Scelzi Sez (and sez it to the point) (1 Viewer)

I knew there was a reason I loved Gary Scelzi! It's about time these drivers, and owners, start publicly voicing their opinions on all the crap NHRA has been pushing down their throats the past few years. Much of these rules and regulations affect their personal safety and it's time they had a bigger say in how that safety works. Go Gary!!!!!

Great article, it's his butt taking the ride, he should be able to protect it.................however, Scelzi hasn't won seven Championships......................:cool:

I appreciate a person who speaks their mind. Especially when it comes to their own well-being.

Great article, it's his butt taking the ride, he should be able to protect it.................however, Scelzi hasn't won seven Championships......................:cool:

TA/FC
TAD
AA/FC
and how many in TF?

Yep, I understand where Wildthing is coming from...

Lance you're right. Currently we are switching over to even larger servers to speed up the mag more and cannot fix that and the Jim O photo thing. Sorry guys for the mistake.

Right or wrong [I happen to agree] I really respect the man for stepping up and stating the facts as he knows them.
jim

I'm curious how critical this Heat-treating issue was before John's crash at Dallas???

I never heard a thing about it until "THE MAN" had his accident and damm near died! That does not mean that the POWERS THAT BE, were not discussing it. Sometimes it takes a "TRAGIDY" or NEAR TRAGIC event to occur in order for change to occur. That's just the way it is!!!:mad:

yes, gotta' admire him for sayin' it like he sees it.

gotta' think a lot of these drivers are thinking back to crashes
they've had over the last decade or so (like gary's @ BIR) and wondering......

too many smart people in this sport to not be able to
design the 'chassis/car of tomorrow' (to paraphrase the nascar term)

Gary has always shot from the hip....folks that's real....he has always been real never plastic....

Some think/thought I have backed Gary because of the "O"....nope not true...I back Gary because he is a Black and white type of guy....No grey area in his world.....

Scelzi ROCKS......always has....always will....

jOkA!:cool:

I've always liked him but he has now jumped to the top of my favorites list. Maybe some others should speak their minds.

The drivers and team owners have more say then they think and they should excercise it now!
I think Gary was smart for putting it out in a public forum the NHRA has been pulling this crap for too long! :mad:

I would rather see a drive in bandages and casts then a coffin!
Preferably I would prefer to never see another accident ever happen but if it did as I previously stated!

A driver FINALLY speaks up! It's frightening to hear Gary state that he can't wait for Pomona to get out of a chassis that may still be dangerous.
He is ready to pay for his own Hadman car, but there is a HUGE problem.
As I have posted, it appears that NHRA has their head in the sand, hoping to get through the final two races without another FC disaster.
If a driver had been this seriously injured in a NASCAR race, you can bet your ass that something would have already been done to improve driver safety.
One more time - NHRA has no one on their technical staff who is capable of addressing this issue and apparently doesn't give a $$$t about driver safety.
NHRA needs to do something NOW so teams can start on new cars for 2008, IF the association has a clue. :mad:

As I have posted, it appears that NHRA has their head in the sand, hoping to get through the final two races without another FC disaster.
If a driver had been this seriously injured in a NASCAR race, you can bet your ass that something would have already been done to improve driver safety.
One more time - NHRA has no one on their technical staff who is capable of addressing this issue and apparently doesn't give a $$$t about driver safety.
NHRA needs to do something NOW so teams can start on new cars for 2008, IF the association has a clue. :mad:

I think NHRA cares about driver safety. They have just been getting bad advice and relying on the wrong people, people with a conflict of interest.

All this goes back to the fact that upper management used to be made up of former racers. Now it's degreed bean counters. Those bean counters don't have engineering degrees and didn't spend every dime they had to race a car at one point in their lives.

I think the right decisions will be made. There is just too much evidence and too many voices (like Scelzi's) that will make a difference.

RG

If there's any saving grace in this whole fiasco it's that the NHRA is behind the NASCAR organization in one area:

If a driver speaks out against the organization over there the fines are huge.

Scelzi will be heard loud and clear by Glendora on this one!

I think NHRA cares about driver safety. They have just been getting bad advice and relying on the wrong people, people with a conflict of interest.

All this goes back to the fact that upper management used to be made up of former racers. Now it's degreed bean counters. Those bean counters don't have engineering degrees and didn't spend every dime they had to race a car at one point in their lives.

I think the right decisions will be made. There is just too much evidence and too many voices (like Scelzi's) that will make a difference.

Randy - you have certainly been the leader in keeping maters informed and I'm sure we all appreciate that. That being said, I'm sure someone at NHRA does care about driver safety. However, it appears that those degreed bean counters are doing . . . nothing. I hope you are correct that right decisions will be made. Let's hope they do not come too late.

I have refrained from commenting on this subject because I do not really know the difference between different manufacturers of chassis or construction methods.

But I will say this: these issues seem to be isolated to team Force for whatever reason (they make more power, more downforce or whatever). I have not heard of any other team having these issues. John's accident was terrible and hopefully can be prevented in the future. BUT Murf Mckinney has built chassis for a very long time and to be thrown under the bus the way he has and staring down the barrell of losing most of his business, my heart just goes out to the guy.

The flip side of that coin is that I am pleased to see Gary step up and speak his mind without fear of the repercussions. I do think that more of the pros and owners should be able to do this. I think MANY of Gary's suggestions (moving the scoreboards, better lighting, etc) are easily rectified and should be taken into account. I also thought it was interesting that he said he gets no traction with the PRO organization.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back