HANS devices (1 Viewer)

Not to be morbid... But realistic!! How much for a Funeral? Between 5 and 20 grand... And emotional costs??? Because you thought it would never happen to YOU??? It only takes once... Use your head while it is still attached...
That is why I say they are priceless...

Good info. I'm learning about the jr. dragsters!
Wow, did not know they were mile-an-houring that much.
Have there been wrecks in them?
As far as I know, there have only been 1 or 2 Jr crashes at NHRA sanctioned events.

$6k??? For a JR dragster? Thats insane. I can only imagine what some people spend though. I thought they were all about 50 mph. I guess its better to be too safe then not safe enough.
For some of the better gear, $6k is pretty light. A 4-link Spitzer Jr chassis runs about $6k. Then a Snyder Blockzilla 3 Titanium would run you another $2k. Plus a trailer, spares, etc. You should check out some of the Jr stuff, it's pretty damn cool. There are real race cars that haul ass. Top NHRA sactioned ET/speed is 8.90/85 mph if I remember correctly. Those cars go a lot faster too - the outlaw races are 7.90 and I'm sure those cars go over 90 mph. That's pretty fast by any standard!

Some cool links -

http://www.gospitzer.com/ssbspitzerjunior.htm
http://www.snydermotorsports.com/blockzillaenginekit.htm

We have sold over 300 Hans Device's in the last couple of years. Most of these to super class racers.

I wear one myself, and there are other benefits as well. I can get the shoulder belts tighter, and the load from the belts is distributed by a much broader surface.

I had followed the development of the Hans Device for quite some time before I bought one and then became the Drag Raceing distributer for it. I think it is the single most important purchase you can make after a helmet.

A Hans Device starts at $865.00. There are many styles and sizes to fit your application. Kids models are also available. Please call me direct if you have any questions about a device.

Thanks, Dennis Taylor Pres.
Taylor Motorsports Products 800 320-2988

Top NHRA sactioned ET/speed is 8.90/85 mph if I remember correctly. Those cars go a lot faster too - the outlaw races are 7.90 and I'm sure those cars go over 90 mph. That's pretty fast by any standard!
Actually, both sanctioning bodies have a bracket class for 7.90 ET @ 85 mph.

Here is the breakdown on ET limits (no class can run faster than 85 MPH):

8-9 year olds - 12.90 ET
10-12 year olds - 8.90 ET
13-17 year olds - 7.90 ET

We consider ourselves budget racers. We probably have $12K in our operation including our trailer. I know folks who have upwards of $100k tied up in their junior operations.

It should be standard equipment. If you start the kids off in the right direction, it will not be a problem getting them to continue to wear as the years go on.

Right on, Dave! I don't think any youngin' would NOT want to wear it. Afterall - they want a long skinny car like the pros, they want a helmet & suit like the pros. Some even have 2-way radios and design thier own trailer & car paint - so it makes sense to get them a Hans, so they can look like "thier favorite top fuel hero". One down side I see is, especially with a younger child - they will out grow it (kind of like buying $1,000 worth of ice hockey goalie equipment for a kid). As they grow, you have to get stuff that fits them.
But, if you & your kid are serious about this - I guess it's just another piece to the puzzle you're trying to build.

WEAR THEM, just like seatbelts. I have loaded too many people into MSP helicopters bound for "Shock Trauma"! IS IT WORTH YOUR LIFE?

I too have looked at these and the question I have is why do they cost so much? I good high quality full face helmet can be purchased for $200 but a HANS Device is $900? You can't tell me it costs more to manufacture one then the other so why 4x the price?

Gregg
Anything carbon fiber costs more then double of fiberglass at the very least... That $200.00 helmet is definitely not what I would consider quality... Price a Simpson or Impact prouct and you are looking at way more then that... Now price a CF helmet and you will see the price rise... Most helmets are mass produced... Hans and R3 are probably getting there, but not to the extent of helmets... Quantity of sales will bring down the price I would think... However, I have wondered the same thing myself... And this is the only answer I can come up with... A life saving device under a grand is really PRICELESS!! I would'nt even think of running without one or the other... JMO
Want a HANS? www.taylormotorsports.com Call Dennis he has the best price... Not to mention, a very nice man...

Do you think the cost of liability insurance fits into
the pricing of any safety equipment manufactured today? ;)

We purchased a HANS device for my wife the Monday after the recent death at Houston Raceway Park. We were two cars in front of that accident, and walked out onto the track and saw the initial impact point minutes after it happened. Standing there I knew I couldn't send my wife down the track one more time without one.

I'd recommend going the $90 extra for the quick release mechanisms. It can be a little difficult for the driver to unclip the helmet from the HANS device to get out of the car. Although getting out of the car with helmet and HANS still on is not an issue.

My kids race juniors and we haven't ponied up for them yet. There was a rollover wreck at the Junior Nationals in Denver this year that ended with the car nosing into the wall. I happened to have space to haul the car back to a chassis builder in Houston to be front halved. The amount of concrete pieces that vibrated out of the front chassis tubing into my trailer on the 1000 mile trip home was quite surprising.

The HANS device does not seem to inhibit finish line driving at all. The installation instructions have a recommended amount of strap slack, which my wife has steadily had me descrease further to the point where her head turn at the top end is right where the straps run out of free play.

The price of entry to a junior car is funny. You can have a competitive package if you shop carefully, get a little lucky, and part with say $3,500. However, there are a ton of people who have more than $15k in a new car with paint. I don't think it makes them that much better though.

Gregg
Anything carbon fiber costs more then double of fiberglass at the very least... That $200.00 helmet is definitely not what I would consider quality... Price a Simpson or Impact prouct and you are looking at way more then that... Now price a CF helmet and you will see the price rise... Most helmets are mass produced... Hans and R3 are probably getting there, but not to the extent of helmets... Quantity of sales will bring down the price I would think... However, I have wondered the same thing myself... And this is the only answer I can come up with... A life saving device under a grand is really PRICELESS!! I would'nt even think of running without one or the other... JMO
Want a HANS? www.taylormotorsports.com Call Dennis he has the best price... Not to mention, a very nice man...

Simpson Full Face Helmets start at $260.00 at Jegs (sorry Dennis didn't mean to cheat you out of a sale). According to the HANS Web Site they are made from Carbon Resin not Carbon Fiber, I don't know enough to tell what difference that makes. Also in reading the information on the HANS Web Site they recommend replacing your HANS Device every five years, just like a helmet. I wonder if a version could be made from Kevlar/Fiberglass like the helmets are to get the prices down so more racers can afford them? I like most people would like to see more racers wear them, I am sure as they become more affordable more will.

Most competitors don’t understand head and neck restraint products.

They think they don’t go fast enough to use a HANS, but the impact that killed Dale Earnhardt was at 35mph. Chances are that most competitors will never have an accident where they need a HANS and chances are good they won’t ever need a helmet or fire suit either.

It’s all about insuring your life against the unexpected.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back