Dive - Dive - Dive !!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Me too... sorry to see Mel out. With all the stuff they've thrown at her this year, she gets my vote for character and grace under fire. Wish she could own her own team.

I'm sure Daddy Lucas is thrilled though

I would HOPE most of the owners/racers just want to win, not play games.

However if that is what drag racing comes to, it's not of much interest to me anymore.

Just call me old school.

I guess that other than a few teams, the Countdown just makes diving season start earlier and more flagrantly. :(

.....but they will prolly spin it into how its so great that they made it so the little guy has a better chance to win it all and how this creation has revolutionized the sport....

Actually, they've been doing that for quite a while now, Mike. And rest assured, every year at this time there'll be multiple situations with diving potential as teams try to get in. You should have been careful what you wished for, NHRA. Now you've got it.

It's like Dunn said..if you owned a team..and the purpose of the team was to try & win. You're racing a teammate who has a chance to be in PJ's countdown. Mel would be racing Grub for a spot.

Call me whatever..but I think it was stupid for Morgan to win..and I believe he is disappointed because of that fact.

All I can hope for now is Melanie creates havoc amongst the elite 8..(did I really say that?)

I would HOPE most of the owners/racers just want to win, not play games.

However if that is what drag racing comes to, it's not of much interest to me anymore.

Just call me old school.
I'll just call you Old School then...............I think it was pretty stupid for Morgan to take her out, when you look at the big picture. He sure didn't feel good about it, and I can't blame him. Where's the honor in wiping a team mate from Championship Contention. She said they didn't deserve to be in it if they didn't win, but her team just figured something out. Surely they would have had a dog in the fight within the next few races. Let's watch that one and see how it plays out.

I admire Mel for her vein of thought and her integrity. She said herself she wanted her team to earn their spot. Kudos Melanie and go get 'em next year!

I believe the "diving/blocking/helping" we are discussing in this thread will be dramatically increased in the coming weeks.

By Vegas, there will be discussions of teams working with other teams to help advance certain causes and I guarantee some will exaggerate hidden agendas from some results from here on out.

That was about as unhappy as I've seen a driver be after winning for some time. They said they were gonna race straight up, and did exactly that.

Perhaps the rest of the racers will take note of this, and do likewise for the rest of the season.

One can only hope.

I can't stand in anymore.

First off I do want to commend Melanie and her team, its nice to see someone with this chase still have some integrity. I do appreciate Del also being up front and that the coverage actually talked about it. However with the countdown it now encourages race fixing to happen. Yes it did happen before, but it was less obvious and occured less often. Now with 8 teams in plus teams trying to make it in, plus having 3 times cutoffs happen, the instances where you need a dive (among teammates or paid off dives) is multiplied.

I've tried to lay off the scamdown for a few weeks. I didn't want to be the always bitching guy but after trying to sit through the first hour of coverage yesterday I can't take it anymore. One of the championship contenders is out in the hospital and it barely gets a mention, instead we focus on the fake chase (ok I understand they have to push that) but also who's going to dive for who.

Isn't the NBA in panic mode right now, because of a ref gambling on and possibly trying to fix games? Isn't Pete Rose banned from Baseball for similar acts? Yet here we are trying to promote our sport by not only making dives more needed but also promoting that our races MAY BE fixed!!!!!!!. Asking drivers ahead of time if the race is fixed, while I appreciate espn2 actually having the stones to ask doesn't that seem wrong to anyone????? Seems its just a step closer to a complete wwe scripting of the event.

Is this what our sport has come too? We gain championships by diving? How is that going to attract the new fans that the chase is supposed to entice?
Are sponsors really going to want to be associated with shams like this.

Now yes I understand the business side of it. Prior to this year I understood there would be a race from time to time at the end of the season where we could see it. Now over these last 8 races I wonder if we will get to see more clean races then dives? If its the 4th session of qualifying will teams not run in order to keep a first round match up against a teammate so that they can dive?

Also even if they attempt to race clean and a driver just happens to smoke them the cloud of suspicion is there. In the marketing/entertainment world facts get in the way. Perception is your reality. If it is even just perceived that teams are going down does that not harm the sport?

I feel like I'm sitting at a wedding reception when someone walks in and starts taking a leak in the punch bowl, yet everyone is afraid to speak up or stop him. I honestly figured that dispite my dislike for the countdown that I would eventually accept that it sucks but its here. I actually hate it more now then before, its so repulsive and vile to me. I used to watch or tape every qualifying and finals coverage, now over the last 5 races I've barely watched 1/2 of them. I thought I was going to miss not going to Indy this year....not so anymore. It appears they may need to gain one new fan with the scamdown because they are fastly losing me. Yeah I realize they may be happy about that but they have liked my money.

Much respect to Del, Morgan and Mel for being upfront and honest when the camera was rolling.

ummm, update, dont know about the del thing, arend just took the big dive- .200 r/t. but as for mel, what a noble thing to do. takes guts to race stragiht up when everything is on the line ! good job. not a smart buisness decision but good job.

I missed it, but for Arend to dive for Del, Head must have won his round. That was the scenario Del mentioned. It was also stated that they didn't tell Jeff what to do.....but Del expected it to happen if Head went to round 2.

I missed it, but for Arend to dive for Del, Head must have won his round. That was the scenario Del mentioned. It was also stated that they didn't tell Jeff what to do.....but Del expected it to happen if Head went to round 2.

Head was leading and took out the top end cone and got DQ'ed. Then with Worsham and Arend being the next pair, Arend took a 2 second light against Worsham.

Del still has to win the whole thing hence Arend's dive.

Last edited:
K...then they must have re-evaluated their decision? <sigh> I can't keep up with this crap!

Hate the countdown all you like, but it has this shop in NC hyped like you wouldn't believe. So far the countdown has done exactly what they wanted - generated interest at a previously rather unimportant part of the race season. Yes, every round makes a difference, but in over 20 years of being a drag race fan, I don't ever remember so many people being so excited that their driver won in the second round at Reading. My phone has been ringing off the hook with text messages for the last 10 minutes!

I am sure that Worsham and Head fans are listening as intently as we are. Same with Larry Morgan, V Gaines, Richie Stevens, Craig Treble, and Chris Rivas fans. The next 4 races are more important than they have ever been as well - not a single championship is decided yet and there are 8 teams in contention. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

55 minutes until the 3rd round and we've got lane choice ... GO ZILLA!

Championships are not a right, they should be earned. Maybe if teams had won more second rounds throughout the season then winning one now wouldn't be such a big deal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back