Gm Says Nascar's The One (1 Viewer)

FABMAN

Nitro Member
From quote at Jayski's, GM says if they were to leave auto racing that NASCAR would be the last one standing.:eek:

and then I would never buy a gm car again

If it did happen, right after that it would be comical to see 2 or 3 Dodge or Ford cars sweep NHRA titles in several different classes and also in NASCAR & Busch.

Maybe GM would be much healthier if they cut off a few of their brands and stopped making the exact same vehicle under 3 different brand names...

CJ Curtsinger

Maybe GM would be much healthier if they cut off a few of their brands and stopped making the exact same vehicle under 3 different brand names...

CJ Curtsinger

That would mean they would have to be creative and DESIGN something. I have been thinking the same thing for YEARS however with Toyota, Honda and Nissan starting to do the same thing the outlook doesnt look good. :eek:

From quote at Jayski's, GM says if they were to leave auto racing that NASCAR would be the last one standing.:eek:

Are you kidding??

If the money dried up then Nascar would be the first thing to fall. That venue is run off $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. There isn't a REAL racer owner in the bunch. If someone wasn't funding there opperation they wouldn't be racing. NHRA on the other hand would sputter a little but it would still be around. How much of the NHRA big show is run out of pocket or self sponsored?

Are you kidding??

If the money dried up then Nascar would be the first thing to fall. That venue is run off $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. There isn't a REAL racer owner in the bunch. If someone wasn't funding there opperation they wouldn't be racing. NHRA on the other hand would sputter a little but it would still be around. How much of the NHRA big show is run out of pocket or self sponsored?

Same with the pro teams in NHRA, ask Force,DP,Shoeman if their sponsors backed out if they would keep racing I don't think so. The sportsmans would keep racing cause they're using their own money know.

Don't forget that GM supplies all the trucks and cars for NHRA, plus they sponsor a few races. Their presence would certainly be missed. The only car company healthy enough right now to take GM's place would probably be Toyota. Just replace all the GM and Pontiac banners at a national event with Toyota banners and see how that would go over. Something to think about.

Pat

My concern is Mopar's investment in NHRA. Now that Chrysler is a privately held company they HAVE to balance the books very soon. When a company is privately owned they're burning their own money. They won't do that very long.

If the new owners can turn it around it'll probably be fine. That said, my guess is that it would be very difficult to prove that spending millions of dollars sponsoring drag racing is a profitable investment in advertising...but, I'm darn glad they do.

Are you kidding??

Sooo . .. Roger Penske is not a "REAL Racer Owner" ?
This should hold up as dumbest post of the year - :rolleyes:

I hate NASCAR but their ratings are so high that I understand why. But tell me other than Pro Stock, what is GM doing for NHRA now? A few bodies, a couple of SUVs, the official car of NHRA, the safety trucks? IF GM left NHRA few would notice as their support is minimal now..... If I wrong tell me so!

Yeah, and those owners named Petty, Ganassi, Childress and Evernham use to do a little racin' too.

"The Captain" Roger Penske is also part responsible for why it cost so damn much race these days.

I hate NASCAR but their ratings are so high that I understand why. But tell me other than Pro Stock, what is GM doing for NHRA now? A few bodies, a couple of SUVs, the official car of NHRA, the safety trucks? IF GM left NHRA few would notice as their support is minimal now..... If I wrong tell me so!

Yeah, I guess you are right, they don't do much at all! Let's see....ALL the GM P/S bodies, ALL the GM F/C bodies, ALL the wind tunnel and design time for both bodies, a "few" SUVs and official's cars. Have you priced out a carbon P/S body or a carbon F/C body, lately? How many can you afford to supply to your favorite team? You might also want to count those "few" SUVs and cars some time. You might also notice the number of support vehicles they provide for many of the teams. Oh, and don't forget the NHRA events that they sponsor. Now.....if all of that went away tomorrow, it wouldn't be missed, right? Maybe not by you, but it will be to those that receive the benefit. If the teams have to pay for it themselves, they have a much smaller race budget. Smaller race budget, fewer races. Do the math!!!

Additionally, who do you think spent all the money on the various DRCE iterations over the years? That's the technology that eventually finds it's way to the sportsman ranks. Again, GM supplies blocks and heads to the various Pro teams either free or at a reduced cost, and that ain't cheap. GM also did some drag racing based commercials just a few years ago. GM also funded the research and pushed for NHRA to make the HANS safety devices mandatory in the Pro classes.

I don't care if it's GM, Ford or Mopar, if any one of them left NHRA, it would hurt. It may not hurt you, but it will hurt the racer, the fan and the sport!! Face it, if the manufacturers leave the sport because of economics, ALL of motorsports in this country will be worse off.

Pat

Last edited:

I'm with ya there....lol Ganassi? Childress? Roush? These guys aren't racers...? Hmmm....Thats news to me! I seem to recall times in the last few years when ALL of them have run unsponored cars...!

Yeah, I guess you are right, they don't do much at all! Let's see....ALL the GM P/S bodies, ALL the GM F/C bodies, ALL the wind tunnel and design time for both bodies, a "few" SUVs and official's cars. Have you priced out a carbon P/S body or a carbon F/C body, lately? How many can you afford to supply to your favorite team? You might also want to count those "few" SUVs and cars some time. You might also notice the number of support vehicles they provide for many of the teams. Oh, and don't forget the NHRA events that they sponsor. Now.....if all of that went away tomorrow, it wouldn't be missed, right? Maybe not by you, but it will be to those that receive the benefit. If the teams have to pay for it themselves, they have a much smaller race budget. Smaller race budget, fewer races. Do the math!!!

Additionally, who do you think spent all the money on the various DRCE iterations over the years? That's the technology that eventually finds it's way to the sportsman ranks. Again, GM supplies blocks and heads to the various Pro teams either free or at a reduced cost, and that ain't cheap. GM also did some drag racing based commercials just a few years ago. GM also funded the research and pushed for NHRA to make the HANS safety devices mandatory in the Pro classes.

I don't care if it's GM, Ford or Mopar, if any one of them left NHRA, it would hurt. It may not hurt you, but it will hurt the racer, the fan and the sport!! Face it, if the manufacturers leave the sport because of economics, ALL of motorsports in this country will be worse off.

Pat

Chump change compared to what they spend in NASCAR.

Yup! NHRA fan base, exposure, TV contract, promotion. Chump change compared to NASCAR. You only pay, for only what you receive. Be damn glad they even care enough to pay what they do!!!

If you think NASCAR is going away, you are sadly mistaken. Kenny Wallace managed to make it through 141 laps, finished last, and won $256,000.
I have friends at Roush and Gibbs . . . they have associate sponsors waiting in line to drop more than it would cost for a fuel team to run the entire year for a little exposure on a top 10 NASCAR team.
I hope we will have full fields for fuel teams this year, but when new chassis are required, it could get ugly - JMHO

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back