frank hawleys drag racing school (1 Viewer)

afx421

Nitro Member
hi folks, was wondering how many of you have went to frank hawleys drag racing school? what class did you all take? yesterday was my 40th b-day- as i call it the big uh-oh not 4-0 . anyway, my wife gave me an envelope, i opened it and i was a letter from the school saying i was enrolled in the gas course for my 40th b-day, wow what a gift huh. we leave sunday for gainseville ( i hope the hotel has espn2). so id appreiciate any tips or expieriences that you got out of the school. cant wait to get in that tube chassis firebird. thnaks jeff.

WOW......memories !! I went to the School in Pomona in April of 1998 !
Frank taught the class and the experience was great ! I did the dragster class
and was first out on the track. When you get in and strapped in and fire the engine it's another world ! The sound was loud bouncing off of the empty grandstands and tower,talk about adreniline RUSH !! It's a thrill I can't compare to anything !
They have you go 200 ft. and back off,then 600 ft IF ....IF you did the 200ft. sucessfully. Then I think 1,000 ft and finally the 1,320. My best was a 8.82 @ 155.80....but because I screwed up on two passes I didn't get the license.
I could have made two more passes and got te license but it was $150 each extra pass so I didn't go for it.
Get plenty of rest the night before and be ALERT when you get in the car !!!
I didn't and it showed on my first launch......scratch that run !!
When you let go of the trans brake button......WOW...things get out of focus FAST !!! I'd love to do it again....and again.....and again !!!
HAVE FUN...................

I attended Hawley's in May 1986 (TAFC), and again Dec of the same year for TAD.

I had made hundreds of runs on a ET motorcycle running 11's at around 120 prior to that but never had made a run in a car till that first time in a alky funny:eek:

It was a REAL eye opener and once you do it the bug has bit you.:)

Congratulations, you are going to have the time of your life.

REX

I went first in February of 2004 for the dragster course. It is something I think about and still talk about to this day, because it really was life-altering in the way that I felt after that that I could do just about anything. I went back and did some runs this past January again.
You're right, John: nothing quite feels like the first time you release that trans brake :eek: !!!
You are gonna have a great time!
DSC01096.jpg

Hawley's

Just Got Back Two Weeks Ago From The School Took My Son To Get His License, I've Had One For Twenty Some Years So I Took The Classroom Course. We Were At The Pomona Facility. It Was A Blast For Me And The Kid. We Had Jack Beckman As The Instructor And You Are Never To Old To Learn. Real Fun!
Kim Bright 7390 S/c

I went many years ago and took the altered course which I believe is no longer offered. Frank taught and what a great experience. I had been racing for about 20 years when I went and took the course and I still learned a lot.:cool:

The best advice I can offer is take it serious and PAY ATTENTION. There will be so much to absorb.

jim

PS: If they offer a video of you taking the course TAKE IT. I still get mine out from time to time just to watch it, remember and smile.:D

I can tell you that working with and learning from Frank will be an unmatchable experience. You'll learn how to drive but you'll also learn how to manage your thought process and perform to the best of your ability. Good Luck!

Expect to win,

Mike Ashley

Ditto that, Mike. I went in 1991 for the TAFC course (proud to say that I completed the course and did my entire licensing at Frank's) then took my Top Dragster car to a remote class at Texas Motorplex in 1994 for three days of one-on-one with Frank. Not only did I learn how to better drive a car in a mechanical sense, Frank showed me how to train my brain to drive more consistently and become a winner. I still use everything he taught me.

My wife, Aspen, took the Super Comp course in 1998 and will tell you the same great things about the school. It should be known that she took the class long before we met...so if any of you gals are looking to snag a cool racer dude for a husband driving a race car is a great way to do it!!! :D

It's funny that Aspen and I both got chewed out for improper burnout techniques at Hawley's. She had some issues with reaching the throttle and couldn't go WOT on her first burnout which prompted a "discussion" on the starting line. I, on the other hand, had no such trouble and did WAAAAAYYY too much burnout in the funny car. After some "encouragement" I followed the rules for the rest of the week.

We can give kudos to Frank and his crew 'til we are blue in the face. None better!

Don't waste a dime with Roy Hill, though. Not worth the cost. That's all I have to say about that.

Frank is the absolute best. I have taken the TAFC course and the instruction was very good especially from the mental aspect. I highly recommend this school if you are serious about pursuing a racing career as well as a once in a life time experience. They also have classes related to other functions of racing operations (i.e. clutch technician) in addition to the driving courses. Live fast drive hard!

Brian O.

Last edited:
I just brought my son(who aged out of jr's) in August to Hawley's in Gainesville to get his Super Comp License. I sat in on all the sessions but did not drive, Frank has a great course developed. My son was calm as a cumcumber and did fantastic, I on the other hand was a basket case pacing around.LOL At the end of the course Frank told all the drivers that qualified for their license(my son being one) that although some of them did really well, don't go out thinking you are the next John Force. He said the license you just qualified for is basically your learners permit, now get out there and get some passes under your belt!!!! My son had already bought a roller dragster chassis(that's sitting in my Garage) but we hadn't done anything to it before going to Hawley's. I wanted to make sure that he got some passes in a car to see if he would like it. To say the least the pressure is on now to get his ride finished. LOL I would recommend Frank's class to anyone interested in learning how to drive these cars!!! Here are a couple of pictures of my son at Hawley's!

Julesincar2.jpg

Julesrun.jpg

Julescockpit.jpg

We took all of our employes to Pomona for the Super Comp dragster class. Fast Jack was our instructor.

Jay

I took the super comp course back in Feb 2000 at Pomona! It was one of the greatest things I have ever done. My uncle and I decided to go take the course together and had a BLAST doing so!!! Fast Jack was our instructor during the course and he and the staff were all "top notch".
If I would give any advice, it would be...dont rush yourself in the car; think things thru, and to find a point downtrack and stay focused on it during your run. So many people in our class were all over the track trying to look "just out ahead" instead of focusing near the sand traps.
Funny thing about my uncle and I was that we were the only 2 who made the required runs in the dragster class, half of the gas course made there runs required. We of course hung around until everybody made there required runs and made 2 extra passes a piece!!!:D

I'd say that anyone who has an interest in drag racing and has day dreamed of driving should go to the school !!! It's an experience you won't soon forget !!
Just get plenty of rest the night before ! I had allergy problems the night before and had trouble sleeping and it showed the next day ! Frank Hawley probably still has nightmares about me !!!!!!!!! :->
Shucks.....after the first of the year I might go again.....

Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting and OLD thread, but...

My Dad and I just went through the Gas course at the Hawley school in pomona and got licensed, and we hung around for the Grad Race as well. Fast Jack and Thomas Bayer were our instructors. To say the experience was extremely rewarding behind the wheel and in the classroom would be a HUGE understatement...much of what is taught is very useful in many other areas of life as well. Jack is a lot of fun to be around, and is clearly very good at what he does...not to mention he's like a walking drag racing encyclopedia in the technical sense AND the trivia sense! Tom, Bob, and Gary are all great guys as well, and they clearly pour their heart and soul into what they're doing.

I'll definitely go back and sit through the classroom instruction segment again a few times. We had a GREAT experience at the Hawley school in Pomona, and like just about everyone else in this thread, I'd very highly recommend Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School to anyone with an interest in getting started in the sport and learning how to drag race the "right" way, or improving their skill set!

A great big THANKS from us to Fast Jack and the staff there at Pomona. We'll be back soon! :D

WOW awesome video! great job!

Thanks!!

I put that together before I had my newer....better....FASTER...cable link from the camera to the computer. The video that I loaded in could be much better quality....but.....

Glad you enjoyed it!

My experience @ Frank Hawley's school is right up there as one of my favorite things ever. It was fantastic all the way around....well OK...except Mother Nature raining us out the first time we went down (both days!). :p

:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back