Four Wide (1 Viewer)

A key part of drag racing for me (as a racer) is the one-on-one nature of the sport. I love the battle against the person in the other lane. Even if everyone says "I'm racing the track not the guy in the other lane", yea, right, BS. The staring over at the other person in the staging lanes, the staging ballet, the RT battle, and the delicate dance at the finish line.

Like boxing, singles tennis, and many other sports, the single-elimination one-on-one element is very compelling to me. To me, 4-wide turns it into a simple race, like a running race or (shudder) NASCAR. You're not racing someone else, you're racing everyone else. Imagine boxing with four guys in the ring... ugh.

To me this is more than a gimmick to get the whole thing over quicker, it changes the whole nature of the sport. And isn't sub 5 seconds fast enough for a sport? It's hard enough to explain this sport to people ("really, a race is 3-4 seconds long?"), now we have someone trying to make it all over faster?

I don't like this, sorry.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about. This change is only for one race.(So far, I for one hope it does spread to a couple of the tracks that have the room to accommodate four wide.)

I don't recall any big hubbub when they changed Pro stock to 500 in.
or how about when they took the engine from in front of the driver, and put it behind the driver in top fuel. Now those were two dramatic changes.

With four wide, they are still leaving from a dead stop – and driving straight to the finish line. So really not all that much different. Why all the clatter??

If someone enjoys seeing two at a time, I can't for the life of be figure why they would dislike seeing for the time....:confused:

I love football, doesn't mean that I want to see four teams on the field at once. Same thing here

NHRA has never put ANY effort into "marketing" Sprtsman cars on TV.
If they wanted to, they could do it.... the material is there.... but they don't, and they won't.

You're absolutely correct; if they'd take the time to show, explain and detail all the little nuances of Sportsman racing it would make for an interesting presentation, indeed. As I said, the pass itself is TV-boring. But as you said, camera shots of the wheelstand, foot action on the gas and clutch pedals, shifting gears, explaining the breakouts, etc. would be a refreshing break from the slam-bam of 4 second nitro runs.

I wonder, however, how many mainstream couch potatoes would be interested - or ever get interested - in such detailed coverage of what NHRA considers to be second-string racing. I'm afraid ESPN's marketing has shown that the rage of nitro racing is what keeps butts in the stands and fans glued to the television. Ya, I'd like to see a 4 wide event, ONCE, in the flesh and I'll watch it when it comes to ESPN2. That doesn't mean I'll lose sight of all the 'regular folks' who do so much for our sport.

You're a stand-up guy, Bill. I, too, appreciate your thoughts. ;)

Last edited:
A key part of drag racing for me (as a racer) is the one-on-one nature of the sport. I love the battle against the person in the other lane. Even if everyone says "I'm racing the track not the guy in the other lane", yea, right, BS. The staring over at the other person in the staging lanes, the staging ballet, the RT battle, and the delicate dance at the finish line.

Like boxing, singles tennis, and many other sports, the single-elimination one-on-one element is very compelling to me. To me, 4-wide turns it into a simple race, like a running race or (shudder) NASCAR. You're not racing someone else, your racing everyone else. Imagine boxing with four guys in the ring... ugh.

To me this is more than a gimmick to get the whole thing over quicker, it changes the whole nature of the sport. And isn't sub 5 seconds fast enough for a sport? It's hard enough to explain this sport to people ("really, a race is 3-4 seconds long?"), now we have someone trying to make it all over faster?

that hits the nail right on the head...

to me 4-wide drag racing makes as much sense as a pair of pants with 4 legs...

Floppers Last year: Note, this is just winners vis 4 pack and does not reflect lanes... ie, Hagan and Lee ran side by side in RD 1 while Robert and Jeff ran in the same lane during the same quad :eek::rolleyes:

Rd 1
#9 Hagan 1st ET 4.040
#16 Lee 2nd ET 4.327

#4 Princess 1st ET 4.075
#12 Cruz 2nd ET 4.248

#2 Capps 1st ET 4.032
#7 Wilkerson 2nd ET 4.079

#3 Beckman 1st ET 4.068
#6 Papa John 2nd ET 4.096

Rd 2

Princess 1st ET 4.122
Hagan 2nd ET 4.106

Papa 1st ET 4.064
Capps 2nd ET 4.064

Finals

Papa 1st ET 4.036
Princess 2nd ET 4.042
Capps 3rd ET 4.088
Hagan 4th ET 6.736

Last edited:
when one Mr Smith owns a many of the tracks that the NHRA goes to he carries more weight than the teams do

I guess what I don't understand is, to my knowledge, nobody is contractually bound to perform, unlike the stick and ball sports. But I suppose trying to get, say 90% or more of the teams to stand their ground, is basically impossible.

Zappy, I think there are few things that make a weekend go by quicker than attending a national event. Among other things, I wouldn't want it to go by even faster by watching 4-wide.

Personally, I think the 4 wide should be an exhibition, and not a National event. You know why it isn't an exhibition? Because having it a National event pretty much makes for mandatory participation. I doubt there would be much participation if it were an exhibition. Unless of course, they made it a huge payday.

I hate 1000' racing. But, for the tracks that absolutely can't handle 1320', I am ok with it. Why not run 1000' on those tracks, and 1320' on the ones that are safe for it? That would definitely make the race for the Championship more interesting. It would add one more element for the crew chiefs and crews to deal with. One week they are at a 1000' track, the next at 1320'. Everything changes.

After 40 plus years hanging around this sport, the NHRA has pretty much lost me. I still casually keep up, but not like I used to. I don't go to races anymore. I don't watch much on tv anymore. I don't even DVR the race and go back and watch at my leisure. It's just gotten too cookie cutter for me. Why in the hell are they racing 1000' on tracks that are more than capable of SAFELY handling 1320' racing? Hey, at least this 4 wide stuff isn't cookie cutter. The NHRA should be so open minded in other areas.

Why aren't the Pro Mods a Pro category at every single event? Aren't they trying to GROW this sport? Aren't they trying to attract more viewers? What is the NHRA afraid of? Adding more time to the event? As pissed off as I am about 1000' racing at every event, I'd probably be more inclined to attend a 1000' race with Pro Mods, than I would a 1320' event without them. Why is the NHRA missing the Pro Mod boat? Do they think the Pro Mods will detract interest in Pro Stock, or Motorcycle? I just don't get it.

Sorry to go off on tangents again, but I think this 4 wide controversy leads to questions about other aspects of this sport we love.

I'd rather watch Pass Time than the NHRA events these days...

I guess what I don't understand is, to my knowledge, nobody is contractually bound to perform, unlike the stick and ball sports. But I suppose trying to get, say 90% or more of the teams to stand their ground, is basically impossible.

Zappy, I think there are few things that make a weekend go by quicker than attending a national event. Among other things, I wouldn't want it to go by even faster by watching 4-wide.

with the points system now in place its not like you have to go to every race in order make the top 10. If it bombs again this year I would like to see teams be brave enough to follow through on their threat BUT

while they are not obligated to NHRA they may be to their sponsors tro race X amount of races or race the full season. Missing a race might put that in jeapody. Although a smart sponsor would realize that the publicity it would get for that driver and in turn their product.

Like boxing, singles tennis, and many other sports, the single-elimination one-on-one element is very compelling to me. To me, 4-wide turns it into a simple race, like a running race or (shudder) NASCAR. You're not racing someone else, you're racing everyone else. Imagine boxing with four guys in the ring... ugh.

Spot on, Chris, but why apologize? I don't like it either (it sucks), and I won't apologize one little bit.

So many of us complaining about our sport becoming cookie-cutter.
They come up with something just a little different, and we still complain. :confused:

What gets me is the fact that most on here that don't like it, also admit that they've never seen it in person. :confused:

the Roundy round folks run 40 or more at a time, what's the problem with us running four at a time??

What happened to the post-race petition that was signed by nearly all the drivers last year emphatically declaring they would never race in the 4-wide format again? I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just drawing a blank as to the aftermath of that petition.

P R O ( professional racers organization ) turned in a petition to the sanctioning body stating that the Pro stock drivers are refusing to run in any future four wide competitions.

Just a few days later the sanctioning body announced that the spring 2011 race at Z Max, would in fact be a four wide competition.

The Pro stock drivers said (basically) oh, okay, we'll be there.

What gets me is the fact that most on here that don't like it, also admit that they've never seen it in person. :confused:

four wide has NO appeal at all. Saw it back in the day..didn't like it then, didn't like it last year (saw one day in person rest on TV) and won't watch it this year on TV or other wise. It sucks..JMO

P R O ( professional racers organization ) turned in a petition to the sanctioning body stating that the Pro stock drivers are refusing to run in any future four wide competitions.

Just a few days later the sanctioning body announced that the spring 2011 race at Z Max, would in fact be a four wide competition.

The Pro stock drivers said (basically) oh, okay, we'll be there.

The petition was signed by nearly all participants from last year, Top Fuel and Funny Car primarily included......this wasn't a Pro Stock only deal. With the way Pro Stock is treated by the NHRA and some ppl here, nobody would've cared had it been a Pro Stock only petition.

You're a stand-up guy, Bill. I, too, appreciate your thoughts. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

Having attended my first NHRA National event in 1957, and a few others (in '58, '61, '62, a "World Finals" in '67 and another Nationals in '71,) I guess my perspective is a little different from most peoples' on here, and it shows.

Thanks for listening to an "old coot." :)

Bill

I'm not quite that ancient :); if I recall, the first big event I attended was an OCIR 64-car funny car meet back around '70 or so. The first actual national event I attended was the NHRA Springnationals, held at the now-defunct Dallas International Motor Speedway about the same time. What a beautiful facility; too bad it didn't make it.

Next time you make a run up Highway 65, stop in Damascus and say hello to the rest of the Lowell clan. ;)

the proof of 4-wide success, failure or indifference is in numbers;
seats sold & tv ratings, notably now in 2nd year.
personally, i'd love to see it live and will watch on tv
mentioned before, IMO this race adds variety to the 22 race schedule
that the nhra could use more of.

the zmax facility, if not racing 4-wide, should then host the US nationals.
take your pick.

If there's anything about 4-wide I don't like, it's the fact that people only get to see half the number of Professional-class races that they'd normally get to watch. I would think some sponsors would be less than keen on the idea, too. As for it being non-traditional, that bothers some, obviously, but not me. Making GMC superchargers mandatory in NASCAR racing would be non-traditional, too...but pretty cool, no? :)

Memo to Bill...I live in Texas, but I'm in Damascus often visiting my son, wife and all my grandsons. We enjoy it up there, especially the country atmosphere. My daughter-in-law goes to some college and works part-time there in Conway. They know a guy named Ward; not sure which one it is but I've heard talk of him. Maybe a neighbor or something.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back