OCIR gems (1 Viewer)

rckymtn3

Nitro Member
Not sure if this was posted at a previous time, I searched and couldn't find this guy's name, so pardon if it's a repeat.

If you want a unique view of OCIR, Dwight Guild (ddguild1) is your man. He shoots most of the runs (563 videos) from atop the iconic tower, or near to it, a few on top of the starter's box between the water boxes, sometimes in the shutdown area, and even shows his chops by placing his camera in front of the tree on the ground, as well as hanging it along the same cabling that suspended the tree. (this was in 1980-83!) The last videos were shot just a couple of months before it's closure.

A Herculean effort....not only did he shoot the video, (remember, personal color video cameras were just coming out in the late 70's early 80's), but he went through the trouble of digitizing and labeling and uploading each video with the date it was shot, and who is in it, along with other interesting notes on the cars/people.(and I think there's only two or three videos he needs help IDing the participants)
Mostly Fuel FC, Dragsters and Alky FC and Dragsters, but throws some Prostock and Nitro Bikes in there too, as well as a few larger files which consolidates Sportsman classes. And yes, even rocket/jet cars...

Fantastic job!! Worth a look. See a virtual Who's Who of West Coast Racers....Especially if you like raw drag racing....the sound is the BEST part! No talking, just the true sounds of the strip.

In his words:

I shot many many hours of "home movie" style drag race video, primarily from OCIR, 1979 thru 1983. I decided to break down the videos into individual runs, and load them up for racers, their families, fans, and friends to enjoy.

Dwight Guild's Videos - YouTube

or go to the 19 pages of videos directly....the earliest videos are on page 19

Dwight Guild's Videos - YouTube

Last edited:
Dwights work is some of the best. Love how he has a book on every video with the car, driver, and date.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back