Does NHRA have the cart before the horse? (1 Viewer)

NHRA will never get rid of the nitro classes.
Not sure that decision is up to the NHRA. Over here in Europe we have legislation popping up along the lines of this document http://uglytech.com/Order_on_Precursors.pdf that was sent out to a majority of the European nitro racers last fall (of both the 2- and 4-wheel persuasion).

Check the first paragraph in conjunction with § 1.4 in that document. 40%.

I'd be "very surprised" if the legalese in that document started on a whim from someone in the Danish parliament.

Regards
PiPPi

Bill Miller stated, “Airflow is what got us to this power level. The fuel pump volume is merely a requirement of how much airflow you have. It seems only logical that if you want to slow them down again, you do not address the device that is merely responding to airflow. You need to slow the airflow back down.”

IMO, this just might be the answer.

Do we go the way of NASCAR with, dare I say,...

wait for it...

restrictor plates?

Bill Miller stated, “Airflow is what got us to this power level. The fuel pump volume is merely a requirement of how much airflow you have. It seems only logical that if you want to slow them down again, you do not address the device that is merely responding to airflow. You need to slow the airflow back down.”

IMO, this just might be the answer.

wait for it...

restrictor plates?

Bill Miller's comments make sense regarding airflow. The problems with restrictor plates is while they are easy for the racing organization to implement they open up a huge can of worms in that with a lot of cubic money you can develop special restrictor plate engines that will out run a "normal" engine that just has the plate slapped on. The cost of NASCAR engine development shot through the roof when the plates were introduced.

I guess limiting the pump size is probably a better way to go than trying to limit air flow with a plate as I don't think there is quite as much opportunity to gain an advantage with a "small pump" specific engine design as there is with a "plate" specific engine design.

But its also going to be expensive, you will get an advantage by optimizing the cylinder heads, blowers, manifolds, camshafts etc. for this restricted fuel flow. I guess at least the low buck teams can let the high dollar boys blow the money on developing these new parts and just wait until they filter out to the masses.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to slow the cars down significantly that won't have associated significant expenses for the teams.

What's a little scary about the restricted fuel flow approach is that some high dollar teams could at high expense pursue and develop a "lean burn" approach that is too costly for the low buck teams to implement. It would require specially developed heads and blower to get more energy out of the leaner mixture, not to mention the massive smog pump (just kidding about that one, I think).

Last edited:

wait for it...

restrictor plates?

Restrictor plates on a forced induction engine? That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

I'm wondering why they can't just slow the blower down..... maybe even underdive it if necessary? That's just a simple pulley change.

Restrictor plates on a forced induction engine? That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

I'm wondering why they can't just slow the blower down..... maybe even underdive it if necessary? That's just a simple pulley change.

That is what I was wondering, Just slow the blower down to get the amount of air needed for the proper A/F ratio and go from there. I would think it would be fairly simple to fine tune that combo with minor pulley combos.
I realize they would probably need new cyl. heads/ Cams, Etc.
One thing is for sure, If NHRA sticks to this rule we will all know after the Winternationals who figured out the best combination.;)

Proper air fuel ratio? Nitro is almost 1 to 1 not quite but close. It does produce its own oxygen you know.

"8/71 or 10/71" with no set backs... blower discharge port at front of case to front of manifold. No extended drive snout.

And Zappy, Just because Wally banned Nitro, we both know A Chit Load of Pop was burnt during the "Ban"... with other goodies mixed in.... You know, kinda like the burn out and raising the body after the burn out to activate the timing box after is just for show... Zippy and Guido can tell you just how unnecessary that is... or anyone who ran a flop in Super Elm. in 69 or earlier... read BOTH sides of M/T's yellow car with Danny O driving at the last Div 7 points race at the County, in 69...

d'kid

So, you Push enough Nitro through it, and an A/FD will run the same as a T/F?:confused:

d'kid

I don't know im not a tuner, some of the others on here might know. My guess is the added air intake from the blower allows you to run more fuel through it where as a injected combination would rely on the engines own vacuum. I have no idea though im no tuner just a fan who finds this stuff interesting im just throwing ideas into the wind and hoping I hit the right spot.

I don't know im not a tuner, some of the others on here might know. My guess is the added air intake from the blower allows you to run more fuel through it where as a injected combination would rely on the engines own vacuum. I have no idea though im no tuner just a fan who finds this stuff interesting im just throwing ideas into the wind and hoping I hit the right spot.

YOU OWE ME A KEYBOARD.

d'kid

NHRA wasn't much in those days , most tracks ran their own deal and Nitro...
AHRA was bigger than NHRA in a large part of the country "back then"

Newman... why do you gotta bring in those darn FACTS to a discussion about how carts with no wheels and horses which have beat to death??? :D:D

People might start to believe you're some kind of expert in the field of Nitro racing or something... :cool:

NHRA wasn't much in those days , most tracks ran their own deal and Nitro...
AHRA was bigger than NHRA in a large part of the country "back then"

Could that be why I read Drag News weekly instead of N/D? Why I spent as much or more time at Lions than the County... Why I've never been to 'The Parking Lot'... Why the First NHRA 'national' event I ever went to was the first "Supernationals" at OMS...

d'kid

How about 4 wide racing? Wonder how things would have ended with the pro stock crash (Brogdon) last weekend.

would have ended exactly the same....with Roger being A-ok (most important) and his competitor(s) and their car(s) being unharmed (equally as important)

or maybe just old instead of expert...
Sunday was the start of my 47th year since first pouring devil piss into a blown motor...
Still a long way to go to match George Hoover... ;)

Well that's fair.... May I suggest a new signature line?
Jerry Newman...
Old devil piss pourer....

Hahaha yeah that works

Let me know if you hear they are going to limit the OD further. I would like a head start on buying stock in a couple of the Supercharger companies who will be selling the latest greatest whiz bang blower that moves more air at a lower RPM. :p :D

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back