Exclusive Video! Graham Light, Don And Tony Schumacher Following Shootout DQ (1 Viewer)

woody

Nitro Member
Tony Schumacher was disqualified from the Technicoat Shootout Saturday for bypassing the scales following his semifinal win.

1320 TV has exclusive video coverage of Don and Tony Schumacher's angry reactions, as well as an explanation of the situation by NHRA VP of Race Operations Graham Light.

Click here to see and hear it all:

1320 TV

I don't know if the pro's have different rules but I can tell you this...in TAD win a round and pass the scales bye and you will be loading your digger headed for home...

jOkA!:cool:

Finally a driver speaking his true feelings about the countdown crap! :p

Do you think it was pay back for the finals last year? :rolleyes:
Kind of reminded me of the Force first of worse fiasco doesn't it?

Last edited:
wow... nice video there... looks like he got screwed over pretty bad, but you never know... I don't know why Melanie's team would just make up something like that, perhaps they just didn't know what they saw? I completely agree with him if Cory was let go... You can't bend the rules when you want to, either use it all the time or not at all...

CJ Curtsinger

Kev'

In TA/FC if you win and pass the scales, you lose. Just wanted you to know they don't just pick on you.

We go by the scales all the time. If we improve in qualifying we pull in unless they specifically say not to. If we win a round we pull in unless they specifically say not to. That's the way it has been for dozens of years.

The two people working the scales usually have no idea until you tell them you improved and are too busy to know if you won, lost, are taking your car for a ride on the return road. Bottom line, you are responsible and must ASK before proceeding.

Fuel check is the same way. They will sit there with their little siphon bulb in hand waiting for you to pull up. If you drive by they might think you are lost or sight seeing. They aren't going to toss a spike strip in front of your car to tell you to stop. You should know better.

Schumacher found out the ramifications are too costly to ASSUME that unless they say something to you at the scales you don't have to pull in. If the traffic signal they sometimes use is not turned on, here in California the law says to treat an inoperative traffic light as a red light and you must stop.

Bottom line is everyone knows better...now.

I believe Randy nailed it! The devil is in the details as they say and we all know what happens when you assume.

At least the Schumachers got to vent! :eek:

best thing i heard tony say was near the end when he said"protest to who graham...he just says you know the rules...well i guess i dont know the rules"...even made the comment about nhra picking there own champions with the countdown....that was great!..right or wrong that was the funniest interview I have EVER seen from Tony...

it seems the shumachers for got the free pass they got last year when they were told to SHUT IT OFF and dis-obeyed the starter . thus giving them the championsip basicly . they werent screaming about that were they? they only like when they win. bottom line you win your weigh they know the rules.:mad:

I know that 99.9999999999999999999999999% of you here absolutely completely hate hate hate HATE the Countdown :D

But what the hell did the semi's of the Technicoat shootout have to do with the Countdown or even the race? (the race on sunday....not the shootout).

If that were the case then why not go back and find a way to disallow the 4.48 they ran friday..........or DQ him from the event or take away points?

I cannot see the tie between the two. The shootout and the 2008 championship.

I'll agree that he was P.O'd and in the same circumstance I probably would have been too if it were not intentional.

After last years fiasco who knows for sure though.

Yes I am implying..............and yes........I am probably wrong.

But why would Mel's crew lie?

Casts some reasonable doubt.

But this ain't a court of law.

He passed the scales.

He should have not passed them.

Hindsight is 20/20

REX

Last edited:
i just thought it was funny the way he talked about the countdown and the champions coming from this year....

What a crappy deal, NHRA won't even play by their owns rules, they really want to be just like nascar and pick their own winner, (Daytona 500) Martin won, but gave it to Harvick.

All I'm saying is if I won a round and was going to race for $100k the next round, I'd go find someone to weigh my car just to make sure. I agree NHRA's shaky at best when being consistent with rule changes, but bottom line, Shoe didnt weigh his car. His bad.

WOW . ITs funny Tony stopepd to be weighed but didn't get weighed .And then Melanie trys to snitch to top end she seen them taking weight OFF the car ???? GO back to your weak king of the track show with that crap .And how about in the end you still had a car who did NOT hit the scales in the final ???????? I can't wait till Tony serves them their asses today !!!

I am by no means an experienced racer. But based on what little I do know, I submit the following:

1. The NHRA Rule Book does state that each category has a minimum weight, but to the best of my knowledge does NOT specify when and how often a car SHALL be weighed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I agree with Randy - when racing for $100,000.00 dollars, you should hit the scales no matter what - as a matter of caution against this type of deal.

3. That said, if Tony's car is typically 40 lbs. over the minimum, then it's safe to assume they were relatively close to that 'standard' on the semi-final run of the shootout too.

4. Which leads me to the statement from Tony about Cory Mac getting a warning in the past. Given #'s 1 & 3 above, I would think that should've held true here too. Furthermore, if it is proven (video or otherwise), then as far as I'm concerned Graham Light owes everyone (racers, fans, sponsors, etc.) an apology. As in all forms of sports, motor driven or otherwise, I ABSOLUTELY HATE when anyone other than the team(s) determines the outcome - and that's exactly what Graham did here.

5. I don't know if it was Melanie herself, or one or more of her crew members who made the accusation, but making such an statement ("we saw them removing weight") after getting spanked, seems, at best, a little odd. If they were TAKING WEIGHT OFF, that would defeat the purpose of running light, wouldn't it?!

In closing, Congrats to 'Hot' Rod Fuller - I'm thankful he wasn't involved (directly) in the controversy. He ran a helluva race and given he ran the better part of the season on David Powers' dime, it's good to see the money go to that team...

One more thought: Wheras I enjoyed the footage, those conversations between Don Schumacher, Tony Schumacher & Graham Light should've been private and none of us should've been privvy to them. As a carrier air traffic controller I've spoken to my fair share of ticked off aviators & IT'S ALWAYS IN PRIVATE - regardless of who's wrong. Praise in public and punish in private. What was said between them, should've stayed between them... particularly given the volatility of the situation - though I thought they all handled themselves professionally.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back