Hight runs 339! (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Robert Hight ran the fastest speed EVER, regardless of class, 339.87. At 1000". With a funny car. With the way the clocks are now, that was 340 when he crossed the 1000' mark. WOW!!!!!

F/C has dethroned the dragsters as the kings of the sport.

Argh, dyed in the wool T/F guy that I am, gotta admit that F/C is now the fastest. I think the rev limiter is killing the T/F speeds. But, T/F is still quickest & fastest in 1/8 mile. Leah P ran 2.92 - 296 1/8 mile on her 3.66 run last nite (only 304 MPH), & some T/F have run 299 in the 1/8. Well, I made a comment years ago that F/C is really a short wheelbase dragster with a streamlined body, so if you wanted to really stretch a point, you could kinda say that a funny car is a streamliner..... So if you could get the funny car to weigh the same as a dragster, would we be looking at 345 MPH in the 1000' ? Wait, I hear someone saying "slow 'em down". heh

Pull the rev limiter off of T/F, That's what is making them slower and making them look like the red headed step child to F/C.

Pull the rev limiter off of T/F, That's what is making them slower and making them look like the red headed step child to F/C.

I recall in the late '70s....or '80s....I don't know, been around this sport for so long. Let me start over. Once upon a time NHRA was on the TF guys to up their game to maintain their "Kings of the Sport" status, because the Funnies were beginning to steal it away. I don't know if NHRA doesn't care about that now, or if they just realize the dragsters' potential is still greater but they don't want them going faster. Personally I like both, although in my mind the dragsters should be the Kings since they are the purest expression of a vehicle purposely designed for maximum acceleration and speed. They make no pretense about being a "car" in the traditional sense of having an automotive type body.

No disrespect to the FC guys at all, but I do believe both classes should be on equal footing and let performance fall where it may.

This isn't the first time a Funny Car held the fastest speed title. Back in the 90's, John Force ran faster than any TFD at the time. Force called it something like "A New Breed of Speed" and Kenny Bernstein threw a fit over Force using the word "Speed", as if he (Bernstein) owned the word "Speed"!

Will soon be TF vs FC may actually field 16 cars....................and a few DNQ's...........

They tried it T/F against F/C but the handicap on the tree F'ed them up, One leaving a split second before the other. What would be your reaction when the guy in the other lane stomps on the fuel pedal? hit it too and red light?

I think the first time an FC was faster than any TF car was briefly in 1985. Snake ran 266 at Bristol (?) passing Garlits' 265 at Atlanta a few weeks earlier. They had been tied a few times prior; 257.87 in 83 and 260.11 (for about an hour at the 84 Gators).

Not uncommon for funny car to out MPH top fuel. Multiple reasons for it. Level the playing field and see what happens.

They tried it T/F against F/C but the handicap on the tree F'ed them up, One leaving a split second before the other. What would be your reaction when the guy in the other lane stomps on the fuel pedal? hit it too and red light?

Yeah and John Force in the Superman FC won the whole thing!
Which means? LOL

Yeah and John Force in the Superman FC won the whole thing!
Which means? LOL

Nothing! Cory Mac won the next year and the event ended with a 1-1 tie. We need a tiebreaker race now. The Mello Yello Million has a nice ring to it...

Just a pipe dream? Maybe.. but so was 340mph once...

You guys do realize that you are grasping at trying to recreate pro comp , with what is left of the sport - right..??? aint never gonna happen...

I still miss Pro Comp, best class ever! Some the absolute coolest cars in the sport came from the Pro Comp era. It also launched many pro careers, for drivers as well as tuners.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back