Graham Light to retire! (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
STRONG BENCH IN LINE TO MOVE FORWARD

SENIOR NHRA COMPETITION EXECUTIVE TO RETIRE AT END OF 2018;
STRONG BENCH IN LINE TO MOVE FORWARD

GLENDORA, Calif. (Feb. 9, 2018) – After 34 years of dedicated service, Graham Light, NHRA’s senior vice president of racing operations, announced today that he will retire at the end of 2018. Light will continue to serve on NHRA’s Board of Directors and as a consultant to the sport.

Stepping up to fill Light’s role will be current NHRA vice president of racing administration Josh Peterson, whose role will expand; and former NHRA director of racing operations Ned Walliser, who will be named vice president of competition. Walliser will rejoin NHRA in May 2018 to work and train with Light. Current vice president of technical operations Glen Gray will round out the team.

Light joined NHRA in 1984 and progressed upwards in the organization, taking over all racing operations in 1993. His institutional knowledge and passion for drag racing are a mainstay in NHRA and the drag racing community. The Edmonton, Alberta, Canada native started out drag racing in Competition Eliminator before owning and operating a racetrack of his own.

“We can’t thank Graham enough for all he has done for the sport. We are fortunate that he has put in place a great team to support our racing operations when he begins his well-deserved retirement. With Josh Peterson heading up racing administration, Ned Walliser focusing on competition, and Glen Gray heading up technical services, we will still have the best team in all of motorsports,” said NHRA CEO Peter Clifford.

NHRA president Glen Cromwell continued, “With Graham able to personally coach Ned in his new role, and the rest of the team already up to speed, we’re confident that in 2019 we’ll be offering racing and team support that meets or exceeds the standards everyone has come to expect. We’re glad that Graham will still be available to consult with us and serve on our board while we have the strong team of Josh Peterson, Ned Walliser and Glen Gray to take over the reins. I look forward to working closely with all of them.”

Peterson, a mechanical engineer, joined NHRA in 2007 from General Motors, where he was involved in the company’s drag racing programs and other initiatives. Peterson has made great strides in racing administration and racer support, as well as representing NHRA with ACCUS/FIA.

Walliser began his career in racing event operations, including working in a broad operations capacity for Pace Entertainment (now Feld Entertainment Motorsports), before joining NHRA. Walliser was with NHRA from 1994-2000, first as Pacific division director and then as director of racing operations. Walliser returns to NHRA from his role as chief operating officer for MainGate, Inc. and serving on the board of SFI Foundation, Inc.

Gray, an electronic engineer, joined NHRA from Delphi Corp., where he was involved in the company’s motorsports activities and motorsports safety initiatives, among other things.

About NHRA
Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. NHRA presents 24 national events featuring the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, and E3 Spark Plugs NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series presented by J&A Service. NHRA provides competition opportunities for drivers of all levels in the NHRA Summit Racing Series and the NHRA Drags: Street Legal Style presented by AAA. NHRA also offers NHRA Jr. Street program for teens and the Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League for youth ages 5 to 17. In addition, NHRA owns and operates four racing facilities: Atlanta Dragway in Georgia; Gainesville Raceway in Florida; Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis; and Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in Southern California. For more information, log on to NHRA.com, or visit the official NHRA pages on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter.

-30-​

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NHRA Media Center Online

Be social with NHRA

National Hot Rod Association | 2035 Financial Way , Glendora, CA 91741
Try it free today

21b.jpg

I’ve only had one personal interaction with Mr. Light-it was at a LODRS points race and I thought the ladder sheet that was posted for the number of cars was incorrect. I made my case and he was very fair.

Nothing bad too say about Graham, he treated me well when I was with NHRA and even after I left in 1996 Hes always been good to me.

Damn, we have to suffer through another season with him? Never met him but never cared for him and his numerous screw-ups over the years.

I always feel a pang of regret when one of the sheriff's, who actually held a competition license and did overnighters in a pickup truck hauling a racecar, retires. One step closer to monster truck racing. Is Phil Burgess the last member of the the Financial Way crowd to hold a competition license?

Thank god finally rid of him. A lot of my dues went to his pocket. Absolutely good riddance.

and I know his last action in office at the end of the season will be.....

add 20lbs to the Harleys of course!

Now who are you guys going to thrash and bash every time you're having a bad day? You're gonna have to find yourselves another whipping boy!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back