HANS Device Mandated for 2007 (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I read on another site that NHRA has mandated HANS devices for any car that gose over 200 MPH beginning next season. It will be spendy but I can't argue with the new rule as we probably should be wearing them. Other popular head and neck devices maybe used as well but you should check the rule book first to be sure.

Plus all Super Comp cars must run a diaper which I also agree with. Believe it or not, a couple of super comp cars on back to back runs oiled the track at Indy and it took fa good 20 minutes each to clean the track.

I read on another site that NHRA has mandated HANS devices for any car that gose over 200 MPH beginning next season. It will be spendy but I can't argue with the new rule as we probably should be wearing them. Other popular head and neck devices maybe used as well but you should check the rule book first to be sure.

Rich - Bobby has been encouraging this for a long time - it's about time NHRA listened to someone! JFR drivers use a device that is smaller and much less restrictive than the HANS. Should be interesting to see the new rules.

Rich,

The mandate is actually SFI Spec 38.1 and does not require one head and neck restraint over another brand.

SFI Specification 38.1 - SFI Approved Head and Neck Restraint Systems:

Hans Device

Leatt-Brace™

LFT Technologies R3

Hutchens Device

Shop early, USAC has also adopted SFI Spec 38.1 for Sprint Cars and Midgets... manditory in 2007!

My son Zak has used the HANS Device from the day he climbed into his Sprint Car and has NEVER found it to be restrictive in any way, this comment is usually from someone who has never worn one.

A head and neck restraint is very cheap insurance, much more effective than a foam neck donut!

I heard Dennis Taylor ordered a new rig, has hired Alan Johnson for next year, is buying a house in the 'burbs, and is sending the kids to a spendy private college now. LOL.

Opps...there goes my special discount!

Just kidding, Dennis. Honest.

Im always a little concerned when someone says the Hans Device is "restrictive". I have worn one myself for the last 4 years and restrictive it is not! I would not drive my car without one now.

There are now a few choice's for a head and neck restraint's and I encourage you to look at all of your options and decide what works best for you. I was a big supporter of the Hans Device before I became a dealer for it, and that is the one I recomend. Please call me direct if you have any questions about it.

Randy Goodwin has one on order, but after his last post, he is now at the back of the list. LOL.

Dennis Taylor 714 630-7850
Taylor Motorsports Products

hans device

as for which restraint is better well thats up to who you have talk too, as for me i have used the hutchenson, its okay except for it does creep up between your legs it get a little uncomforable but its manageable, as for the hans well it takes a little gettin use to but after a few times its like its not even there!!! BUT my biggest question is why did it NHRA so long to mandate it??? we should be all about saftey!!!! if you arent wearing one then i feel you arent concerned about saftety!!!!!!!! dont complain about the cost,because there is no cost to much to save lives!!!!!!!!! thanks

IHRA actually beat NHRA to the punch on this issue, announced the restraint requirement in their 2007 rules revisions about a week before NHRA announced theirs. I am glad both organizations agree on the value of these devices, they will save lives.

My wife started using one after a death at our track. Installed as per the instructions, it is not restrictive at all. We've tightened the tethers a bit more than the instructions say, and now when sure turns her head to look the tethers become somewhat taught right at the end of the head turn. So she does know the device is there, but it's not a hinderance. Our lesson learned was to go ahead and get the quick release devices . . . $90 option I think. While you can scramble out of the car without any concern for the HANS slowing you down, it is a pain taking the HANS clips off along as you go through a normal exiting the car routine. You just can't see to align them correctly.

I'm all for the diaper, I wish they'd mandate a non SFI (but NHRA approved) diaper for ALL drag racing. I'm beginning to think that oil downs have wasted more of my life than commuting.

Justin, we make all the diapers custom from a form I can fax you. The cost of these diapers are $400.00. They will meet the new 7.2 SFI spec. Thanks, DT.

Guys, I mentioned that "other popular devices" may likely be used as well.

Dennis, can you share with us how much they are? And do you only sell HANS? I would like to buy what I can from you.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich. The Hans Device is the only unit we sell. Prices start at $865.00, with the most popular model at $940.00. DT.

I'm all for the diaper, I wish they'd mandate a non SFI (but NHRA approved) diaper for ALL drag racing. I'm beginning to think that oil downs have wasted more of my life than commuting.
Now that right there is funny..thanks for the chuckle, Jeff. Sad but probably true.

as for which restraint is better well thats up to who you have talk too, as for me i have used the hutchenson, its okay except for it does creep up between your legs it get a little uncomforable but its manageable, as for the hans well it takes a little gettin use to but after a few times its like its not even there!!! BUT my biggest question is why did it NHRA so long to mandate it??? we should be all about saftey!!!! if you arent wearing one then i feel you arent concerned about saftety!!!!!!!! dont complain about the cost,because there is no cost to much to save lives!!!!!!!!! thanks
Welcome to the Mater, Terry.

Right now in Top Comp you can run a non-SFI diaper and they work just fine. I know had a rod go out the pan and no got on the track!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back