Four Wide (1 Viewer)

........Why so much complaining?......

Perhaps because a lot of us simply dislike this format???

Seriously, I'm glad this is only happening one event a year. If it continues, and I'm sure it will, like Karl says, I think it should be a non-points event. Instead of points, perhaps increase the payoff to keep competetors showing up.

I don't think the announcers and some of the racers were that far off in calling this thing a "Circus."

Perhaps because a lot of us simply dislike this format???

Seriously, I'm glad this is only happening one event a year. If it continues, and I'm sure it will, like Karl says, I think it should be a non-points event. Instead of points, perhaps increase the payoff to keep competetors showing up.

I don't think the announcers and some of the racers were that far off in calling this thing a "Circus."

If the payout is the same as every other NHRA event you already ARE making more money because you get a winners paycheck with 3 runs down the track instead of 4.

It's wild the amount of negativity toward this event.

Maybe this is a far off angle but isn't this event supposed to be for fun? Something different? A throwback to the early 4 wide races? A breath of fresh air? Why so much complaining?

Isn't drag racing supposed to be fun? Or is it purely about money and sponsors - the racing, competition, and entertainment being a side effect.

I applaud the NHRA for doing this event.

In my original post I stated I wasn't a fan. Perhaps in my follow-on explanation I showed a little negativity, but that really wasn't my intent.

You (and others who have posted in this thread) bring up some valid points about this event and whereas I still can't sit here and say I'm a fan, I guess I do applaud NHRA (and Bruton) on some level for trying something a little different.

I guess as long as this race doesn't take place during the playoffs, it's an interesting change of pace for one weekend a season... Heck, they tweaked it a little after last year and it improved. Maybe a few tweaks from now it'll have evolved into something I can say I am a fan of. And had nobody been willing to try it, we'd never have the opportunity to get there.

In my original post I stated I wasn't a fan. Perhaps in my follow-on explanation I showed a little negativity, but that really wasn't my intent.

You (and others who have posted in this thread) bring up some valid points about this event and whereas I still can't sit here and say I'm a fan, I guess I do applaud NHRA (and Bruton) on some level for trying something a little different.

I guess as long as this race doesn't take place during the playoffs, it's an interesting change of pace for one weekend a season... Heck, they tweaked it a little after last year and it improved. Maybe a few tweaks from now it'll have evolved into something I can say I am a fan of. And had nobody been willing to try it, we'd never have the opportunity to get there.
That is the most level headed and best post I have read on this subject.

I loved the 4 wide last year as a competitor, and this year as a TV watching fan,(I could not attend due to other commitments with my mother recently passing). In fact this was the only telecast I have watched in it's entirity for the last 4 years.

ESPN did an excellent job of showcasing the sponsors on each car prior to each round. They made a point to go accross all four lanes with a close up of each car. Lanes 3 and 4 actually put the spectator side fans the same distance away from cars as the pit side stands. Even I could see all four cars clearly when sitting in the stands last year, and I wear glasses.

I learned from my days with FRAM that if the car is lettered properly the sponsor's logos will be clear to the fans in the top rolls as well as the people trackside. Remember Herbert's Irwin tool car from last year?

I would have myself medically checked out if I couldn't keep up with the action from the stands or on TV when 4 cars are running. Didn't seem hard to me at all.

When talking about media coverage, the 4 wide gets a lot more media than the standard events. Brings in the casual spectators also that seem to make up the majority of national event crowds now. Maybe some will get hooked.

Seems it is fashionable to jump on the negativity band wagon now days. I like variety, something about it being the spice of life, and being different isn't all bad.

Iwould like to give some postive feedback from someone who was at the 4 wide. Because of the bad weather (rain and high wind) the race was delay by 3 1/2 hrs. When it finally started it was very exciting to watch 4 cars go down together. The first session didn't have alot of side by side racing, but the second session was great with lots of side by side racing. Our seats we near the 330' cones and about 3/4 up bleachers and we could see the new blue lights easily.
We went on Saturday because I like to see the Pro's go down twice. With the rain delay it was announce that they'd be done by 9-9:30.
If it wasn't for the 4 wide it would have been 11, or NHRA could have said we've got 3 qualitying session in so we'll cancel the 4th. And we wouldn't have seen the show we paid to see. I went thinking I wasn't going to be able to see/watch 4 cars do down together and keep track of who's who but it was easy. I really enjoy it.:)

Krisher and Nobile staging before all the pre stage lights were lit should not have happened, and in a 2 car race Shane Grey would have only affected his day, and not taken other drivers down with him..

nothing in the rulebook against staging before all others are pre-staged.
Gray did not " take other drivers down with him". The 7 second time out rule is the same in two wide as it is in four wide.

The 7 seconds start when one is staged and all others are pre-staged. Look at the tape – gray was the last one to pre-staged – so actually he started the 7 seconds. As soon as gray pre-staged the other drivers should have known they had 7 seconds, (they are pros right??) And brought the revs up. They did not.

When gray saw that he was last to pre-stage, and that another was fully staged, gray should've known he had 7 seconds. For whatever reason he sat there over 9 seconds, thus the red light. Drivers are human just like the rest of us they make mistakes. Greg Anderson said it best, " they all got caught with their pants down".

1) Christopher sez: "There is one fewer round interview for people to pimp their sponsors."

Carl sez: There is one fewer round for racers to blow up parts, saving their sponsors more money than they would have benefited from one extra round interview.

2) Christopher sez: "one fewer round for their bucks."

Carl sez: They spent less bucks in the first place; two tickets for $60 which includes 2 free beers.

3) Christopher sez: "there are too many numbers to make sense of it all."

Carl sez: There aren't ENOUGH numbers, specifically, reaction times.

4) Christopher sez: "They can't see 2/3rds of their opponents, so it's hard to race them."

Carl sez: Don't worry about the other 3. Get your heap from A to B as quickly as possible and worry about the result once you step out of your car at the turnaround. If you have to pedal it, pedal it. You're supposed to know how to do that already.

5) Christopher sez: "There's the very real possibility that someone can win only one of three rounds and still take away the trophy."

Carl sez: Yes, there is. Just like there has been in every Olympic Games event since its' inception. It's not unusual. It's just different from what we're used to seeing.

6) Christopher sez: "Doesn't even seem to be Bruton:"

Carl sez: He doesn't care. First, the money he makes from hot dog sales won't buy his underwear, and second, he's already made his money. What he loves is all the hype, all the attention, and yes, all the controversy. Ol' Bruton will be just fine.

See there, Christopher, there's a silver lining to every dark cloud after all. You just gotta look for it. ;)

Last edited:
"This is a great point! Why don't we run the time wasting throttle stop cars 4 wide and get them over and done with in 4 rounds instead of 7. 4 cars go down the track.. 1 wins. I don't see why only the pros get to have all the fun. Let's see those "racers" run the finish line with 4 cars at a time.

great , let's make it a "full" four wide, instead of just a "pro" four wide.

In case you didn't notice, sportsman car counts are down in general. Throw something else into the mix like 4 wide staging and watch the decline in participation accelerate

nothing in the rulebook against staging before all others are pre-staged.
Gray did not " take other drivers down with him". The 7 second time out rule is the same in two wide as it is in four wide.

The 7 seconds start when one is staged and all others are pre-staged. Look at the tape – gray was the last one to pre-staged – so actually he started the 7 seconds. As soon as gray pre-staged the other drivers should have known they had 7 seconds, (they are pros right??) And brought the revs up. They did not.

When gray saw that he was last to pre-stage, and that another was fully staged, gray should've known he had 7 seconds. For whatever reason he sat there over 9 seconds, thus the red light. Drivers are human just like the rest of us they make mistakes. Greg Anderson said it best, " they all got caught with their pants down".

The seven seconds starts after all cars are prestaged and the first car enters the staged light. Once one car enters the prestage, all other car(s) have approximately 15 seconds to prestage. If a car goes into the stage light before the other(s) are prestaged, then all time limits are off.

In case you didn't notice, sportsman car counts are down in general. Throw something else into the mix like 4 wide staging and watch the decline in participation accelerate

Nobody is holding a gun to their head saying they have to run the race. If you don't like it stay home. Better odds for the ones that to have the ability to do it.

They are going to keep going down until the gas prices and hotel prices go down. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I tried to keep an open mind and watch it "fresh" but I still think as a competition format its just not as exciting or compelling as watching 2 lane racing.

The "blimp" shots they were using to be able to see all 4 cars made me feel like I was a mile away from the race and I missed not be able to see any big "head to head" matchups.

I'd say keep 4 wide for qualifying to give fans a chance to experience four nitro cars making a run at the same time but go back to 2 lane eliminations on Sundays, maybe this would boost the gate on Fridays and Saturdays.

In Pro Stock the 7 second clock should not start until 3 cars are fully staged, then it would be more like two wide and they would not have to guess so much as to when to go on the limiter.

Huh? That would only make it worse. As it is now, you're guaranteed to be on the limiter less than 7 seconds. With your approach, you could be on the limiter for a week, waiting for the third guy, then the clock would start, meaning an additional 7 seconds.

Why would you go on the chip before three bulbs where lit? Seems to me once three cars are in you would then know there is at least 7 seconds before the green.

Regardless of when you go on the chip, your method only increases the time people are sitting with both bulbs lit. Why is that a good thing? As it is, everyone is guaranteed to not be sitting there more than 7 seconds with both bulbs lit. In your method, I could be there a couple of minutes.

Why would you go on the chip before three bulbs where lit?

Why would you go on the limiter before four 'staged' bulbs are lit?

If a driver times out, the blue bulb should turn red, letting the other 3 immediately know what happened and to hit the chip. As it was, no one had any idea if Gray was timed out or simply not yet final-staged.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back