Qatar World Cup 2022 (1 Viewer)

Dubs

Nitro Member
Qatar just won the rights to host the 2022 World Cup. Just about all my friends had never heard of Qatar...the first thing I thought of was the Sheikh and Al-Anabi. I know Drag Racing is very different, but I think one of his goals with his racing program was to raise awareness of Qatar and to try and promote sports there. I'm not sure of the other efforts Qatar is doing around the world, but one would think that all the Sheikh's race teams had some sort of effect on the decision. Hopefully the Sheikh and his Dad think that too and continue to stay in the NHRA for many years to come:D

Possibly one of the worst choices ever for the world Cup.

1.5 million people in total. They have two or three stadiums. They need a dozen. Summer temperatures are around 110 average. Terrible human rights issues. They plan on hosting the event without any alcohol.
This was plain ole bribery.

Possibly one of the worst choices ever for the world Cup.

1.5 million people in total. They have two or three stadiums. They need a dozen. Summer temperatures are around 110 average. Terrible human rights issues. They plan on hosting the event without any alcohol.
This was plain ole bribery.

While I don't dispute that this is a questionable choice of host, especially when hosting games in the middle of June, I hardly think that a few additional venues (some perhaps with retractable roofs and indoor AC) couldn't be built in 12 years.

I know there is alot of money in qatar but to build at least 8 staduims (with seating of at least 30,000 each) in a country of 1.5 million (the same as say Portland) In a country the size of the state Conneticut. Quite the undertaking is all I can say.

So was building how many man-made islands in less than 10 years... If Qatar doesnt run out of money first, I would be willing to bet they will have the necesary buildings built in time... And why exactly does the World Cup have to be held in a high populous country? Thats like saying the Super Bowl cant be held in any of the smaller markets cause they dont have as many spectators...

Apples and oranges. Super bowl is one city and one stadium. The world cup is one country and a dozen stadiums, not to mention the fact they want to host this thing sans liquor. How may europeans would like to be at a soccer (Football) match without booze:D:D

I am not saying there is not resources to do it, Itis more the political situation and human aspect that I question.

FIFA's whole mandate is to bring the soccer world to more developing countries, which is great, but this particular choice is a bit suspect and has bribery or unethical means written all over it.

Dean

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back