Incredible shrinking Drivers! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Think back to 1996 when Angelle Seeling was brought in as a Teammate with John Myers to Ride in PSB. I remember it was in Denver and even though I don't remember how well she did at that race. It was obvious in the races to come the advantage's of a 100 lb. rider in a class of 170-200 lb. riders. Soon after Harry Lartigue who was around 200 lbs. or higher put a Much smaller Michael Phillip's on his bike. Fast forward to now and just about every Rider in PSB are about the size of a Horse jockey. If there's one that tips the scales over 160 lbs. I haven't seen him. That trend seems to have taken hold in all of the other Pro classes. Think of the performance disadvantages Doug Herbert, Tim Wilkerson and Bob Gilbertson face every time they pull up to stage. As Tom Hammonds makes his comeback in '07 in PS, I wonder how competitive a 250 lb.+ driver can be in PS? I just don't see how Hammonds or Larry Nance could ever be competitive in such a weight concious(sp?) class. While I'm as happy for Hillary Will as anyone that she was given an opportunity to compete in TF. You have to know that the fact that she weighs just 100 lbs. had to be considered. At Testing in Phoenix back in Jan. one member of the Kalitta team told me they had to add weight to Hillary's car to make weight. And that was the first time he had ever seen that! I'm not sure what JR Todd or Steve Torrence weigh but it's Not much. In case some of you think this is a Hit piece, it's not at all. But at Dallas a fellow Mater who took his kid in the Pits for autographs mentioned to me "I didn't realize How small these Guys are" Ya think????:eek:

Last edited:
Hey..J. Line is a pretty good size dude!! Doesn't seem to be affecting his ride eh?

I see your point though, Joe.

That's a good observation Joe. I think that as far as the drivers weight goes, one of the few advantages with a lighter driver is you add weight to the vehicle and you can place it where you want. Other than that, I really don't think the driver weight is that big of an issue. I know that it's not easy at all to do, but they build the cars as light as possible to compensate for the driver's weight. Just MHO. :)

So I might have a chance... haha. I doubt that's the only reason, but it can't hurt either. I'm sure they aren't out there soley looking for the lightest driver they can find.

My crew chief once told me "we need to lose 50 lbs off the car....go on a diet".. I lost the 50 lbs and low and behold, the car did go a little faster..lol

They like lighter drivers because it is easier to move weight around on a car or a bike that way. If you have a heavier driver you are somewhat limited in where you place the weight. And placing the weight in different places will actually make the car or bike go slower or faster depending on where you place it. So it might not be a huge advantage but it is a slight one!

Unlike the IRL, NHRA, like most other motorsports series, the cars/bikes are weighed with the driver/rider in/on the vehicle, so like others have said it does give that team an advantage on the track, just what they have to take off the car/bike to reach the minimum weight. IRL on the other hand, does not include the driver, so a lighter driver would be an advantage on the track. I think that was Robby Gordon's point last year when he complained about Danica. It was nothing personal against her, just that IRL should change the rule like the other series.
One thing I do know, is that most drivers are less than 5-foot-8, which I like since I'm 5-5:)

They like lighter drivers because it is easier to move weight around on a car or a bike that way. If you have a heavier driver you are somewhat limited in where you place the weight. And placing the weight in different places will actually make the car or bike go slower or faster depending on where you place it. So it might not be a huge advantage but it is a slight one!

Not only that, but the fact that Building the Lightest car possible is VERY Expensive! I heard Mike Dunn say once it cost $1,000 per pound when you look at all the Titanium these guys are using.

Interesting thread, I was thinking the same thing recently.
The one formula I have seen thrown around is
For every 100 lbs. you remove, = drop a tenth off the ET.
Don't know if that is b.s. or not.:confused:
If that's true, I have about a hundreth around my midsection :p

Last edited:
That's a good observation Joe. I think that as far as the drivers weight goes, one of the few advantages with a lighter driver is you add weight to the vehicle and you can place it where you want. Other than that, I really don't think the driver weight is that big of an issue. I know that it's not easy at all to do, but they build the cars as light as possible to compensate for the driver's weight. Just MHO. :)
Yeah, and I would think it matters so much more on a bike because the riders weight is roughly 25% of the total combined weight, where in a car it is more like 8-10%.........................

So Joe you're saying that I might have a problem when I get behind the wheel of a TAFC, and Star Mazda open wheel car one day.:eek: :)

$$$$$$$$$ I just need a few more (a lot more) bucks, not pounds --- huh?

While we are talking about weight... I heard K. Johnson say (after they repaired his car) that they had to remove about 22 lb that was added to the front when it was repaired...

How much weight is added to PS cars to meet the weight requirement.. I didn't think they had that much extra weight added to them...

I think the weight rule is 2350 ?

Last edited:
Pro Stock min is 2350, most folks run at 2360 just to be safe and there are a lot of lead pucks around the car.

S/F
D

Imagine how many races your dad might have won if he'd been skinny!

As stated the P/S minimum is 2350, and most try to run about 2355/2360. Ideally, you want to carry about 75-90 lbs. of ballast, so a heavy driver (200+) will have a negative affect on how and where you can place the ballast. You really don't want a 200+ lb. lump sitting just in front of the left rear tire, because you will have to offset that weight somewhere else. A good P/S driver weight is 175 or less.

In a typical P/S car, the weight may be moved from front to rear and right to left and vice versa, between rounds to adjust to the changing race track conditions. With a heavy driver you may have difficulty making these weight adjustments. I know that there are a few P/S cars out there that actually run slightly over minimum weight because they have no removable ballast.

In some of these situations, it's not just the driver that has to go on a diet, the engine builder will have to make every effort to machine away any unnecessary engine weight, the chassis builder will keep weight down as safely as possible and even the weight of the paint may come into play. Weight is always your enemy.
Another problem is those drivers with long legs, but I don't want to get into that!

Regards,
Pat

Think back to 1996 when Angelle Seeling was brought in as a Teammate with John Myers to Ride in PSB. I remember it was in Denver and even though I don't remember how well she did at that race. It was obvious in the races to come the advantage's of a 100 lb. rider in a class of 170-200 lb. riders. Soon after Harry Lartigue who was around 200 lbs. or higher put a Much smaller Michael Phillip's on his bike...
Phillips rode for Lartigue in 1992.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back