frank hawleys drag racing school (1 Viewer)

... and we hung around for the Grad Race as well. Fast Jack and Thomas Bayer were our instructors. ...
Most of you know that Jack and Tom are two of my best friends...

And yet they just laugh when I ask why they won't let me come run the Grad races!?!? LOL

Back to the topic...

For me, I got far more out of the class room than I did driving the cars. The portion of the course covering the psychological and physiological sides of driving the car is world class!!

Have fun, Jeff!!

I just brought my son(who aged out of jr's) in August to Hawley's in Gainesville to get his Super Comp License. I sat in on all the sessions but did not drive, Frank has a great course developed. My son was calm as a cumcumber and did fantastic, I on the other hand was a basket case pacing around.LOL At the end of the course Frank told all the drivers that qualified for their license(my son being one) that although some of them did really well, don't go out thinking you are the next John Force. He said the license you just qualified for is basically your learners permit, now get out there and get some passes under your belt!!!! My son had already bought a roller dragster chassis(that's sitting in my Garage) but we hadn't done anything to it before going to Hawley's. I wanted to make sure that he got some passes in a car to see if he would like it. To say the least the pressure is on now to get his ride finished. LOL I would recommend Frank's class to anyone interested in learning how to drive these cars!!! Here are a couple of pictures of my son at Hawley's!

Gary, what's a "cumcumber"? :D

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy! I want to run a Grad Race, too!!!! If they won't let StanMan in, I have a snowball's chance in....well, you know. Maybe they could have a "seasoned" graduates event with Jack, Tom, Stan, me, Aspen, Mike, and who ever else we could think of. Hold it at Vegas (just another excuse to go to Sin City) just for kicks. Maybe?

Funny this thread was brought back from the abyss today. I was telling a customer about my experiences there early this week. I think she's going to book a class soon.

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy! I want to run a Grad Race, too!!!! If they won't let StanMan in, I have a snowball's chance in....well, you know. Maybe they could have a "seasoned" graduates event with Jack, Tom, Stan, me, Aspen, Mike, and who ever else we could think of. Hold it at Vegas (just another excuse to go to Sin City) just for kicks. Maybe?
Wes,

Gee I wonder why they won't let guys like you and me run!?!? I only won one and runner-upped at the two I ever got to run in. LMAO ;):D

That was in 1998.

When I complain that it's not fair that I'm excluded from running the Grad races Jack and Tom always tell me, "okay, you can come run the grad race. But we get to put the dial-in on the car and set your delay box." Then we all have a good laugh.:D

You need to come out for the Bracket Nationals over Thanksgiving... it's almost the same thing. LOL

my experience at franks was the best! it was life changing, not to sound corny, i have to go back and sit in on a class and take more passes. everyone should do it. this is an old thread but im glad it came back. everyone should go if they have the chance, the classroom lessons are almost as cool as the driving :) its amazing what these pros do!

I attended the Super Gas course at Hawley's back in November and got my license. It was awesome. After hanging around Pro Mods all my life, I always thought 9 second cars were slow and boring. Then I drove one. I'm not afraid to admit that I was not ready for it the first time I let go of that transbrake! It's a feeling I will probably never forget.

The driving was great, and the classroom lectures were equally valuable. My dad sat in on the classes and we both really came away with a lot of knowledge and things to work on. I can't recommend the school enough.

Check out this video of a few of my runs!

Last edited:

Funny this thread was brought back from the abyss today. I was telling a customer about my experiences there early this week. I think she's going to book a class soon.

Count me in that one!!!

My Frank Hawley Drag Racing School experience started the Tuesday after the Winternationals in 2003. Jack had won in Super Comp. I was there for the race, and to watch my instructor WIN in one of the toughest classes to win. Well, I headed to my folks house in Oceanside, and PATIENTLY waited for Tuesday to come. On my drive up Monday Evening it started to rain...and did not stop until I got on the plane to head home on Thursday!:mad: We did spend a lot of time in the classroom talking about all the procedures and the Mental part of the sport(Like Greg my favorite part). I went back to the class Memorial Day weekend to complete my (6) Runs.

I did my 200' run...(.504 lite...1.20 60' time)
600'......(.503 Lite....1.19 60')
1000'.....(.531 lite.(I had a sandwich on that pass)...1.21 60')
then Three full runs...(.499....507.....511 lites.... 8.70's @152!)

The best part of the class...part 2....was when Jack and Tom gave me my Competiton license! Also, having my Dad there video taping those runs, and seeing his kid fullfill his dream of being a Licensed driver in the NHRA was very special!

When I was in Vegas for the Race in October, I hooked up with Gary Stallone from the Pomona class. He was talking with a few guys who were a bit interested in the class, and I talked with them for a few minutes, and they signed up! (Still waiting for that Royalty check Gary!;)) I've sent 3 of my friends there, and they came back very CONSISTANT, and much better drag racers.

Oh, and I think a "MATER" GRAD RACE WOULD KICK ASS!!! I WANT MIKE ASHLEY IN ROUND 1!!!!:D

Most of you know that Jack and Tom are two of my best friends...

And yet they just laugh when I ask why they won't let me come run the Grad races!?!? LOL

Back to the topic...

For me, I got far more out of the class room than I did driving the cars. The portion of the course covering the psychological and physiological sides of driving the car is world class!!

Have fun, Jeff!!

Ha ha! Greg, give us rookies a chance, man! Tom and Jack are GREAT people... a heck of a lot of fun to be around, and obviously very knowledgeable as well. Jack hooked us up with some great chassis guys we probably wouldn't have otherwise had access to, and Tom gave us some great tips for the super gas ride we're trying to update for competition.

And you're right Greg...the portion of the course on visualization and the study into how the mind works are AWESOME!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back