Four Wide (1 Viewer)

just watched the Q-show.... just seemed to be a real lack of excitement or build up for the runs... less runs equal less suspence (sp)... IMO..

Just a guess, but could be because it's been Rainin' like a Mamawitch today and no runs much before 3PM eastern... same storms that arrived up here a couple of hundred north east about an hour ago...

d'kid

Gave up during fafter 30 minutes and let the kids put a movie in. Thought it was an ok idea when they first brought it up, heck I even drove from Michigan to see the exhibition passes the first year. Great to feel and hear but no clue whats going on in person. TV does it even less justice. You either watch the cars from the satelite view or see them in chopped up segments. At least the tree issue seems to be better than last year.

I can live with it if they only keep it at one race.

Paul F. and Karl are both right. Very low gen. adm. side. Heck, if I lived close I would have stayed home too, and gone tomarrow.

The out of town fan that pre buys reserved, were there in good number.

We were under tornado warnings till 1PM. The storm got there, dumped the rain, and was gone. But the high, very high winds stayed all day.
Runs started at 3PM, but they did run both PRO Q's. I thought they may cut one, but no curfew here.

Other than the wind, conditions were great, you could tell by all the BO's in S/G.

YES the new blue stage lights worked fine. I sat 3/4 up the bleachers, at 300ft, and could tell both PRE staged and STAGED of all four lanes.

Having just got back home from losing in 2nd round. I can tell you the new Staging lights are no problem and kinda cool. Although the White is a little bright.

As for the four wide racing, I watched it and thought its fun to watch "ONCE" but it gets old quickly. And I wouldn't want to race it.

Its hard to tell who was first at the finish. They need better scoreboards if they are going to keep doing this. The Scoreboards are designed for two lanes. NO MPH at all in Four wide.

It's hard to watch four cars it four seconds.

It does take longer to run each grouping of four cars.

In four wide, One large LED screen at the track is not enough.

I think four lanes would be better served if the ran two cars in lane 1&2 and prepared two cars in 3&4 so as soon as possible after 1&2 ran 3&4 would go and Vice-versa. It would speed up the show there is way to much down time.

I agree it should be a non-points race only.

Mr. Farr, just keep watching the scoreboards, after you've had time to see the ET's....it changes to all 4 lanes MPH.

As far as what lane wins....they changed the boards, forget he old win lights near the top.
At the bottom now there is numbers 1 2 3 4 each in acircle that flash the winning lane.

Really hard to watch. Thankfully I recorded on a DVR and could freeze the run times to have time to read all four ET/Speeds since in real time they are only displayed for a few seconds.

I also find that during the run my attention goes to the leader of the pack and I loose track of all the others. The long camera shots are far enough back one cannot see the cars well enough to see who is who. After a couple of runs it's easy to get mixed up and I found myself just waiting for the run to finish so I can see the numbers along with the names.

Like watching NASCAR, eyes on the leader and unless someone crashes nobody looking at the other cars.

I know the drivers hate 4-wide and were ready to boycott this race but NHRA talked to all of them and promised no other race track would go to 4-wide if they just do this one once per year.

Judging from the fans in the stands I see a lot of empty seats so in person appears to be not as popular as the Z-Max folks would like.

Bottom line, I just don't like four-wide. I will watch only because cause I am a fan of drag racing.

I find it alot harder to watch on TV . I'm sure in person the sound and fury of the fuel cars is impressive, but I'd think it'd be hard to watch there too. I don't like the elimination set up where the first two cars to finish advance. It screws up the whole ladder. It's an interesting exhibition, but not a valid concept for competition.

I just don't see any sense in 4 wide racing. There is just too much happening in 4 seconds for anyone that likes to see what the cars tires and chassis are doing during a run.
Even if they ran 4 wide but you were racing the car in the other lane its still too busy for me.
I give it a F

Sorry to go off on tangents again, but I think this 4 wide controversy leads to questions about other aspects of this sport we love.

Vaughn, I hear you loud and clear! It use to be so cool to go to an NHRA national event. It use to be I wouldn't dream of missing Seattle as a fan or a competitor. But this season and last season I have had races scheduled the same weekend. What would I rather do watch the big show or race in a small market like Medford? Race that's what!

Last edited:
Watching it on ESPN3 right now, have to say I wish they offered the coverage live (like ESPN3) with all the sportsman (S/C,S/G,Comp and all) on a pay per view channel like the NFL Sunday ticket or NHL center Ice package, I would waist a whole Sat and Sun watching the coverage....they would have to tie into the PA system for the sportsman guys that don't get the TV announcers. I have my puter hooked to my TV but on a 64inch HD set the quality is not real good.

Onto 4 wide, don't mind it, it's like road courses in Nascar, it's different and don't mind it for a race or two but glad thats it. It would be IDEAL for the little problem they are having with tire chunking and/or live TV. You could prep one set of lanes for the 1/4 mile cars that need the track sprayed the whole track (TAD/TAFC, PS) then spray to 1000' for the fuel cars so they don't chunk tires when they come off the throttle. Also with live TV you oil a set of lanes down you move over and keep the show going...although you would have some "lane choice" troubles and tune up anger by crew cheifs...but heck, thats part of the sport.

I just don't see any sense in 4 wide racing. There is just too much happening in 4 seconds for anyone that likes to see what the cars tires and chassis are doing during a run.
Even if they ran 4 wide but you were racing the car in the other lane its still too busy for me.
I give it a F

What he said!

How about this concept: 4 wide nitro goes 1320 feet...

We know there's more than enough track- how about it Bruton? You want your race to be special... Make it so.

And I'll bet you five dollars to a dog turd that everyone on these drag racing forums who emphatically says they refuse to turn on the television and watch the Charlotte race - watches it anyway. Kind of like riding a MoPed, riding a fat girl or guy, or riding in a Pontiac Aztek. It ain't THAT bad, and no one says you have to tell your friends.

Well I guess technically I owe you a few. I watched 1 pass with 4 flopers during eliminations and turned it off. It re-comfirmed my dislike of 4 wide. I went to the back yard and watched the grass turn green and grow. MUCH MORE ENTERTAINING.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back