Force v Hight (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
If this is somewhere else in another thread, Mods feel free to delete or combine.

Just gotta ask the maters--what's your take on the Force/Hight race--I know what I think--how bout the rest of you?

Has there ever been a time where two Force cars squared up where there were serious points implications and the winner wasn't the beneficiary of a "tanked" run? I think I can recall one or two where the expected outcome wasnt the case but nothing like the Melanie Troxel and Morgan Lucas deal at Reading last year (I think it was Reading).

Can you blame them if he did tank the run? Even Beckman said in an interview yesterday that it depends on the situation.

I don't think John threw the run though. I feel this way because from what I've seen he's been so adamantly against team orders, and I don't think he's a liar. Maybe years back they did that sort of thing (Tony P. yesterday -"I'm not sayint thats what they did"-), but I don't think they do anymore.

Moot point, Force was not going to run 4.00

How about Capps, he didn't go 5 feet against Beckman.

I'm not sayin', im just sayin'. :D

Last edited:
And along the same line,considering their new alliance, I really expected Johnny Gray to go red or experience massive tire shake, or get out of the groove against Allen Johnson--guess that kinda thing just isn't Johnny Gs style! Hats off there to all concerned!

Maybe it was a "moo" point? Or possibly a moot point...yeah, that's the ticket.

No way, no how was John going to run a 4.00...or better...to beat Robert. So no matter the outcome, the naysayers-and the Pedregons-would have been crying team orders until the moo-cows came home. Sounded like the worst of the worst in the political campaign ads yesterday on TV rather than a DRAG RACE!!!!

And even IF team orders were in play it makes no difference as long as Wilk keeps going to final rounds. Moot point.

Yeah.... I wish Team Orders could go like this...

"HEY JERRY, GARY, RON...YOU'VE GOT WILKERSON 1st ROUND... BEAT HIM!!! I ORDER YOU!"

- The Don!;)

Seriously though. If I was on a multiple car team and one of my BOYS/GIRLS was going for a championship, I think I'd do the same. Especially when the teams SPONSORSHIPS are so Closely tied together. IE.. JFR.... If I remember correctly the first Multiple car teams, like Larry Minor/Gary Beck...Minor was a "BLOCKER" for Gary.

Castrol/ AAA/ OLD SPICE are on all (3) Cars in one shape or form. So, it's not like the sponsors would get pissed about not having exposure. It's the ultimate example of "Taking One for the Team", for the best outcome for the team.

I know that I might be in the minority here, but I don't mind team orders. If it bothers you that much, go buy another beer, a hot dog, or some ice cream when the team cars come up to race. It's part of all sports. (the Sacrifice Bunt, the assist, the wide receiver blocking for the running back.)

Can you blame them if he did tank the run? Even Beckman said in an interview yesterday that it depends on the situation.

I thought Beckman said if it came down to the Finals in Pomona with a shot at the championship. Which lends itself to the belief that only at Pomona2 with a shot at the championship will DSR give any team orders. Saying "it depends on the situation" is a little more open ended and NOT what I heard Beckman say. Nick, I hope I'm not busty your nutz here :D. I just think if we're going to quote drivers/crew chiefs/TV dudes, we need to be exact.

The point one of the Pedregon Bro's made was that with Force against Hight, Prock was given the opportunity to see what the track would hold knowing they would win anyway, meaning if they were actually racing, Prock would have been more conservative and wouldn't have gone for it. That run produced the 4.00.

I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just pointing out what was implied

The point one of the Pedregon Bro's made was that with Force against Hight, Prock was given the opportunity to see what the track would hold knowing they would win anyway, meaning if they were actually racing, Prock would have been more conservative and wouldn't have gone for it. That run produced the 4.00.

bada bing , bada boom.

bada bing , bada boom.

That is what Dickie implied, but I see it quite the opposite.

Why would JP risk smoking the tires on a free pass?? If John did tank by going up in smoke, what would Hight gain by trying to rotate the earth (which he did) and risk going up in smoke himself??? What if Robert smoked first?? If I knew I was going to get a free-bee- I would have made sure the car went A to B something to guarantee a win. I would NOT run .04 better then any other funny car pass ever, or 4 MPH faster then I had run all year.
(Then again, maybe that's why I'm sitting here, and Jimmy Prock is Jimmy Prock)

If Robert had smoked the tires first, John would have had to pull the dive of all attempted dives-Not worth the risk.

(Record for worst attempted dive goes to Larry Minor, who all but dug his feet into the track to slow down while ahead against Beck in '83 at Baton Rouge...still didn't work-long story)

I'd be willing to bet that 4.00 would have come against anybody.

It doesn't really matter what the truth is as long as people get their shots in, right? Whether it's up in smoke or less than a foot at the finish line, the same conversation will take place with the same players staking claim to their covert discovery.

Some call it a "dive" ---others would call it, strategy. ;);)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back