Hight runs 339! (2 Viewers)

Math aside, X rpm by X gear ratio by X tire diameter = MPH no more.
If they were running 1320 still they would have to back down the 1000 ft numbers to stay off the rev limiter and keep it together until the finish.

1000 ft might even be a better scenario for top speed in Nitro classes. Look at the 660 numbers bumping 300 mph.
Also FC has less ignition timing retardation and higher rpm allowed, so if TF was allowed the same they would be faster, it is not apples to apples here.

Math aside, X rpm by X gear ratio by X tire diameter = MPH no more.
If they were running 1320 still they would have to back down the 1000 ft numbers to stay off the rev limiter and keep it together until the finish.

1000 ft might even be a better scenario for top speed in Nitro classes. Look at the 660 numbers bumping 300 mph.
Also FC has less ignition timing retardation and higher rpm allowed, so if TF was allowed the same they would be faster, it is not apples to apples here.

Right, that's what I meant earlier about making it a level playing field for both classes.

If he would of had a painted, buffed then waxed body he would of went 340. those wraps are "sticky" in the air......

Throw everything out. For the sake of arguement, 1/4 mile, no limit on nitro, just run the thing as fast as you can. So what would be the point where you can't run any faster? Tires? Aerodynamics? The G forces on the driver? And stopping..... If you could go 450 MPH, say the ET would be 2 seconds + - and then you have to stop the car. What would the G forces be with acceleration & deceleration? I remember some years ago, Dale Pulde was driving a team car for testing purposes at Firebird in Phx. Made 4 runs and had some bruises from the seat belts on deceleration. That really made an impression on me & is why I think the human body would be the ultimate point where you can't go any faster. I know that someone has run close to 1000 MPH in a rocket car on a closed course, but I don't think even then that the acceleration was as intense as a nitro car.

Right now it is tires, cars at Bonneville that go faster run solid tires, not very good for drag racing.
G forces on acceleration are probably tolerable to the body, the deceleration would probably not be, would need to coast for a while.
even now I am sure the MPH capability is a lot higher than they are going due to tire slippage, have to do some math and figure it out. I am not positive of the rear end ratio, 3:23 ????? RPM 8300 tire circumference 151 "

Well using the above numbers, 396.37 mph. That would be zero slippage, not necessarily in a 1/4 mile just what is maximun within those parameters.

Right now it is tires, cars at Bonneville that go faster run solid tires, not very good for drag racing.
G forces on acceleration are probably tolerable to the body, the deceleration would probably not be, would need to coast for a while.
even now I am sure the MPH capability is a lot higher than they are going due to tire slippage, have to do some math and figure it out. I am not positive of the rear end ratio, 3:23 ????? RPM 8300 tire circumference 151 "

3.20 is the ratio
Alan

pretty sure that 3:20 was in place in '92 with KB 300mph pass?......same size tires, same length chassis, basically same
aero package.......now increase fuel volume and massage engine and clutch components.....if steve evans would have
told kenny in that top end interview at gainesville all those years ago "congratulations kenny, you just surpassed the 300mph mark!,
BUT.......in 25 years a FC will go 340mph in 1000' ".......kenny would have looked at steve and thought it was april 1st.

what's happening today really is mind boggling

I believe that in the 1990's, T/F had ratios like 2.70 or 2.90, & those were changed to the current 3.20 ratio due to speed increases. I agree, it is amazing what the cars are running today. Consider that they run OHV engines, based on a Hemi design from the early 1950's. Makes you wonder what a DOHC design would be capable of. Or if the fuel classes could run a bigger blower or screw blower, or more than 500" engines. Yeah, I know, dream on.... Heh

For those of you thinking running TF against an FC with a handicap head start would be fun, have you ever stood on the starting line beside one of these when they take off? When lined up the TF driver's seating position is behind the funny car's headers in the other lane. The TF driver's vision would go blurry before he saw his side of the handicapped tree come on. They would need a sound wall or something on the starting line down the centerline.

Go to 2:35 in this video. It gives me...goose bumps. BOOM......BOOM

would they actually go faster or blow the tires off, I think the limiting factor is traction now. If they had perfect traction now they could run in the 390 mph range now, based on math

would they actually go faster or blow the tires off, I think the limiting factor is traction now. If they had perfect traction now they could run in the 390 mph range now, based on math

If there was zero tire slip, they wouldn't be able to get out of their own way. They need a little tire slip. With out it, it would pull the motor down and go in to severe tire shake. Then it would either be an aborted run or a pedal job.

If there was zero tire slip, they wouldn't be able to get out of their own way. They need a little tire slip. With out it, it would pull the motor down and go in to severe tire shake. Then it would either be an aborted run or a pedal job.
Correct, I believe that's why they "blacktrack" start to finish".

Right. It's that whole "wheel speed" thing they talk about and why it needs to "get up on the tire." Best understood as controlled wheelspin. It seems counter-intuitive, but initially slipping the tire a little allows them to accelerate faster.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back