his). Until that moment, my boys have been getting a bit tighter hugs every day- kinda like the ones I'd get when they were little and they used to take me to the airport before work.

I didn't sit down and watch much racing this weekend, but thought I recalled either the Busch or Nextel race having a segment with Cory Mac warming up his TF dragster, and him (Cory) mentioning "I'm devoting this to Eric and his family." Heard it mentioned several times on race broadcasts on the radio.

i have to give kudos to marty and the gang that covered the boring irl race last night...a nice tribute and condolances to the medlen family, a fellow racer...i watched most of the bristol race today, but didn't see anything...disappointing...just venting a little...this is so sad!

One of my friends said she thought one of the cars (maybe the Army car) had something on it about Eric.

I didn't sit down and watch much racing this weekend, but thought I recalled either the Busch or Nextel race having a segment with Cory Mac warming up his TF dragster, and him (Cory) mentioning "I'm devoting this to Eric and his family." Heard it mentioned several times on race broadcasts on the radio.

thanks for the update...

All the fuel cars at San Antonio had black tape through their numbers in memory of Eric and I am sure there will be memorial decals on most of the cars at Houston.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back