HANS devices (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Ok... Not like I didn't already know the value of them, but I want to put head and neck support device on my kid in the Jr car this year, as he is stepping up to 8.90.

I like the one that the folks at JFR use- looks pretty small and easy to manuver in; lightweight, and if Force puts one on himself and the kids, it sounds like the one to go with. The original one I saw the NASCAR boys run with looked safe, but a bit ungainly for a 10 year old..

Question is- who makes them, do they make them for small folks and what is the cost roughly? Are they pretty much a stock item on the shelf, or is there a wait list for availability?

Thanks in advance for the help.....

You can also go direct to the manufacturer...
LFT TECHNOLOGIES R3
www.lfttech.com
1-800-731-4404
At least for sizing and a full explanation of the product...
Competion Plus did a Tech review of Hans vs. Hutchins vs. R3 You will have to go back and archive it to like Nov.17 2005 Worth a look though... I was impressed... Goodluck

Head and neck restraints

My son uses the HANS Device in his sprint car and put it to very good use two weeks ago, here are some articles written in Drag Racing Online on the subject.

NHRA doctor credits non-mandatory restraint device with saving Ron Krisher’s life:

Saving Your Neck

Q&A - The HANS Device

No Excuses! Wear a HANS Device!

Safety, What a Concept! “Why You Should Wear A HANS Device”

Revisiting a few subjects...

Congratulations on making that extra safety consideration for your kid!

I think they should be mandatory. Basular Skull Fracture (spelling?) is what killed Dale Earnhart - where the neck basically snaps apart from the skull in a severe impact. A very wise investment for any race car!

Marty
If you want a HANS, try taylormotorsports.com Dennis will hook you up... Anything is better than NOTHING!! Price- PRICELESS
Erica
I can't get back to the page that comp plus ran on the subject and if I did I don't think I would know how it link it on here... Sorry, but if I find it again I will post it for you... K?
Try some of Darr's links though...

Last edited:
Seriously, a HANS device for a jr dragster??? Have they speed them up alot now or what? I am not being mean, I think the program is great for young people and they are the racers of tomorrow, I just dont see the HANS deal. What do the fastest ones run now? Isint it only 1/8th mile also? Please dont take this as a bash, its not, I just dont know b/c I never watch them. At HRP they run them in the morning and then the big cars at night so I never see them except for when were coming in and there leaving.

Seriously, a HANS device for a jr dragster??? Have they speed them up alot now or what?
Seriously. My daughter runs about 50 mph in the 1/8th. The fastest ones are running up to 85 mph.

Now, is it overkill? Maybe. Is it a chance I am willing to take? Not really. The $800 or so it costs to get a HANS for a junior is pretty cheap if you ask me. Heck, I am spending $4-6K for a chassis, $8k for a trailer, who knows how much on everything else.......it just makes sense to me to have the BEST safety equipment I can.

I saw a few Jr drivers wear the HANS awhile back, it makes a whole lot of sense. 85 MPH at the 1/8 is moving, and a lot of the cars like their big brothers can run under their number. It seems like a good way to keep the fun in family fun if anything goes awry.

S/F
D

Good info. I'm learning about the jr. dragsters!
Wow, did not know they were mile-an-houring that much.
Have there been wrecks in them?

$6k??? For a JR dragster? Thats insane. I can only imagine what some people spend though. I thought they were all about 50 mph. I guess its better to be too safe then not safe enough.

Seriously, a HANS device for a jr dragster???...

Absolutely.. Impact during an accident is a random event, and you can never know what will happen... Dale's impact didn't look any worse than some of the other accidents he had in the past...

These are my kids, and they have expressed wanting to do this as a career, and with that, I want them to be used to as much of the whole experience as I can- they get to sit in the cockpits of my budd's FC's and TF cars; they have to work on the car with me, learn what tools are the right ones to use for the job (as well as clean and put them away in the right places..:D ), and are responsible for making sure they have what is on their list of duties for when we head off to the track. All in all, even though we keep it fun, they are being taught now that its serious business, and safety is my first and formost concern- and they seem to understand that. If they are used to driving with the HANS now, the transition to being safe in faster cars in the future will be natural. If there is something that is proven better than a foam doughnut, I don't see any reason NOT to use it.

Thanks everyone for the info- lots of great suggestions (as expected from 'Maters!!)... We missed a big chunk of this season because of an unusually busy year for me, so we're in a rebuilding mode, and going to take advantage of getting some new gear and getting ready to hit '07 strong.

Its been awhile since I talked to somebody who knows, but I'm pretty sure you can spend some big bucks on an engine for JR. Especially the ones with billet heada and motorcycle carbs on alcohol. I stuck my head at the Western Finals at Bandimere and some of the older kids were running 80+mph at altitude in the summer:eek: at sea level who knows?

S/F
D

Even the older kids are speed and ET restricted, per the rules... By the time they get old enough to want to go really fast, they can step up to the big cars (that's our plan...).. And yeah, $6K for a killer motor and accessories is not unusual..

Even the older kids are speed and ET restricted, per the rules... By the time they get old enough to want to go really fast, they can step up to the big cars (that's our plan...).. And yeah, $6K for a killer motor and accessories is not unusual..

Some friends / customers of mine here in Oklahoma are hardcore into the Jr. scene. This is the boy's last year but the girl has few years left. I know they've got some killer stuff and the $$ figures being thrown around on this thread don't surprise me in the least.

On the HANS thing... I think if you can afford it and it makes your kids safer, then by all means, go for it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back