Cutting A Light....warning Results Enclosed (1 Viewer)

I'm quite certain that Ashley knows where there is room for improvement-especially since she stated it. I think this whole thread is a mixture of emotions regarding Dan's original cut below the knees.

As I see it, despite some things being obvious, it's not our place to tell someone of their shortcomings, as Dan did. If you should have a close enough relationship with someone to offer criticism, then at the very least, a certain amount of tact should be used and it most certainly, shouldn't be done in public.

Case in point:
You can tell me that at 260 I'm fat and need to lose weight. Should I have to reply that I rode a bicycle for two hours this morning, lifted weights when I returned and feel as if I'm in pretty good health just to respond to your third-party assessment? Fact is, I'd rather exercise and stay healthy than eat less and alter my lifestyle.
I believe it is way out of line to tell someone "What They Need" in any situation.

I saw that light and immediately thought "she'll never get around Dell". Disappointing to see that happen with what takes to get into a final round. She certainly wasn't the only Pro to get caught sleeping though. But after reading all the comments on this chain, and we all have the right to voice our opinions, I'm still dwelling on Jeggie turning on the red. Ashley was late but at least she had a chance to win. Which was worse? And why aren't we beating up on possibly the best leaver in the Pro ranks for his error?

And why aren't we beating up on possibly the best leaver in the Pro ranks for his error?

That is a million dollar question ... I will SPECULATE as to the answer. IMO, the perception is EFFORT. There is a popular misconception that if you go red that you are trying hard to win and that if you have consistent bad/late lights that you are lazy or not dedicated to getting better. I PERSONALLY DON'T BELIEVE EITHER, but I PERCEIVE that is why Jeggie is getting the free ride and Ashley is getting raked over the coals. Feel free to discuss ...

Now, I don't think we should all get along all the time, dissenting opinions even if they are unpopular are fine, as long as they are expressed in an intelligent manner. That is where the original poster failed, and the message got lost in the delivery of the messenger and then the original poster just poured more gas on his own fire.

Ashley said on National TV that her lights were bad and that she was going to work on it ... that's enough for me. No reason to come here and pile on or make a hateful personal attack on her.

Like someone else said ... took her dad quite a while to win one ... she'll get there.

I think she is doing fine...keeping the car in her lane and away from her competitor was alot of other racers fear last year so if the biggest thing she is doing is cutting bad lights....no big deal!

Oh geeez, not this chit again....:rolleyes:

Like it was said earlier, it doesn't matter if she went perfect, the performance wasn't there to make up the difference.

Last edited:
The way I figure it, sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Ashley is improving all the time, it seems to me. She'll get this figured out.

Tony Bartone's lights weren't stellar either.

I don't race....never have....don't own a race car.....never even been to a race....don't know anyone who does race....I do however know some guys in racing (crew)....I saw a guy named Duane Shields @ Houston in a (don't quote me here) TAD? it was a nitro car, anywho he had 2 lights .030 and under and .107 in the finals and lost....maybe this AF person and Duane Shields had some mech problems or heres an idea...maybe just maybe AF and Duane Shields did not want to red light their chances away!?

One day I would like to race to be able to join in on some of these topics to help out in the discussion...

FYI...it HAS TO BE easier to cut a light with your mouse vs. driving a race car....

Pass the tylenol....

KB

You Crack me up!!!:D

Well we have another one who doesn't like females in auto racing.:eek:

Anytime someone makes an objective negative true observation against a TWINKIE QUEEN he gets flamed on here. Yes I'll vote for Ashley over Danica on any poll. She's just not a "natural"....like Antron Brown (yesterdays RT's .056 to .065)

Anytime someone makes an objective negative true observation against a TWINKIE QUEEN he gets flamed on here. Yes I'll vote for Ashley over Danica on any poll. She's just not a "natural"....like Antron Brown (yesterdays RT's .056 to .065)

SHE'S JUST NOT A *natural*! PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT.:mad:

SHE'S JUST NOT A *natural*! PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT.:mad:

It's like this....when someone's performance, no matter what it may be, gets significantly better over a short period of time,we say that they are a "natural". Examples: Tiger Woods, Ely Manning,Sidney Crosby,Carrie Underwood(?)
Check out dragracingstats.com. You figure it out.

So whats the purpose of your post.
My response to you would be, go back and read the thread from the start and do it slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly. And if you don't comprehend it, do it again and do it even slower.

How would you post if Ashley Force said William Groom shouldn't be driving F/C because he can't hit a number on tree and because he not fit to run in a womens dominated sport.

I suppose she would be correct. As to the gender reference, refer back to the response of the first part of your question. I'm sure none of you were around in the 60's to observe my driving abilities in a front motored nitro burning injected car or a blown gas digger. Back in the fun days of Vacaville, Cotati, Fremont, Raisin City, Reno, Redding, Half Moon Bay, Port Orchard and even So. Cal when one could come up with enough gas money to make a long tow to the land of Valhalla. those that observed my driving talents would have known that I must have some ownership in the car because nobody would put such a boob behind the wheel, ever. Maybe even a 1.43 light would have been a good one for me, but not so good today in a car that doesn't even have a clutch to let out. Again, nothing derogatory towards Ms. Force and I shall let out a big cheer when she wins her first one. For some of you, grow up, it's a tough world out there.

Okay, i like Ashley Force...i like all of John Forces' drivers. I cant wait to see Ashley win a race, BUT even SHE admitted that she needs to cut better lights. Look at the ladder from Houston: Drag Race Central Funnycar ladder of Eliminations. Yes she made it to the finals, racing is racing no matter what happens in the other lane as long as you get the win light thats all that matters...right? Well she got lucky in the 2nd round and semis. I want to see Ashley win a race and she has the car/team/power now its up to her to be able to cut good lights...and i think she will, no one is perfect, and she has shown a whole lot of improvement from when she first got in the car, now its just up to time to tell. (im not hating on her, just giving my 2 cents)

...Ashley was late but at least she had a chance to win. Which was worse? And why aren't we beating up on possibly the best leaver in the Pro ranks for his error?
Because Jeggie is one of the best there is on the starting line and his redlight was an extremely rarity.

I'm quite certain that Ashley knows where there is room for improvement-especially since she stated it. I think this whole thread is a mixture of emotions regarding Dan's original cut below the knees.

As I see it, despite some things being obvious, it's not our place to tell someone of their shortcomings, as Dan did. If you should have a close enough relationship with someone to offer criticism, then at the very least, a certain amount of tact should be used and it most certainly, shouldn't be done in public.
Please explain the difference between our discussing any driver/team's performance on this bulletin board and callers on a talk radio show commenting on a baseball players batting slump or running back's poor production in a game!?!?

The way I see it, our favorite Pro drivers in NHRA are no different than any stick and ball sport Pro and are not beyond reproach with regards to discussing their performance. Maybe the fact that the drivers are so readily accessible in drag racing that it fosters a sense of closeness with the fans which in turn creates a familial protective response when negative comments are made.

Also the fact that some of us actually do know the drivers to varying degrees can make it difficult to be objective.

As long as things are kept civil and factual there should be no bounds on what we can discuss...

That's just my opinion.

As long as things are kept civil and factual there should be no bounds on what we can discuss...

That's just my opinion.

Post of the year.
We all have a opinion so why can't we just respect that someone might think your hero is not as great as you think they are.

Maybe we need Whit back so everyone could agree on something.:D

My response to you would be, go back and read the thread from the start and do it slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly. And if you don't comprehend it, do it again and do it even slower.

I suppose she would be correct. As to the gender reference, refer back to the response of the first part of your question. I'm sure none of you were around in the 60's to observe my driving abilities in a front motored nitro burning injected car or a blown gas digger. Back in the fun days of Vacaville, Cotati, Fremont, Raisin City, Reno, Redding, Half Moon Bay, Port Orchard and even So. Cal when one could come up with enough gas money to make a long tow to the land of Valhalla. those that observed my driving talents would have known that I must have some ownership in the car because nobody would put such a boob behind the wheel, ever. Maybe even a 1.43 light would have been a good one for me, but not so good today in a car that doesn't even have a clutch to let out. Again, nothing derogatory towards Ms. Force and I shall let out a big cheer when she wins her first one. For some of you, grow up, it's a tough world out there.

William, if you go back to beginning of thread you'll see that i am supportive of anyone that gets into race car and contends in this sport. Jack and Dan get on this thread and criticized Ashley because she can't drive and the fact she's a women. Now they're on her because she not a natural (DUMB), comparing here to Tiger,Antron,etc.yea these people have special gifts in their sports, but in no way makes them any better than she is, thats what my reply was about, and i ask them to explain themselves. We welcome everybody's comments if it is kept in a constructive manner but to throw her in the dirt is wrong and i will stand up for her every time it's done. By the way i started racing in the late 60's.

I don't race....never have....don't own a race car.....never even been to a race....don't know anyone who does race....I do however know some guys in racing (crew)....I saw a guy named Duane Shields @ Houston in a (don't quote me here) TAD? it was a nitro car, anywho he had 2 lights .030 and under and .107 in the finals and lost....maybe this AF person and Duane Shields had some mech problems or heres an idea...maybe just maybe AF and Duane Shields did not want to red light their chances away!?

One day I would like to race to be able to join in on some of these topics to help out in the discussion...

FYI...it HAS TO BE easier to cut a light with your mouse vs. driving a race car....

Pass the tylenol....

KB

wow Kevin... I hope that you get to come to a Big race someday....lol... Why dont you come out to Vegas. I'll intro you to some PRO racers with blowers and everything ! BTW can you dring any left over "ice" bomb??? Miss seeing ya Bro! :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back