Good question at Comp Plus (1 Viewer)

Paul, I also found this in the Jon Asher article.

"As but one example of a blatant and dangerous rules violation, some years ago Pro Stock racer Joe Lepone was caught using an unapproved clutch when the unit exploded in the pits at Columbus when he was warming up the engine. Lepone was immediately suspended from further competition that weekend and was later “excused” from two additional national events and fined $5,000. By being sent home early from Columbus Lepone also lost his last opportunity to retain his qualified position in the Pro Stock Showdown, so in effect he was disqualified from four, not three races."

Bob, this is not an example of someone being tossed out for not following a starter's direction. I will have no problem with agreeing with you if the NHRA has set precedent in the past for Pro drivers not following a starter's direction and I am sure this is not the first time in the modern history of drag racing this occurred. If the NHRA did not throw out Pro drivers out in the past for not following the starters commands then Tony should have not been tossed out of the event? Now, if the NHRA has thrown out drivers in the past for doing the same thing then Tony should have been shown the door. Like I have said before, right or wrong what's done is done. Lets talk about this year.

I didn't find any data for the run Paul but I found an interesting article written by Jon Asher. Here's the link and excerpt from the article.

"Had any racer other than Tony Schumacher, with any sponsor other than the U.S. Army, done what he did, which was nothing short of blatantly disobeying a direct order from the starter, the “highest” official on the starting line, he would have been immediately and summarily disqualified from further competition. At the very least said racer would have been sent home for the balance of the weekend’s activities, and would have likely faced additional penalties, both financial and points-wise, after that."

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - UP FRONT with Jon Asher

I'm not trying to fuel the fire, but I was in the stands when this occured and I can tell you without question that Tony blew the hides off the Army digger as soon as he stepped on the loud pedal... Doug Kalitta, on the other hand, streaked down the 1320 and took over the #1 spot in a recently rebuilt backup car...

. . . Since you are always right should we now call you "Perfect" Bobby?

Not we --Just you Paul. You've called me many other things and are always quick to announce your take on how I react or would react to something based upon your infinite wisdom so I'll just suggest you follow your aforementioned suggestion from here on out. Best of all, you won't need to capitalize perfect for me.

NHRA is in CYA mode. There is NO other explanation than that to publicly announce the approval of a part 19 days after it was "supposedly" approved.

TISK...TISK...TISK to NHRA!!! You shame Wally's legacy and integrity with BS like this.

19 freakin' days!!!! Now isn't that special!!!! Money talks; BS walks!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

NHRA is in CYA mode. There is NO other explanation than that to publicly announce the approval of a part 19 days after it was "supposedly" approved.

TISK...TISK...TISK to NHRA!!! You shame Wally's legacy and integrity with BS like this.
The new cylinder head is a replacement for the AJS5 head but does not supersede the previous version since if offers no inherent performance advantages. After a through review and comparison of both cylinder heads, it was determined that the intake and exhaust port configurations and the combustion chamber design of both the AJS5 and the AJS6 is identical and therefore the AJS6 head does not offer a performance advantage over its predecessor.
It's such a performance advantage that there's no performance advantage! :rolleyes:

Bob, this is not an example of someone being tossed out for not following a starter's direction. I will have no problem with agreeing with you if the NHRA has set precedent in the past for Pro drivers not following a starter's direction and I am sure this is not the first time in the modern history of drag racing this occurred. If the NHRA did not throw out Pro drivers out in the past for not following the starters commands then Tony should have not been tossed out of the event? Now, if the NHRA has thrown out drivers in the past for doing the same thing then Tony should have been shown the door. Like I have said before, right or wrong what's done is done. Lets talk about this year.

OK, I'll try and refrain but once in awhile it's gonna slip back out. It just pizzes me off every time I'm reminded of it. :mad:

I'm not trying to fuel the fire, but I was in the stands when this occured and I can tell you without question that Tony blew the hides off the Army digger as soon as he stepped on the loud pedal... Doug Kalitta, on the other hand, streaked down the 1320 and took over the #1 spot in a recently rebuilt backup car...

Thanks Gordon. Information does not equal stirring the pot. My memory isn't what it used to be. ;)

Is it November 2006 again?

Oh, it's just this week's "bash DSR" thread.

Robert, nice. Calling Alan Johnson, Ace McCulloch, and everyone at DSR cheaters.
I am sure you, and all those of your ilk* in this thread have a name for Force on his past angelic & perfect conduct as well.
Care to fill us in?

*LOL I have seen this phrase a few times, loved it and always wanted to use it somewhere but never had the chance till now. LOL It is just a good natured ribbing, OK? Please laugh, because it was meant in jest and I was laughing as I typed it.

I got to get to the office but I'll do some research tonight and let you know. It would not be the first time I was wrong! :D Have a good day.
POMONA 2 - Top Fuel Qualifying Notes, Final Session
Left Lane: Doug Kalitta Runs 4.452/328.22, Now #1; Best prior run: 4.502/328.86, Was #5
Right Lane: Tony Schumacher Runs 16.139/72.90, Now #2; Best prior run: 4.458/328.46, Was #1

Well, this will certainly be on the TV highlights tonight! Schumacher's dragster backs up from the burn out and the NHRA guys start pointing to a likely leak. Rick Stewart gives them the sign to shut it off, but no one pays attention. The crew does a little poking around and Allen Johnson gives Stewart the big OK sign. Stewart shrugs his shoulder and gives the two cars the green. All chances for a record run are out the window, when the black car strikes the tires at the hit. To add insult to injury, Kalitta proceeds to thunder on down the track into the new number one position. This change will ensure that the two cars can't meet until the finals. When the starting line camera focused on Connie Kalitta, he was all smiles and grins...

Where is that dead horse picture???? Come on let it go...... It is now history and there is nothing anybody can do to change it. Right or wrong it is over...

As for being surprised when the NHRA makes another brilliant decision, I have been over that for a long time. Now I just shake my head and feel sad when I think how good, not big, it could have been with people who really care running the show instead of bean counters and non-racers.

jim

Is it November 2006 again?

Oh, it's just this week's "bash DSR" thread.

Robert, nice. Calling Alan Johnson, Ace McCulloch, and everyone at DSR cheaters.
I am sure you, and all those of your ilk* in this thread have a name for Force on his past angelic & perfect conduct as well.
Care to fill us in?

C'mon Paul. I said Tony!

So, in the end after all the bashing of DSR over spilt milk of the past, it seems that all the hand wringing and whining over a post on another web site about AJ's new cylinder heads being approved shows that nobody really knows squat about squat. Some people should not attempt to participate in a battle of wits when they are unarmed.

You conspiracy theorists are killing me. Here’s how it went. AJ designs a new head and submits it for approval. NHRA checks it out and approves it. Then someone starts making noise about this new head so NHRA issues a release that states the head has already been approved. End of story.

Mike Ashley’s team is building their own blowers, did any of you catch the announcement that they are accepted for use? They build and submit the part. When it gets approved they run it. No where is it written than you have to take out an ad proclaiming that your new part is legal. If you know it’s good and NHRA knows its good that’s all that matters.

Alan

dh.jpg

Ajs6 Cylinder Head Approved

ALAN JOHNSON'S CYLINDER HEAD APPROVED FEB. :confused:

1sthttp://www.nhra.com/apcm/apcmviewercache_sp.asp?a=26991&z=8

WOW, THIS FEB. 21 ST:eek:

Jesse, check out Alan's response to this subject. There is a lot of egg on some people's face since the team followed the proper procedures.

Ajs6 Cylinder Head Approved

ALAN JOHNSON'S CYLINDER HEAD APPROVED FEBRUARY 1, 2008, ACCORDING TO NHRA .COM. :confused:

WOW, TODAYS FEBRUARY 21, 2008.:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back