Good question at Comp Plus (1 Viewer)

Please show me a time where the NHRA has penalized a Pro team points for not following a starters direction. The facts are he did not get penalized points by the NHRA and he won the title.

You got a rule book? Did he violate the rules? NHRA could learn something from this:

"The Flowmaster American Drag Racing League announced today that driver Rickie Smith has been suspended for the remainder of the 2007 season for “conduct detrimental to the ADRL.”

Key words here are 'conduct detrimental' !

You got a rule book? Did he violate the rules? NHRA could learn something from this:

"The Flowmaster American Drag Racing League announced today that driver Rickie Smith has been suspended for the remainder of the 2007 season for “conduct detrimental to the ADRL.”

Key words here are 'conduct detrimental' !

The bottom line is this, if Rick thought the situation was life or death he would have stepped in front of the car and stopped it from staging. The facts are he didn't, Tony staged and smoked the tires. The NHRA fined the team and they thought the punishment was enough. This is the NHRA's decision not yours or Buzzz's or Wayne's so your view really doesn't matter because you do not call the shots in the NHRA's sandbox. As for the heads, I am still waiting for the rules change announcement before I start to say they had illegal heads on the car in Pomona and that is if they even actually did have the heads on the car.

The bottom line is this, if Rick thought the situation was life or death he would have stepped in front of the car and stopped it from staging. The facts are he didn't, Tony staged and smoked the tires. The NHRA fined the team and they thought the punishment was enough. This is the NHRA's decision not yours or Buzzz's or Wayne's so your view really doesn't matter because you do not call the shots in the NHRA's sandbox. As for the heads, I am still waiting for the rules change announcement before I start to say they had illegal heads on the car in Pomona and that is if they even actually did have the heads on the car.

You are right, the NHRA is running the show. It's like I said before though, if it were me or you we would have been bounced in a heartbeat. I don't like anyone that puts themselves above the rules and have that 'holier than thou' attitude.

Rick is also not required to stand in front of that car. All he has to do is issue the command.

EDIT
: He didn't smoke the tires. When they admitted that they expected him to smoke em, that compounded the flagrant dis-regard for the rules. They actually admitted that they thought he would have trouble.

Last edited:
As for the heads, I am still waiting for the rules change announcement before I start to say they had illegal heads on the car in Pomona and that is if they even actually did have the heads on the car.

Sorry Paul but according to you, your opinion doesn't matter because you don't call the shots in the NHRA's sandbox.
:(

I smell major controversy after 2/19/2008.:eek:

I don't think so Jesse. Schumacher's can get away with almost anything and there is no way the NHRA is going to allow this to turn into something controversial. As Paul said in an earlier post, they run the show.

I never grow tired of being right!

Well Bobby, if you guys were reacting to factual information and not a rumor from Competition Plus I would not have to bring some reasoning to this thread. This is no different when you felt the need to bash DSR and the Richie Stevens situation, you were talking without all of the facts. God forbid if someone was to say something about Team Force or Evan Knoll based on a rumor you would be here saying you will not comment until you see something official from the teams. Why don't you take a dose of your own medicine on rumors about DSR? Since you are always right should we now call you "Perfect" Bobby?

Does this mean I'm NOT allowed to voice my opinion?
:confused:

Wayne, I did not say you were not allowed to voice your opinion. I said unless you are an official of the NHRA, your opinion doesn't mean a damn thing to the penalty that his handed down for infractions. I can't believe some people still can't get over this since it has been almost 1 and 1/2 since it occurred and nothing will be done to change the outcome.

Sorry Paul but according to you, your opinion doesn't matter because you don't call the shots in the NHRA's sandbox.
:(

Yeah, if I actually said the NHRA should do something to the team if there were indeed running something illegal, which I didn't say in my post. You need to go back and reread my post. I am still waiting for some factual information to support these claims.

Wayne, I did not say you were not allowed to voice your opinion. I said unless you are an official of the NHRA, your opinion doesn't mean a damn thing to the penalty that his handed down for infractions. I can't believe some people still can't get over this since it has been almost 1 and 1/2 since it occurred and nothing will be done to change the outcome.

Paul, I agree with most of what you say with exception concerning the fact some of us can't get over it.

I think I explained why. I'll never get over it. I lump DSR in with the rest of the cheaters that are out there. I also don't think the NHRA did their job. These are my opinions.

I was wondering who the moderator was that Bobby was talking about. :D

Paul, I agree with most of what you say with exception concerning the fact some of us can't get over it.

I think I explained why. I'll never get over it. I lump DSR in with the rest of the cheaters that are out there. I also don't think the NHRA did their job. These are my opinions.

I was wondering who the moderator was that Bobby was talking about. :D

It would be me since Bobby and I don't see things the same way:D. I am a little to direct/abrasive for Bobby's liking. Also, you said Tony didn't smoke the tires on that run, I seem to recall Tony smoking the tires at the hit and having a 15+ second ET. Am I recalling a different run?

It would be me since Bobby and I don't see things the same way:D. I am a little to direct/abrasive for Bobby's liking. Also, you said Tony didn't smoke the tires on that run, I seem to recall Tony smoking the tires at the hit and having a 15+ second ET. Am I recalling a different run?

I got to get to the office but I'll do some research tonight and let you know. It would not be the first time I was wrong! :D Have a good day.

Does JFR sell the heads they manfacture to other teams?How about this Ford engine. Will they offer it to other teams?
Well why can't Alan J do the same
If all the required specs meet the rules then no big deal
Can't understand why some people on this sight get their panties in a bunch over what certain teams do but look the other way when one of their favorite teams is involved in a conterversy.
AJ wanted to build a different engine but NHRA said no.
understandable IF AJ's engine didn't meet certain specs
Don't recall anyone condeming NHRA for JFR "FORD" engine.
Rules are made to be followed not broken.
Sure the rules are stretched sometimes but the rules are still followed.
Conserning Tony's refusal to shut off at 2006 qualifying run.
Does the rules state the driver follow the starters instructions or his crew chief?
Not wanting to get into an argument but what "IF" the starter just shuts a car off just because he feels like it? Money changes some people.Look at the mess over at the NBA.
This could happen but I don't think it did.
The starter is not always right. Just ask Ron Capps and Ace. They were told to shut it down but a leak never existed?
As far as the heads being used in Pomona- big deal. Prove they are illegal.

a few questions to ponder.

Are the new heads only to be used when available to other teams? If so, define available; does AJPE need to have 100 pairs in stock ready to ship? Also, define what is new, and what is mearly revised. And if you took a set of heads that are already being used and tweaked them, are they legal? If yes, can AJ do the same with his own design? If he does, will this mean it is a "new head"

Bottom line, there is a signifianct grey area that is needing to be clearly defined.

Go along with this scenario. Say AJ came up with a new head, where the design is within spec, but different enough to be considered new. Say they used them only in testing till they performed as desired. Once that is established, when can they begin to use them? These things are made to order, like other heads. Being available to other teams doesn't mean you just go to the Kmart of fuel parts and yank a few sets off the shelf. Should the rule be set that the new heads cannot be used untill a certain number have been shipped to other teams? Is that what would be suitable to fill the rule of being available?

What about this new motor from JFR. Wasn't Zippy running it at the winters? If he was, does this mean it's readily available to other teams?

How many know that JFR is already making much of their own parts. Last time I checked, they don't have a parts department for other teams to visit and purchase the latest in JFR technology.

Take this down to Pro Stock,, or do they go with another set of rules?

So there you go, take these thoughts and questions and flame away.

My opinion.......

The Army car should have been bounced from the facility! There was enough oil on the ground- they had to use a large towel to clean the puddle up. They even draped the towel on the ground so the slick could run over it, trying to clean the slick. If you think about it, if the left tire had bit- the car would have been in the guardrail.

Just my .02.........

Also, you said Tony didn't smoke the tires on that run, I seem to recall Tony smoking the tires at the hit and having a 15+ second ET. Am I recalling a different run?

I didn't find any data for the run Paul but I found an interesting article written by Jon Asher. Here's the link and excerpt from the article.

"Had any racer other than Tony Schumacher, with any sponsor other than the U.S. Army, done what he did, which was nothing short of blatantly disobeying a direct order from the starter, the “highest” official on the starting line, he would have been immediately and summarily disqualified from further competition. At the very least said racer would have been sent home for the balance of the weekend’s activities, and would have likely faced additional penalties, both financial and points-wise, after that."

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - UP FRONT with Jon Asher

Please show me a time where the NHRA has penalized a Pro team points for not following a starters direction. The facts are he did not get penalized points by the NHRA and he won the title.

Paul, I also found this in the Jon Asher article.

"As but one example of a blatant and dangerous rules violation, some years ago Pro Stock racer Joe Lepone was caught using an unapproved clutch when the unit exploded in the pits at Columbus when he was warming up the engine. Lepone was immediately suspended from further competition that weekend and was later “excused” from two additional national events and fined $5,000. By being sent home early from Columbus Lepone also lost his last opportunity to retain his qualified position in the Pro Stock Showdown, so in effect he was disqualified from four, not three races."

Here's one for you guys...........Instead of it happening to the golden child, what if it had been Whit that refused to shut off?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back