Big Speeds At The Plex (1 Viewer)

twostep

Nitro Member
Great conditions and a gorilla track that was well prepped had some of the better fuel cars shooting for the moon. Rumor was that Hight intended to put his car in the 70s and break the 340 barrier at the same time (He ran 3.79/339.87 6 years ago with laid back headers). But he blew the tires off after posting better short numbers than Tasca's 3.82/335. Justin Ashley raan 338.40, a track record and one of the fastest TF speeds of all time. Salinas was out for a double (300 to the 660, 340 to the 1000) but the car just wasn't up to it. 3 cars ran agonizingly close to 300 at the 6.60 - 299+ each for Torrence, Kalitta and Ashley. A couple of the factory stock Challengers ran in the mid 180s; a couple of nitro T/AD's ran 280+. Herrera set a track PSM speed record at 203+. And to top off a quick and fast day, pit rats were treated to at least 3 teams I'm aware of that whacked the throttle, making the whole trip worth the trouble.

Weekend conditions look great; those numbers might not hold.

Last edited:
So tantalizingly close to 340! I'm beginning to think we won't see 340 with the current rules.

So tantalizingly close to 340! I'm beginning to think we won't see 340 with the current rules.
Conditions at 5pm this evening will support it if someone decides to go for it. Better than yesterday. I think the timing retard is more of a factor keeping the cars below 340 than anything but we'll see. Somebody might 'slingshot' past it and do the deed. Ashley wouldn't have been my choice for a new Motorplex speed record but I guess any of the top cars can bust a number when the stars are in alignment.

One big GRRRRRR.....ONE fountain drink was $15. ONE chicken-on-a-stick and a bottled water was $25. Geezus. I decided not to participate in that insanity...o_O

Conditions at 5pm this evening will support it if someone decides to go for it. Better than yesterday. I think the timing retard is more of a factor keeping the cars below 340 than anything but we'll see. Somebody might 'slingshot' past it and do the deed. Ashley wouldn't have been my choice for a new Motorplex speed record but I guess any of the top cars can bust a number when the stars are in alignment.

One big GRRRRRR.....ONE fountain drink was $15. ONE chicken-on-a-stick and a bottled water was $25. Geezus. I decided not to participate in that insanity...o_O
Somebody has to pay for that friday night low et money lol

Holy cow. While NHRA’s ticket prices are more than reasonable, those concession prices are ridiculously expensive.
There’s no real justification for it.
I’m all for somebody making a profit, but I don’t want to pump up their 401(k) at the same time.

Is it free refills? We did that last year. Bought one and used it for three days. At $5 day not a bad deal. $15 for a single soda? I would pass on that too.

Friday night was crazy nitro night. Saturday was crazy Pro Stock. Anderson ran the quickest pass in the last five years. Gaige set the national ET record by .04 and second fastest ever. Amazing run to destroy the ET record like that.

I think we all had a feeling that Gaige would reset the record some time soon but I didn't think that he would obliterate it in the manner that he did.

15 dollars for a fountain drink should be an arrestable offense.
$15 at every booth. $5 for a water was bad enough. Guess they all get together and fix the prices. The ticket was $70....they've gone up....but at least I got 8 hours of entertainment out of it.

holy &h#t what a performance fest ...... these will be fastest fields ever?
psb: 11 of 16 bikes in 6.8's
ps: 16 cars 6.53 and under
fc: 8 of 16 cars in 3.8's
tf: 12 of 16 diggers in 3.6's
........and there's still Q4 to go

Friday night was crazy nitro night. Saturday was crazy Pro Stock. Anderson ran the quickest pass in the last five years. Gaige set the national ET record by .04 and second fastest ever. Amazing run to destroy the ET record like that.
What the hell makes that bike nearly a tenth quicker than everyone else? Has NHRA not found the nitrous yet? (that's a joke). I've read where it's something about the way he transfers his weight that produces stellar lauches - 1.02 on this 6.62 pass. :oops:

15 dollars for a fountain drink should be an arrestable offense.
rail drinks at the wheelie bar @ bir are only $6! ....... during the national event.

it is amazing to think that PS had a 6.55 bump 11 years ago. wonder if top positions were in high 6.4's back then?

rail drinks at the wheelie bar @ bir are only $6! ....... during the national event.

it is amazing to think that PS had a 6.55 bump 11 years ago. wonder if top positions were in high 6.4's back then?
I don't recall that many qualifying in the 6.40s at one time, but for the most part they were quicker and faster. 215.55 (Enders) was set nearly 10 years ago back in the days of carbs and unlimited rpm. Enders also won her first championship with a 6.49 in 2014. Pro Stocks couldn't outrun a Super Gas car for quite some time (2016) until they sorted out the EFI/10,500 limit which was a huge change for those cars.

How 'bout Angelle? First national event outing in a T/AD, qualifies 16th and she dumps the #1 qualifier, Coughlin, in the first round of eliminations. The girl's gotta be pretty pumped. Coughlin didn't red light or blow the tires off, either - she simply outran him.

Q4 was spectacular for the Nitro cars. Y'all might want to watch the tv coverage so I won't post the numbers, other than to say the track speed record was reset again - and not by a dragster.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back