From NumbersUSA (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Unions: Fewer Hispanic immigrants hired since Swift & Co. raids
The Associated Press : December 19 , 2006

"U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials arrested nearly 1,300 people at six Swift & Co. plants in last week's sweep..." Fewer Hispanic immigrants are being hired to replace former meatpacking workers arrested during last week's raid of Swift & Co. plants in Grand Island and Greeley, Colorado, according to local union presidents.

Local 22 union president Dan Hoppes said Tuesday that between 40 and 50 new workers have been hired at the Grand Island plant since the raids.

"The lion's share of those people were Caucasian," Hoppes said.

Before the raids, roughly 90 percent of the Greeley plant workers were Hispanic, said Local 7 union president Ernie Duran.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials arrested nearly 1,300 people at six Swift & Co. plants in last week's sweep. Some experts say the raids could lead to a shortage of meatpackers, higher wages and higher prices for the beef in homes and restaurants.

In Greeley, where Swift is headquartered, Duran said about 75 new workers have been hired — including about 30 Caucasians, 15 Somalian immigrants and seven Hispanic immigrants, with the rest U.S.-born Hispanics.

Several union officials said Swift has offered better wages, benefits and bonuses since before the raids.

"They're trying to staff up their plants and they've been raising their wages the past few weeks," said United Food and Commercial Workers spokeswoman Jill Cashen. "To me, it's an example that when you make the job more attractive you get a different kind of applicant."

Last week's raids may have been a factor in accelerating those efforts to attract a larger work force.

A message left by The Associated Press for Swift & Co. was not immediately returned.

At the Greeley plant, Duran said the hiring office was filled every day, with many immigrants still applying for the jobs."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will state again. I am NOT against Immigration. My mother was born in Holland. I am agains ILLEGAL immigration, amnesty in any shape or form, and a Guest worker program only if those here illegally, return to their country and apply for it.

There are consequences for everyone who breaks the law. People wanting to live in America should be no exception.

JA

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back