Gators Mater Meeting (1 Viewer)

I never found out why they don't sell Alcohol at the track, anybody know?

Maybe it's because when a good amount of people have too much to drink they act like an idiot? Maybe Auto Plus raceway and NHRA want to avoid the possibility of that happening? Just a guess.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because when a good amount of people have too much to drink they act like an idiot? Maybe Auto Plus raceway and NHRA want to avoid the possibility of that happening? Just a guess.

Doubt that, selling alcohol equals making more money. My guess is state or local laws prohibit where and how you sell booze at the track. NHRA sells alcohol at Indy so I doubt the are worried about people drinking too much.

Doubt that, selling alcohol equals making more money. My guess is state or local laws prohibit where and how you sell booze at the track. NHRA sells alcohol at Indy so I doubt the are worried about people drinking too much.

You obviously haven't met many people from Florida. :p

I never found out why they don't sell Alcohol at the track, anybody know?

I heard it was because of Gainesville being a collage town. (go figure) I heard they don't sell alcohol at the football games either. But, given the size of the crowds, it is probably a good idea not to sell alcohol. Like Sam said, you haven't met many people from Florida lol. When I went to Charlotte, they were selling mixed drinks, so I know they do sell alcohol at some events. But, the crowds at Charlotte wasn't anywhere near the numbers at Gainesville. And since I don't drink, it does not bother me one bit. :D

I heard it was because of Gainesville being a collage town. (go figure) I heard they don't sell alcohol at the football games either. But, given the size of the crowds, it is probably a good idea not to sell alcohol. Like Sam said, you haven't met many people from Florida lol. When I went to Charlotte, they were selling mixed drinks, so I know they do sell alcohol at some events. But, the crowds at Charlotte wasn't anywhere near the numbers at Gainesville. And since I don't drink, it does not bother me one bit. :D

I have heard they did sell Booze at one time back when....just never heard why they quit?

I have heard they did sell Booze at one time back when....just never heard why they quit?

You can thank the annual University of Florida versus University of Georgia football game. For years the game was known as "The Big Cocktail Party". It got so out of hand, that the SEC stopped selling alcohol at all of their events. So when I make my annual pilgrimmage to Rupp Arena to see the best basketball team in the world ... I can't get a beer because of the dammed rednecks from Georgia and Florida.

I am sure there is a local ordinance preventing the sale of beer ... NO WAY NHRA is leaving that much money on the table ... beers are $8 at Indy and $9 at Pomona.

Last edited:
I am sure there is a local ordinance preventing the sale of beer ... NO WAY NHRA is leaving that much money on the table ... beers are $8 at Indy and $9 at Pomona.

This year at Pomona, although I don't know if it was new for this year since I hadn't been there since the 2009 rainfest (I know, me and rain? go figure), they also offered a 24 oz. beer for $11. The 16 oz. was $9.

You can thank the annual University of Florida versus University of Georgia football game. For years the game was known as "The Big Cocktail Party". It got so out of hand, that the SEC stopped selling alcohol at all of their events. So when I make my annual pilgrimmage to Rupp Arena to see the best basketball team in the world ... I can't get a beer because of the dammed rednecks from Georgia and Florida.

I don't know if it's becoming more common across many college campuses but here at the University of Minnesota, just like the SEC schools, no alcohol can be sold at any of the sporting events. I don't know if it's a Big Ten mandate.

I guess i'm one of those "damned rednecks". Although i have never had one sip of alcohol (by choice)at the Gators in my 22 yrs of going.

And fl/Ga is held in Jacksonville,not sure how that has any bearing on Gainesville. Other then a team from Gainesville plays in the game.

People are going to drink at the Gators regardless if they want. Whether it's the parking lot,or sneaking in a flask or water bottle of vodka.

And fl/Ga is held in Jacksonville,not sure how that has any bearing on Gainesville. Other then a team from Gainesville plays in the game.

The game is held at neutral sites now ... Jacksonville and the Georgia Dome ... let's think for a second why that could possibly be. Why would the "Big Cocktail Party" have to go to neutral sites? Hmmmmm ...

I agree with you about people drinking where it is prohibited, they will find a way to do it if they want to. Whether it is drag races, SEC sporting events or national law.

The game is held at neutral sites now ... Jacksonville and the Georgia Dome ... let's think for a second why that could possibly be. Why would the "Big Cocktail Party" have to go to neutral sites? Hmmmmm ...

I agree with you about people drinking where it is prohibited, they will find a way to do it if they want to. Whether it is drag races, SEC sporting events or national law.

I live in Jacksonville. It's been in Jacksonville since 94-95 when the new Jags stadium was being built,it was on neutral sites for those two years. Been in Jax since then.;)

Regardless,i see what you're saying. I just would'nt blame the "redneck" fl/ga game for the ban of alcohol at Gainesville Raceway.

can you imagine what U of F vs Fla. State games are like?

what an easy way to increase gross profit - stupid.
sell the beer @ $7/glass and your first glass includes a $10 cup fee.
that'll keep the drunkenness to a minimum, yet provide adult beverage
to those willing to pay for it.

I just would'nt blame the "redneck" fl/ga game for the ban of alcohol at Gainesville Raceway.

Fair enough ... but I can still blame fl/ga for no beer at Rupp Arena. ;) :D

florida.gif

Last edited:
I don't know if it's becoming more common across many college campuses but here at the University of Minnesota, just like the SEC schools, no alcohol can be sold at any of the sporting events. I don't know if it's a Big Ten mandate.

I am not sure about all of the Big Ten but I can speak for Illinois. No alcohol at Assembly Hall where basketball is played. Alcohol is only served in so called "VIP" seats at Memorial Stadium where football is played. I----L-----L!
Go Illini! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back