Early 80's FC pics from BIR. (1 Viewer)

brian,
what are they building? behind basketball hoops?

They have that whole area ripped apart and it looks like they're adding more road course. I think they are connecting the road course in the middle to make it into two smaller road courses but I'm not 100% positive. I'll post a few pictures later tonight. :)

Last edited:
Here they are.

After looking at the pictures again, I think Paul's camp site might be safe..... but only by a few inches. :D

bir1.jpg

bir3.jpg

bir2.jpg

BIR New Construction Gallery
does it look like they're trying to make the road course a separate venue that will no longer go under bridge and use drag strip?
look at aerial pic, new road course turns off of turn 8, winds through
'campground' and 're-enters' road course before turn 1 (new drag turnoff)

interesting stuff. can't wait to see it completed.
with the weather we've been having lately, it wouldn't surprise me
if they're still working on it.

thinking a little further on this - seems like they
could host drags and sports car club races simultaneously;
double earnings for track on same weekend/s.

Yeah man, that was back when funny cars were still "funny". "Funny" in the sense that there weren't just 2 or 3 cookie cutter, store-bought & regulated body designs. You'd see Corvettes, Buicks, Monza, Mustang, Dodge Daytonas, Vegas, Trans Ams, and alot of others. I sure miss those days.

Wow, quite the stroll down memeory lane. I laugh out loud seeing the day's fashions, particularly the tight, short shorts we used to wear. It's funny to see BIR and how different it looked then. The lack of a guardwall for the length of the track is missing, the old Met Stadium bleachers they put up when they got the Nationals in '82 are now gone, and of course, the tower that was built in the late 80's.
Thanks for sharing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back