Larry Sutton sighting. (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
I posted this on Facebook, but I know Larry doesn't do Facebook, but I wanted him to see it. In the process of my move to Idaho I found this picture in my stash of photos from our bracket racing days at OCIR. Jeff Rakowitz and his beautiful big block Chevy powered ex-pro stock Vega running bracket one with my pal Larry Sutton at the switch. I used to work with Jeff at NuCarPrep in Santa Fe Springs, CA. We used to do the all you can eat Pizza at Shakey's lunchtime "Bunch a Lunch," and somehow got away with it. Not now, though! I'm guessing this was 1978 or so.

In all honesty, if we posted all the drag racing pictures with Larry Sutton in them, Nitromater would run out of bandwidth or whatever you call it. Larry started so many cars back in the day at almost every race track in California that he's in just about every picture.

1675850217945.png

Last edited:
It used to be said that the most photographed in drag racing was Buster Couch. OK, I think Larry has passed him.

Is there any way Larry could be the starter at Bakersfield this year? Especially for T/F. :)

My favorite pictures of Larry was of course at Lions with his striped shirt, black cowbow hat. My view the best starter ever.

TopFuel@Lions
The greatest weekly drag strip........ever!

Guys thanks for the good words. I am sure I have started more cars that any other starter. I have started cars for over 60 years, Including in New Zealand an for many years every weekend. yes Randy I have ruined a lot of pictures during the years I have started LOL. I am HOPING to go to the march meet but that has been put on hold at this time. the Circuit Breaker truck was stolen this week and if the can't find one to use they won't be going. PS; another reason I am so glad I moved out of California to paradise in Cedar City Utah.
Hoping to go 🤞
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Last edited:
Guys thanks for the good words. I am sure I have started more cars that any other starter. I have started cars for over 60 years, Including in New Zealand an for many years every weekend. yes Randy I have ruined a lot of pictures during the years I have started LOL. I am HOPING to go to the march meet but that has been put on hold at this time. the Circuit Breaker truck was stolen this week and if the can't find one to use they won't be going. PS; another reason I am so glad I moved out of California to paradise in Cedar City Utah.
Hoping to go 🤞

Eagle, Idaho, to Cedar City, Utah, even though Idaho and Utah share a border, is about an all day drive. Almost 600 miles. How am I supposed to stop by for lunch? :cool:

Hoping to go 🤞
The truck was recovered with a little damage. time to go RACING.😁

I got out in 1981, but just cuz I wanted to, not cuz California had become commiefornia. I HATE seeing my home state become so messed up.
So can I blame you for starting the migration that has happened to Arizona? lol

I think next year I am going to hit either the FC Chaos in Texas or March Meet since we wont have a national event next year. I have wanted to hit those for awhile now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back