Does NHRA have the cart before the horse? (1 Viewer)

Whatever they do I hope it makes things easier cost wise to allow more people to afford to race. I also hope that the worry of the big money guys just running them lean and burning the heads off every run doesnt eventuate so that it doesn't make it completely unaffordable for new guys and doesnt price little guys out of the deal.
William, I have been reading posts on here all day and some I agree with and some I don't. But this is the first one that I think hit the nail on the head. I hope every thing is going good for you over there in New Zealand.

Last edited:
Because back when the cars originally ran the speeds that the NHRA wants to slow the cars back down to, track length wasn't an issue. In other words..... I never heard people saying the track was too short when they were running 4.90's @ 300. It didn't seem to become a problem until 320 - 330. So if they slow the cars back down to when track length wasn't an issue, why WOULDN'T they return to 1320?

If your gonna drop the speed, then drop the length a little more. AKA NHRA goes 1/8 Mile Racing.

As long as entertainment does not become the number 1 priority as soon as entertainment becomes the main priority in a racing organisation things are just bound to go down the toilet.

Right...because the one thing you don't want to do is make sure you put on a good show that keeps fans coming back to watch.

Right...because the one thing you don't want to do is make sure you put on a good show that keeps fans coming back to watch.

Thats not what I meant, If there is one thing I have learnt so far this year is that I seem to be a minority as far as fans concern. I like the racing the competition seeing people compete race and win. I get excite at the thought of who is going to win each round. But I also love the noise and the big burnouts and fire and everything. But the end of the day the racing is what its about for me, but thats just me.

My idea is this, just get rid of the nitro classes. They are little more than an exibition class anymore anyway. Qualifying is almost a joke any more as usually one or both cars do not make complete runs. And as for eliminations it is almost as bad.

I truely enjoy the Alcohol classes and Pro Mod alot more. Qualifying is usually close as well as eliminations. Pro Stock produces very close racing also even though it is not my favorite class. It's always nice after the nitro cars run because there is plenty of seating when the all the other classes run.

I guess for life of me I cannot believe as smart as these crew chiefs are and as some of the NHRA employees are that a simple solution to slow these cars down has not be developed.

I have been attending NHRA national events since 1969 and cannot figure out how they made these cars so fast and now they can't figure out how to slow them down. Just my .02:(

Read the text in the black area...QUOTE]

That was Big Jim talkin. I want to see a quote from a named nhra offical stateing that nhra "Wants to go back to 1320". Then I'll believe it.

All the talk so far is..slowing the cars, I've seen no mention from nhra about 1320. Heck even the Ace said leave the cars alone and stay at 1,000ft. when asked about the little pumps.

I have been attending NHRA national events since 1969 and cannot figure out how they made these cars so fast and now they can't figure out how to slow them down. Just my .02:(

Hey Craig, they didn't all sit down together and figure out how to make the cars go fast, so they certainly aren't going to sit down and figure out how to make them slowdown.

Last edited:
NHRA will never get rid of the nitro classes. Thats just silly. All the marketing for the sport is based around TF and FC. When do you see a pro stock car on an ad for a national event? Never. Nitro is what our sport is based around. The stands are packed when TF and FC run. They empty out when the rest of the classes make their runs. There is a way to slow these cars down but the NHRA doesn't want to listen to their experts, I.E. Alan Johnson, Austin Coil, and so on and so forth. In this sport you cannot tell these crew chiefs to go slower. Its not in their vocabulary. Nitro racing is all about going to the max. These crew chiefs dont know anything else. Until the NHRA higher ups shut up and listen we will continue to have these discussions. Anyhow thats my .02:D

That was Big Jim talkin. I want to see a quote from a named nhra offical stateing that nhra "Wants to go back to 1320". Then I'll believe it.

The NHRA usually doesn't openly talk about rule changes before the implement them. That's nothing new. They're not going to make a public announcement about returning to 1320 when they don't have a solution figured out yet.

From what I understand, they sent out an email to nitro teams and I suspect that is what Big Jim (and Jerry Newman) was referring to. Also, I am about 99% sure Mike Dunn said on the broadcast this past Saturday that the NHRA wants to return to 1320 but it won't happen until the 2011 Winternationals at the earliest.

I have no inside info either.... but I'm not ignoring what the people WHO DO have inside info are saying.

Last edited:
equipment manufacturers will need to engineer backwards (smaller ports
in cylinder heads for example).......the well funded teams will still have the
new 'slower' parts before anyone else and will still dominate......lesser funded
teams will wait a little longer to get the new 'slow' parts.

Ok Brian, are you willing to go on record as predicting that nhra will go back to 1320 at the 2011 Winter nats??? Or any time in 2011 for that mater???

I wasn't the one who said that.... I just repeated it. Maybe you should ask Mike Dunn if he want's to go on record? ;)

I do think the NHRA will eventually go back to 1320, but I'm not going to predict WHEN it will happen. My original point in this thread was about you saying "it aint ever gonna happen" when people who DO have inside info have said otherwise..... that's all.

They should listen to Bill Miller. He stated that the full pump issue is just a by-product of how much of a hurricane they have blowin in there now and the way NHRA is approaching this will cause more carnage..and not less.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back