Incredible shrinking Drivers! (1 Viewer)

driver size

tafc seems to be the exception...

look at the guys hauling ass. manzo, payne, bucky...not flyweights.

i told harry about that. he asked me about newberry...

i told him, um, well, light drivers only work with newberry/veney heads....we run bae, gotta have that weight back there....

look at force. he used to kick ass when he was bigger. now he's all slimmed up, hasn't won a championship in a few years....

back to the treadmill....lol.:D

tafc seems to be the exception...

look at the guys hauling ass. manzo, payne, bucky...not flyweights.

i told harry about that. he asked me about newberry...

i told him, um, well, light drivers only work with newberry/veney heads....we run bae, gotta have that weight back there....

look at force. he used to kick ass when he was bigger. now he's all slimmed up, hasn't won a championship in a few years....

back to the treadmill....lol.:D

Once Lawren Jones put his son Shawn in his Alky FC they stepped up Huge! Of course Shawn looks around 170-180 lbs. Lawren was around 260 or more. Don't want to embarrass anyone but you get my point.

Last edited:
Once Lawren Jones put his son Shawn in his Alky FC they stepped up Huge! Of course Shawn looks around 170-180 lbs. Lawren was around 260 or more. Don't want to embarrass anyone but you get my point.

You may know the answer Joe, but how much would guess I that I weigh?

Any 'Mater that knows me or has seen me, what would you guess? The answer is forthcoming.:)

Jimmy Rector seemed to get down the track.
I'm not sure of his actual weight but he's got to be close to 300.

Vince, I guessed you at around 280-290 and you laughed! :eek:

lol, I remember that now Joe --- I wasn't sure if you knew or not.
About 10 years ago at 2 or 3 different Fairs/amusements parks I always won the huge teddy bears at the "guess your weight" booths... the guys always underbid by quite a bit.:p

Thanks for the kind comment about muscle Jamie.:D I wish I still had some, I'm more table muscle than the other right now. I was just telling my wife how I need to start lifting again, and running (can't forget the cardio). I want to get down to 250. Have to keep up with the kids... my step-son is a junior in H.S. & always wants to see if he can beat me in basketball or whatever. I use to be pretty good but I lost it all somewhere, I just don't know where?:eek:

I guess JR Todd or any other driver won't have to worry about me taking their ride.

what if?

not directed at any particular 'small' driver...

what happens to all that perfect balance ballast when your small driver can't cut a light or pedal to save a run? what if the small driver just likes to ride down track and doesn't stay on top of keeping it in the groove?

i'm not neccesarily saying i'm great at any of the above (after all i'm just a lencodrive driver..lol) but i'd sure hate to see size trump skill.

i knocked 30 lbs off last year, and hope to drop another 20 over the offseason.

i was 175 coming out of basic training 9 years ago...don't think i'm getting back down there for a few years...

I know that John Force doesn't seem to be quite as big as he used to be. At least to me. But what is it they say? Television adds 20lbs???

Jimmy Rector seemed to get down the track.
I'm not sure of his actual weight but he's got to be close to 300.

Your right, Jimmy Rector ran the numbers with everybody else. For any 300 lb driver to compete agains't drivers giving up 100lbs in the drivers' seat is amazing. Which is why all these PM guys hire him as a tuner.

As stated the P/S minimum is 2350, and most try to run about 2355/2360. Ideally, you want to carry about 75-90 lbs. of ballast, so a heavy driver (200+) will have a negative affect on how and where you can place the ballast. You really don't want a 200+ lb. lump sitting just in front of the left rear tire, because you will have to offset that weight somewhere else. A good P/S driver weight is 175 or less.

In a typical P/S car, the weight may be moved from front to rear and right to left and vice versa, between rounds to adjust to the changing race track conditions. With a heavy driver you may have difficulty making these weight adjustments. I know that there are a few P/S cars out there that actually run slightly over minimum weight because they have no removable ballast.

In some of these situations, it's not just the driver that has to go on a diet, the engine builder will have to make every effort to machine away any unnecessary engine weight, the chassis builder will keep weight down as safely as possible and even the weight of the paint may come into play. Weight is always your enemy.
Another problem is those drivers with long legs, but I don't want to get into that!

Regards,
Pat

Pat, thanks for coming and chiming in. It is nice to have you on the Mater.

It all comes down to the combination and the tune-up!
Weight only determines how good you will look in the fire suit. ;)

John Force has lost weight... and I'm sure on top of everything related to his racing he feels alot better after shedding some lbs.

Long legs are a problem, but adjustments for that can be easy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back