I was going to put this in the Garlit's thread, but it got locked. Glad Larry Sutton's was all over it. (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Larry to the rescue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830_010004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240830_010004_Chrome.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 269
Randy
After all these years I still get emotional when I see the pictures of that day. look between my feet the coupler was still rolling around. the only funny thing about that day is TC Lemon (RIP) running behind me said so many times Sutton you cheated, how in the hell did you beet me there.
Thank you Randy
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Randy
After all these years I still get emotional when I see the pictures of that day. look between my feet the coupler was still rolling around. the only funny thing about that day is TC Lemon (RIP) running behind me said so many times Sutton you cheated, how in the hell did you beet me there.
Thank you Randy
Larry Sutton---🤠
Larry , as someone who witnessed (arguably) the most iconic moment in drag racing history, Garlits clutch explosion, have you ever put down in detail what you recall about that day/event? I would love to hear any "behind the scenes" info, helping Tim Ditt that day, etc. that may not be commonly known. Thanks

Larry , as someone who witnessed (arguably) the most iconic moment in drag racing history, Garlits clutch explosion, have you ever put down in detail what you recall about that day/event? I would love to hear any "behind the scenes" info, helping Tim Ditt that day, etc. that may not be commonly known. Thanks
Transmission explosion!

Transmission explosion!

Yes, it was a transmission explosion, caused by a lack of oil inside the unit. They were rushing him to get to the lanes for the final, and Garlits thought he had it full, when it actually didn't have much oil in there at all.

To answer Steve's question, I highly recommend the 2-volume soft-cover books "Don Garlits' R.E.D." by Mickey Bryant. There is a ton of info in these books that I had never seen until I read those books. A lot of detail about the end of the front engine dragsters, and the trials and tribulations Garlits and Swingle went thru getting that car to work. And many more pictures of that fateful day at Lions. A great read for us hard-core drag racing fans. Also, Bryant tells the whole story of Larry Sutton and Tim Ditt in his books. By the way, anyone here ever seen the YouTube video of the explosion? Some guy in the stands filmed it. It's really something.

PS: I am with Swingle. They are really "Front Driver" cars, not rear-engine cars. The location of the engine never really changed in relation to the front and rear wheels. The driver was just moved from behind the engine (and between the rear tires) to in front of the engine.

Last edited:
Randy
Thank you Randy
Larry Sutton---🤠

Hey Larry, I wish you would sit down some day and write a book with all the stories you have. Or sit down with a microphone and just talk for hours about all the stories you know the back stories on.

While most of us have heard the surface of many of the larger racing stories, you have inside information on just about everything that ever happened during drag racing's formative years because you knew all the guys, you knew what happened because you saw it or they told you, and you know why "stuff" happened. In all honesty, it would be interesting stuff that would keep us up for hours reading. Kinda like when you and I were on the phone a while back and you started on some stories and I couldn't get enough of them. The royalties alone would provide for your kids for years.

The only other guy I've sat in front of to hear the crazy side of stories was John Force back when he still had his shop next door to George Striegel's Clay Smith Cams in Fullerton. He puts a spin on the back side of stories that can't be beat. I think it's something Force should do as well, before time takes its toll, and we start to lose those who remember them and can still tell them.

I'm sitting here, chuckling, thinking a lot of the stories you could tell actually required you to duck to avoid getting hit by parts, pieces, or fists. LOL.

Randy

I feel partially responsible for that thread beeing locked but I'm glad you found a way to post that photo.

Seeing that video gives me chills. I never want to witness something like that.
As far as the timing of the shot, this still photo of Garlits' explosion ranks up there with Prudhomme's fiery flight through the lights at Seattle. This was during the time of film cameras that were lucky to fire off more than three or four frames per second, compared to today's digital equipment that grabs 7 to 10 frames per second.
Does anybody know the name of the photographer who got this shot? I haven't found who did it.
Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 20.08.20.png

If you do decide to put words to paper, may I suggest having Elena Scherr co-write it with you. She did Snake book.

Ok here's one. The Great TC Lemon (Garlits crew chief) had a T-shirt made that said I couldn't tell my mom that is was a drag racer for the last 20 years. So I told her I was in PRISON.😊
Larry Sutton---🤠

We used to have dinner at Cris and Pitts on Washington Blvd in Whittier many years ago when car painter Wild Bill Carter was driving his top fuel dragster. Our waitress was his mom, JoAnne. Bill asked us to please keep quiet about his driving because he told his mom he quit, and she would throw a fit if she found out.

Last edited:
Last one today. Years ago I called Garlits and asked him if he would like my LIONS coat that is in the video above. He said absolutely. I said I would bring it to Bakersfield next week. I was going out of the bathroom at Bakersfield as Don was going in. I said Hi Don. He said LARRY I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU, he kept saying it. I said what is the deal. Don said a guy came by his trailer 15 minutes ago and said did you here about Larry Sutton he said NO, the guy said he had a he had a heart attack last night and died. 😇 not yet LOL
Larry Sutton---🤠

I saw that crash at Lions. Thot Garlits had been killed. History in the making. Was there the next year when Garlits brought out the back motor or front driver car. Heard that Pappy Hart told Garlits if the car didn't go straight, he wouldn't be allowed to run. The Garlits crash was the one thing I will always remember.

When Don returned to Lions with the rear engine car many big name racers were saying that Don lost part of his foot, But he must have lost part of his brain also. "WHAT IS HE THINKING" after a couple of runs. It changed to "LETS TAKE A CLOSER LOOK" at that thing. And that was with out a rear wing.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back