Heart Like A Wheel (1 Viewer)

depends heavily on the age of the random person. the funny thing is, if you asked a random group of under 30's, there mite be a good chance their answer would still
be a female. erica.
Or over 55/60 it would probably be Garlits. I was match racing in Tucson in 1971 and a guy walks up who had very broken- almost no English and stood there looking for awhile. I said "Hi" and asked if he wanted to know anything. He shrugged his shoulders and looked at another guy who was standing there. I guess the other guy asked him if he wanted to know something. They talked a little bit and then he said "Do you know Don Garleeets". I said I have talked to him and I know his "Helper". I also said I raced him once and he beat me. They talked and laughed - then waved and left.

depends heavily on the age of the random person. the funny thing is, if you asked a random group of under 30's, there mite be a good chance their answer would still
be a female. erica.
not sure if it would be Erica. Even though she's had a storied career, she is not racing in the premier class, in NHRA racing. Should Brittany F or Lea start reeling of the wins and a few more championship, one of them will probably become the face of drag racing. Most of the top list of women athletes, i've seen, doesn't even include Erica, despite Danica Patrick often being included!

did not suggest that erica would make any list of top women athletes, or female sports personalities; only possible recognition by name to a youthful audience based primarily
on her earlier movie and less on her actual on-track achievements. to most sports fans young and old, she is a nobody, the same as brittany, leah, and every other 'professional' nhra driver.
IMO the majority of youth have no idea who john force is; they are more likely to know the names of 'street outlaw' drivers, if they know any racing drivers at all.
maybe when the pep boys shootout resumes @ indy, they can re-air 90 minutes of interviewing and fluff pieces on 8 drivers, and 5 minutes of them actually racing
.....then people will know drag racers :rolleyes:

not sure if it would be Erica. Even though she's had a storied career, she is not racing in the premier class, in NHRA racing. Should Brittany F or Lea start reeling of the wins and a few more championship, one of them will probably become the face of drag racing. Most of the top list of women athletes, i've seen, doesn't even include Erica, despite Danica Patrick often being included!
I alot of 20-30 somethings probably saw the movie about Erica. Especially females.

This may sound corny..
My first ever drag race was the 82' Springs, where Shirley may have had one of her most outspoken moments, where team TR-3 Resin Glaze was using Jeb's engine in Lucielle Lee's car, which really pissed Shirley off.

Anyway, you know when I tried to have a quick conversation in the pits with her, my ingorant and (unknowing her history) words (how is a woman so successful in this game) were the LAST thing she wanted to hear, given the day she was having.
She threw down her book, gave me a stare of FU, but answered anyway. I'll NEVER forget that look..LOL.
She said "I focus on my own run, blinders on"..
That message? Today, I pass along to everyone who is new in business.
Thanks Shirley, always a fan and much respect as the most courageous and toughest racer.. ever.

Shirley has always spoken highly of Erica. But I wonder what she thought of that fiasco with Coughlin admitting to throwing the race against Erica last year in Vegas ?

I guess I'm biased, but I do not hold any current racers in the same regard as the 70'-early 90s racers.
Technology, super teams, money, shelf performance parts etc.
My years of attendence we back in the days where single fuel pumps, two speed trans, welding crap back together at 1 AM, duallies and tag trailers towed by Kalitta, Meyer and Beatle.
Different drag racing.

Shirley's time..and IMO, winning the three championships back then.. were the most respected of all, earned from sweat and will.

I guess I'm biased, but I do not hold any current racers in the same regard as the 70'-early 90s racers.
Technology, super teams, money, shelf performance parts etc.
My years of attendence we back in the days where single fuel pumps, two speed trans, welding crap back together at 1 AM, duallies and tag trailers towed by Kalitta, Meyer and Beatle.
Different drag racing.

Shirley's time..and IMO, winning the three championships back then.. were the most respected of all, earned from sweat and will.
I hear what you're saying George, but that's progress, nothing stays the same, racing included. And not just drag racing, every form of motorsports has evolved in a similar way. Having said that, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of 1 AM welding sessions happening, along with all nighters.

be a female. erica.

I'd say their answer would most likely be a member of the Street Outlaws cast, followed by a Youtuber, like Cleetus McFarland.
Names like Alex Laughlin might also hit. He's one of the few who 'gets' the importance of social media to building a profile.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back