Four Wide (1 Viewer)

How about this concept: 4 wide nitro goes 1320 feet...

We know there's more than enough track- how about it Bruton? You want your race to be special... Make it so.

Head, the main dude behind 1,000 ft. racing, was trying to hold it in his own lane at at 800 feet, plus or minus in the finals.

1320 might be looking like a mile at this point of evolution.

JMO.. jus sayin.

Actualy went by the strip today during first round...... have to say i have seen bigger crowds, parking wise for the dirt track...

I got a head ache watching 4 wide in ESPn tonite , and my wife who is not a fan said what the heck are thy doing it's not like we saw in vegas ,,,,,,

WAY TOO MUCH going on with 4 cars , glad to see fast jack made it to the top of the heap

would i spend my hard earned dollars to go to North Carolina to watch 4 wide

NOPE

Several have said 4 is too many to watch.......I don't get it :confused:

NASCAR fans can watch 40 cars run in circles for 4 hours -
yet we can't watch 4 cars run in a straight line for 4 seconds-

whats wrong with this picture....?? :p

Last edited:
Just watched the DVR. Of the race, sure was a TON Of commercials! Guess with less races they don't have enough filler!

Last edited:
What a cluster ..... Pro stock was ___________. Wow. Totally re-affirmed my disdain for 4-wide. I won't dare call it racing. :(

Greg Anderson would disagree and so do I. Actually, the only PS racer that got screwed today by the 4wide format was Jason Line. There's no way he could have known whether or not Gray was timed out or simply not final-staged, therefore no way to know when to mat the throttle. If it had been 2wide, a late light on his behalf wouldn't have made any difference.

Gray had no excuse for timing out, either, other than he's relatively inexperienced and lost focus. Those staging bulbs are plain and understandable.

Sure are a lot of purists in this crowd, I'll say that...:eek:

You can't fix stupid and you can't fix 4 wide, even with the cute new staging lights. 4 wide sucks on so many levels, and then to have to listen to the drivers be so PC so as to not offend Bruton makes my ass tired.

Krisher and Nobile staging before all the pre stage lights were lit should not have happened, and in a 2 car race Shane Grey would have only affected his day, and not taken other drivers down with him.

In a 2 car race when a driver committed a starting line error, it was only to his detriment, that is no longer the case with 4 wide racing.

Only watched a little of it. Having the camera at the finish zoomed out to get all the cars in the picture sucks. You cant tell if someone smoked the tires or grenaded the engine. So then you get to watch a bunch of replays. It might be cool in person, not so much on TV.

I can understand, if not like, racing 1,000 ft. But, IMHO, this is just plain stupid. I won't bother watching it again. I see less and less of the sport I once knew and loved.

The staging lights made a LOT more sense this year - of this there is no doubt. But...

I haven't been to either of the recent 4-Wide races and I won't spend my hard earned money to go in the future. Simply stated: I am not a fan of it.

The decision for me to spend money, of which I have precious little, is based on, as it is for most, return on investment. There's simply not enough ROI when I lose rounds of racing in the Pro Ranks over the course of the weekend.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the comments early in this thread referring to the Sportman classes - but remember, I can see them for a lot less money at Divisional or even local event tracks. I spend my money to attend National events, for the most part, to see the professionals. Furthermore, the 4-wide gimmick only applies to the Pro's - if it's so great, why doesn't it apply to all of the heads-up categories?

Lastly, a majority of the racers in all three contested professional classes were adamantly opposed to 4-wide until they were convinced by the brass (and Bruton Smith) that they should reconsider. Understandably, they did, and 4-wide lives on. I would've likely done the same thing, given the options (losing Bristol & Las Vegas), but it wouldn't have changed my opinion - I simply would've been forced to keep my opinion to myself. Obviously, I can't speak for any of the racers, nor would I try, but it is interesting that after being so openly opposed, we didn't hear a single disparaging word (WJ almost...) all weekend. Did that many people REALLY change their minds over night?

I feel the new tree helped the fan. But I got so bored watching it on TV I turned it off.

There was so much down time and interviews that it was VERY lame.

Glad it's over and we can go back to watching cars race. Not interviews.

regardless of bias, 4-wide = less runs.
i'm not negative on the 4-wide once annual concept......but
sure seemed like commercial time = race time
too many commercial breaks; 3 hours too long for this
broadcast of 3 pro classes making 21 runs.

thought the varied angles / espn camera placement was done well.

Last edited:
I do find it somewhat ironic that yesterday, the NASCAR race basicaly ended in a 3 wide photo-finish drag race, and everybody on TV thought it was freaking great. I wondered why they got that excited with just 3 cars! :D

I also don't like to watch 4 Wide on TV. Still would like to see it in person once though....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back