Good question at Comp Plus (1 Viewer)

Re: Ajs6 Cylinder Head Approved

ALAN JOHNSON'S CYLINDER HEAD APPROVED FEBRUARY 1, 2008, ACCORDING TO NHRA .COM. :confused:

WOW, TODAYS FEBRUARY 21, 2008.:eek:

They probably put February 1 so they didn't have to hear all the crap that would hit the fan about the Army team if the put the 21st.

Guess we will have to wait and see what the new design does for them. AJ is one of the best ever tuners, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Then why even make a change, there has to be a difference or there wouldn't be money invested.
I think because of the following:
Registered member said:
The AJS6 head does feature several notable changes, including a valve cover flange that has been raised .470-inch, changes in exhaust bolt pattern and flange angle, as well as a modification to the exhaust guide “shoe” that is used to deflect heat from the cylinder head. The valve cover flange modification will eliminate the need for a silicone seal, dramatically reducing the chances of an oil leak.

I would like to be the first to say, that because of the speculation in article posted in Comp Plus I led myself to the believe that Alan Johnson slipped one by NHRA and fellow teams.. After reading that Alan had actually followed the proper procedure to get prior approval on the new design before he used it. It's apparent his whole intention of changing design on this head and not raising the current price was to help the engine cool better with less chance of fire as they return to the 90% limit. I sincerely apologize for leaving negative post towards Alan Johnson and all Maters of this forum.

Thanks for the link Brent.

Jon A spells it out again, and all I can think is okay, makes sense to me.

d'kid

What a lot of you guys should realise is that web sites like Competition Plus survive on traffic. The more that people go there, the more hits that are registered adds up to more exposure for the advertisers and thus more potential revenue for the web site.
Therefore it helps is you put controversial stories up on the site as a bunch of keyboard "tuners" and internet "officials" like some of you guys get all wound up and either go to the site repeatedly looking for updates or send more traffic there with links in posts here. Bobby is a master at stirring the pot in this manner with posts that touch on the surface of an issue and I would guess that it really does help his traffic count.
On the issues that have been discussed here you should note that it was reported that after Alan Johnson gave Rick Stewart the OK sign Rick shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to send the cars on their way. If Rick had felt that there was a real issue why did he not enforce the shut off of the car. It would appear that the NHRA brass felt the same thing as they fined the team for disobeying the starter's command, not for endangering anyone. Basically a misdemeanor, not a felony.
On the subject of the new head design, as noted by others the notification of the official signoff of the heads is a moot point. They comply with the rules in the areas that are spelled out in the rule book regarding the performance aspects (valve angle) and it seems to me that AJ simply addressed some issues that have been a problem for some time.
Is the JFR in house built blower exactly the same as an SSI or did it have to go through the approval process too? Likewise the Boss 500 engine. The rule requiring approval of "any redesign, reconfiguration,and/or significant modifications to existing components" has been in force since 6/11/2003 and I don't remember a bunch of press releases from Glendora detailing every approval since then.
The rules also call for NHRA review and approval of injector hats and I have not seen any official announcements proclaiming the legality of the Medlen unit or Composite Specialties' new stuff. Someone must have signed off on these parts or they would not be out there on cars in competition.
Some of you guys need to take a chill pill and look beyond the surface of some of the so called issues.

Roo

Keith, our traffic is generated because we stay after reporting the news and update multiple times of the day. If skimming the surface of the issue is only reporting on the facts that we have and can prove, that's what we do and will continue to do just like any other news outlet should. We do the controversial stories and we also do the mundane stories, but we do them in an accurate basis to the best of our ability. Until we have an official statement from a party involved, it remains in the rumor section. You should know of all people because you have worked with us.

As you will see, when we finalized our investigation the full result of our findings were reported in the article in today's news.

I would like to be the first to say, that because of the speculation in article posted in Comp Plus I led myself to the believe that Alan Johnson slipped one by NHRA and fellow teams.. After reading that Alan had actually followed the proper procedure to get prior approval on the new design before he used it. It's apparent his whole intention of changing design on this head and not raising the current price was to help the engine cool better with less chance of fire as they return to the 90% limit. I sincerely apologize for leaving negative post towards Alan Johnson and all Maters of this forum.

Nice post Jesse and very classy! I wonder if the others who had negative things to say about the team will have the same class that you have and do the same.

Paul..........It is one of the most fashionable things to do on this site...bash DSR and all involved. It's gone on for years....you know that.

Late.............Mitch

On the issues that have been discussed here you should note that it was reported that after Alan Johnson gave Rick Stewart the OK sign Rick shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to send the cars on their way. If Rick had felt that there was a real issue why did he not enforce the shut off of the car. It would appear that the NHRA brass felt the same thing as they fined the team for disobeying the starter's command, not for endangering anyone. Basically a misdemeanor, not a felony. Roo

C'mon Keith, you really believe that? Rick doesn't have to do anything but signal the driver to shut down. I am not aware of any different tiers for disobeying a rule. Where are these listed?

Read Jon Ahers article. He does a much better job of explaining why DSR was only given a fine.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back