My Visit to Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School (1 Viewer)

Bubba

Nitro Member
Hi, folks;

Recently, I was in Tucson, Arizona, attending Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School. Driving a dragster was something I had wanted to do for a long time and I wasn't going to pass up this chance!

The drag racing school was more fun than I could have ever imagined.

It started surreal as Frank Hawley himself greeted us with a handshake as we approached the classroom. Two-time NHRA Funny Car World Champion! The classroom portion was very informative; I've followed drag racing for 45 years and I learned a few new things.

The class (there were 13 of us) then went outside to get an intro to starting line procedures, right from square one, the burnout to staging the car. Also, how we should handle the first run (to the eighth-mile) and the shutdown area.

Next, suit up! We were given our firesuit, helmet, headsock and gloves. I wish I had a pic of me in that setup.

The cockpit of the dragster was explained next and, once we were in the car, were given a "blindfold" test to see it we could reach for the controls instinctively. The steering wheel and foot pedals were adjustable.

Getting the dragster fired up for the first time and rolling into the water box was a moment I'll never forget. Seeing the long dragster body with the chrome spoke wheels in front was something I had seen numerous times in video but, this time, it was ME doing the driving.

The burnout was great fun: foot to the floor, spin, smoke the tires. No problem getting the car stopped before the starting line. I'd stop the car a couple feet behind the pre-stage line, check that the shifter was in low, pull down the helmet visor and creep into the starting line beams. Wait for the flash of the three-amber lights and GO!

On my first pass, I wasn't prepared for how hard the car left the line. The 60 foot time was in the 1.53 second range. My first pass to the eighth-mile netted a 6.737 second @ 100.71 mph run. Even with coasting the second half of the track, I still recorded a 11.913 @ 77.21 mph; much quicker than my 16.02 @ 87 mph previous best.

Frank was happy with how I performed so I was allowed two full quarter-mile runs. The numbers of those: 10.573 @ 126.20 and 10.557 @ 126.83.

All in all, a fantastic day, one I will never forget. A life defining moment for me. Frank was pleased with my performance; he said I was deliberate and it was obvious I had done this before. Just not that quick and fast, Frank!

Next step, going back to the school to get a NHRA Class 4 license which would permit me to drive dragsters capable of elapsed times of 7.50 seconds to 9.99.

23345850230_f68619accf_c.jpg

23641549925_edb28a283b_z.jpg

Congrats! I went thru Frank Hawleys in 2000 for the Super Comp course and have gone back in years past for graduate races! Reading your post brings back MANY great memories! I was fortunate enough to do my class at Pomona with Jack Beckman teaching the course and Frank Hawley coming in several times to speak and observe!

Congratulations, I describe the class as better than the best roller coaster you've ever ridden. I heard it was a good day(s), hopefully you ran into Matt Deyoung down there and talked photography a minute or two.

Congrats on going thru the school!
I went to Frank's school way back in 1985,first year it was open. Got my alcohol funny car license there and still use things Frank taught me on every run I make. Best move I ever made. Frank even got me my first FC ride. Besides that its a blast just to drive a race car at his school in a safe,controlled environment while being taught by one of the best ever.

Last edited:
After Vegas 2 this year i did Doug Foley's Pure Racing Experience. Sounds like it was very similar to what you did. I did a 330 ft run, 660 ft run and then two quarter mile runs. Speed was the full runs was 128+. It was a blast. I've never been in anything other than a normal street car before. The acceleration was amazing to me. My wife and I are both going to do it again after Vegas 2 in 2016. It was also a blast racing on the same track the pros were on two days earlier!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I hope the thrill of driving came through in my writing.

I sent my story via email to my coworkers and got this response from one of them. I don't recall John Force, or anyone else for that matter, offering such a ride. Is he telling the truth?
"A few years ago I got to ride with John Force in his 2 seated funny car. We ran a 6 sec run in ¼ mile. Quite the rush."

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I hope the thrill of driving came through in my writing.

I sent my story via email to my coworkers and got this response from one of them. I don't recall John Force, or anyone else for that matter, offering such a ride. Is he telling the truth?
"A few years ago I got to ride with John Force in his 2 seated funny car. We ran a 6 sec run in ¼ mile. Quite the rush."
Not calling your co-worker a liar, but nobody does something like that without plenty of photos and/or video. My reply would be "thats great , I would love to see your mementos from such a cool experience" . Let us know their response .....

I was lucky enough to attend Franks school the Monday after the Gators in 2009. I also did the SC class earning my NHRA SC license that I never got to use :( read economy downturn! Still great memories! It took to the third sprint, 100 or 200 feet that you could start to focus on the wider view! Came back the next day and did three great 1/4 mile runs!

I don't remember a 2 seater flopper, certainly not on nitro.

Did Force perhaps take someone in one of Hawleys's dragsters?

Email convo with coworker:

Me: Do you have any mementos or pics from this?

Co: Unfortunately no. It was a boys weekend. No one thought to take pictures, may have been some alcohol involved.

Me: There must have been.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back