Doug Bomb (1 Viewer)

can't say i've ever seen another version/angle of it either fred......thanks for posting it.
this was the final race as 'nhra winston drag racing' i believe? was that a very rare appearance of jack clark / taco bell TF'r in other lane?

Man you must have been just a few seats ahead of me. I got some motor pieces. But the guy who got the butterfly’s got a great memory. I saw him getting them signed the next day.

I was down around 600' and I could not believe my eyes. I've never seen pieces go over the bleachers before.

That is wild, I have only seen two other angles, the tv camera and Gil Rebilas' video from the shutdown area. It's amazing you can see stuff coming right for you and then hearing all the bits of metal raining on the stands. Incredible capture

No one got hurt in this, right?

Left Lane: Doug Herbert No Time, Now #17; Best prior run: 4.847/284.62, Was #17
Right Lane: Bobby Baldwin Runs 5.226/205.44, Now #19; Best prior run: 10.324/83.89, Was #23

Herbert's engine grenaded in a huge fireball as soon as he hit the throttle. Pieces of engine went sailing in all directions. Large pieces went into the grandstands and flew over the left-hand stands, into the top end of the staging lanes and the Top Eliminator Club compound. Several spectators and at least one TV crewman were injured by the flying debris. One supercharger rotor landed about 200 feet down the track, a supercharger rotor landed near John Force's trailer in the pits, and a large piece of the intake manifold landed near the head of the staging lanes. Baldwin's run was lost in the excitement, but the replays show him losing traction and then losing an engine just beyond half track.

The preliminary report is that all the injuries are minor. Fourteen people were injured and ten will be transported for treatment. All are expected to be released this evening.

Dave,

Thanks for posting the above info. My memory is foggy after twenty years but I do remember them hauling at least one injured spectator out of the pit grandstand and seeing pieces going over into the pit area. The concussion rocked us in the stands and it had to be brutal for those standing trackside. That couple of seconds when the camera is pointed at the back of the guy in front of me is when we were all focused on one of those rotors mentioned above coming our way. It ended up landing right out in front of us. Amazing no one was seriously injured or killed.

The original video, shot on Digital 8mm format was much sharper. Not sure if it degraded over time or the camera I found to copy if off is the culprit. I'd like to find another playback source to see if it improves.

I was down around 600' and I could not believe my eyes. I've never seen pieces go over the bleachers before.

I was on the fence at about half track pit side. We were also stunned by the size of the fireball, the noise that it made (impossible to describe and I have never heard it since) and the sheer amount of flying debris.

2001 was the last year for Winston as the title sponsor.

Wow, the other views I've seen of this didn't show the debris in nearly as much detail. Holy sh*t moment for sure!!!

Some of the debris went well over the bleachers and punctured the roofs of a few motor homes parked along the west side of the pit entrance fence. Lucky that things weren't worse.

Wow, lotsa interesting posts. I wasn't there, but didn't remember if anyone had been hurt. What I remember about this was that Doug had 99% in the tank, and that there had been other boomers by some teams running high nitro %. This was why NHRA lowered the % of nitro. I have seen my share of crazy stuff, like front motor T/F "woofing the blower" and the rotors going down the track in front of the car (no blower bags back then). Larry Bowers exploding the clutch and the can & clutch discs & flywheel going over the top end stands at OCIR & landing in the pits. One night at Lions, AA/FA on the line and "woofed" the blower. Rotors went straight up and came down thru the windshield of a car waiting to make a run. Hit the passenger side of the windshield, Don't remember if the driver got hurt. And Garlits' accident. arghh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back