Big Speeds At The Plex (1 Viewer)

$15 at every booth. $5 for a water was bad enough. Guess they all get together and fix the prices. The ticket was $70....they've gone up....but at least I got 8 hours of entertainment out of it.
At alot of venues, not only NHRA, the track operators insist on the vendors buy most if not all of their products from them. At inflated prices. PLUS not sure if the vendors are in there on a flat rate or percentage of sales. Same thing I am sure the NHRA gets a cut of everything and believe me they are not at the bottom of the totem pole!

At alot of venues, not only NHRA, the track operators insist on the vendors buy most if not all of their products from them. At inflated prices. PLUS not sure if the vendors are in there on a flat rate or percentage of sales. Same thing I am sure the NHRA gets a cut of everything and believe me they are not at the bottom of the totem pole!
'Granted this was Phoenix, but there was a food truck that was at pretty much every event for several years that I always got nachos and a soda from. They stopped showing up a couple years ago but I saw them at a different event. I asked them how come they no longer were at the track and the husband and wife said that between the tribe/track's take (which kept increasing) of the percentage and what NHRA took at the nationals and divisionals it was no longer feasible for them to set up shop. It also did not help that one year we basically lost a Saturday (only one session) due to rain and they really took a hit. They told me they could setup at a car show or some other morning event and then hit an evening event and make a lot more per hour than setting up all day at the NHRA race when most of their sales happened in a 4-5 hour period.

Qualifying was insane this weekend. So many notable runs, two that stand out are Cowie's 5.12 and Clontz's 6.70. Pro Stock was a bazooka fight. Quickest field ever and .026 between 1-13 and .05 separating 1-16. It's anyone's game today and with the expected weather I would imagine several losing runs that would have qualified #1. Top Fuel was another bazooka fight with .66s being cheap in the final session. The fact that Schumacher ran a .69 and is 12th is crazy, that has to be the most cars in the .60s in qualifying. Also crazy to see Hart at 3.738 and 15th! I'll be glued to my computer today watching the action.

Quickest Pro Stock field ever:
Bump: 6.536
Old Record: 6.555 [Gainesville in 2012 ]
AND - there is only .05 from low qualifier to the bump. This has to be the tightest field ever as well as the quickest. Hard to imagine that many cars in the mid 6.50 ‘s going home.

AND - there is only .05 from low qualifier to the bump. This has to be the tightest field ever as well as the quickest. Hard to imagine that many cars in the mid 6.50 ‘s going home.
I've tried, but I can't get excited by an all-Chevy eliminator.

I enjoy listening to the NHRA regular announcers (Reinhart, Castello, Galvin), but really dislike the "Texas" announcers. They add nothing.

No, Severance ran 5.121 at Vegas in 2019. Joey and Shawn are tied for the quickest blown alcohol pass in history.
Thanks for the clarification, Jim. :) Friday's TAD announcer, don't recall his name, stated that Cowie's 5.155 pass (E2, All-Star Race) was only 1 thousandth off the TAD supercharged record. That's what I was basing my statement on.

I've tried, but I can't get excited by an all-Chevy eliminator.
That's what is so exciting about the up-and-coming Factory X cars. Still, Pro Stock isn't the only all-Chevy eliminator - every World Of Outlaws car looks alike and runs Chevrolet SBC power, with the possible exception of a 410 Ford engine I read about somewhere that Tony Stewart was developing. Pretty exciting class considering the only difference is the color of the paint and the number on the side.

That's what is so exciting about the up-and-coming Factory X cars. Still, Pro Stock isn't the only all-Chevy eliminator - every World Of Outlaws car looks alike and runs Chevrolet SBC power, with the possible exception of a 410 Ford engine I read about somewhere that Tony Stewart was developing. Pretty exciting class considering the only difference is the color of the paint and the number on the side.
Toyota has a TRD 410 also.

didn't know where to post this, so i guess here, kind of a suedo texas thread........today, 10/23 nhraracer.com reports clay millican DQ'd from texas race
due to violating 'loose ballast' rule. $5k fine ......... anyone know anything further about this one? i'd kinda' like to hear what was found on this one.
do you even make $5k for a semi-final loss? i'm assuming his points from texas are negated as well?

didn't know where to post this, so i guess here, kind of a suedo texas thread........today, 10/23 nhraracer.com reports clay millican DQ'd from texas race
due to violating 'loose ballast' rule. $5k fine ......... anyone know anything further about this one? i'd kinda' like to hear what was found on this one.
do you even make $5k for a semi-final loss? i'm assuming his points from texas are negated as well?
I’m just guessing that he would keep the winnings. I’m pretty sure it is more than 5K. The points is what he would definitly lose. Kind of crazy that it was over a week after the event that it was posted. I also find it odd that Ryan McClanahan was DQ’d for his wheelbase in Texas as well. I’m curious to what was deemed illegal? If it was too long or short wouldn’t that be a mistake by the builder? Also how long has the car been in competition prior?

Last edited:
15 dollars for a fountain drink should be an arrestable offense.

I spotted this in the pits. $15 doesn't seem like too much. 😎

1698111712917.png

......Ryan McClanahan was DQ’d for his wheelbase in Texas as well.......
it was post race inspection after SS E1 jegs allstars. ryan posted over on classracer.com. takes responsibility for not checking his car's wheelbase prior to event.

Last edited:
From what I’ve been able to read, it was a bag of lead shot that was placed in the front of the chassis, near the fuel tank, which Clay said was customary, and he didn’t know how it came out, but it did after the wheel stand at Dallas. NHRA notified him six days later. I’m a little weirded out by this one and NHRA. The team accepted it, apparently. It did put Brittany force one position ahead, and it was consistent with what they penalized Tony Stewart for with the magnetos. I don’t know. I just don’t know about this one I refrain from more opinions because I just don’t have a facts.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back