Critchley/AMS lawsuit (1 Viewer)

To Wayne..."the real shame is the people who work through w/ AMS staff leasing may lose their jobs"

Are you friggen crazy????
LIVES were lost...who cares about AMS or Pro Mod employees @ this point...

Are you always this stupid or was this a special occasion?

It is the Terry Jones's who clame to be drag racing fans, who will someday get the pits closed to spectators.

Jay

Johnny M.,

I have seen it and lived thru the aftermath. It led a major Los Angeles paper to headline the story about the Winternationals as "SLAUGHTERNATIONALS" in very large type.

Bad things can happen and sometimes will. Sad day, then and now.

MaC

With the way things are going people in ten years will be waiting to get hit by a car just to sue them...

Not that any single life isn't invaluable, but six people died from this... Six people... thats 4 less than ten (just in case you are bad at math :p)... Think of Katrina: Hundreds... 9/11: Thousands... Hiroshima: Hundreds of thousands... Starvation: Countless millions... Can this even be measured with the word "tragedy" next to these events??

I don't think blame should be put on anyone as no one intentionally did this... The idea of the father suing is somewhat rediculous... His daughter was fifteen I believe which means HE is responsible for her decisions... One could just as easily put blame on him for letting her go to this place without making sure it was safe for her (which he clearly thinks he is qualified to do as he is suing for money and also to check the safety for the next one)... That money can't buy a daughter but I suppose since he is "going for justice" he will of course put all that money back into the community to buff up safety right? Or maybe a convertible pulling into a mansion will make losing a daughter easier... *this is not an attack on the man personally, he will suffer much I am sure*

I hope those six are at peace, but all the media money being spent looking at this "incident" could really save hundreds somewhere else... Puts things in perspective to me...

CJ Curtsinger

Last edited:
To Wayne..."the real shame is the people who work through w/ AMS staff leasing may lose their jobs"

Are you friggen crazy????
LIVES were lost...who cares about AMS or Pro Mod employees @ this point...

Terry,

I hope that you do not work for a company that is involved in "ANYTHING" becuase someday they may do or be part of something that goes wrong and go out of business becuase of it. Then and only then will understand what I am talking about.

My point is more than just the 6 people and thier families are going to hurt from this. I am not reducing the lives lost but just adding that thiers are not the only victims to this horrorable event.

With the way things are going people in ten years will be waiting to get hit by a car just to sue them...

It's already a well known practice in the trucking industry, but they don't just wait. Two cars will come around you on a four lane road. One will stay to to your left so you have nowhere to go while the other, with as many people as will legally fit into it (often a van), will pull over in front of you and slam on the brakes. Sometimes they DO die, but the survivors will all be going after the company's pockets.

It's already a well known practice in the trucking industry, but they don't just wait. Two cars will come around you on a four lane road. One will stay to to your left so you have nowhere to go while the other, with as many people as will legally fit into it (often a van), will pull over in front of you and slam on the brakes. Sometimes they DO die, but the survivors will all be going after the company's pockets.

I saw a commercial from an insurance company that showed that! How scary is it that people are intentionally putting lives in jeopardy for some money! Terrorism is the act of creating fear or terror, that scares the crap out of me!! So I say try them as terrorists! lol

CJ Curtsinger

I don't either but I think as soon as it happend everyone knew this was coming. But is it really fair to sue AMS? I say no. And we know that it was just an accident. But every one will be dragged through the mud on this one. No party will have enough money to pay the millions and millions that this will cause.

I'm not defending Terry here, but what does closing the pits have to do with this? I've never seen a wide open burnout in the pits...

You probably haven't been around this sport very long. Read the post below yours. We all remember that.

My reference about the pits was when one of these sue happy people do get hurt in the pits, they will feel compelled to sue everyone from NHRA on down.

In case you were not aware, there have been some dramatic pit accidents. Nitro cars blowing heads off while being cranked over, trailer doors falling on people, etc.

Jay

You probably haven't been around this sport very long. Read the post below yours. We all remember that.

My reference about the pits was when one of these sue happy people do get hurt in the pits, they will feel compelled to sue everyone from NHRA on down.

In case you were not aware, there have been some dramatic pit accidents. Nitro cars blowing heads off while being cranked over, trailer doors falling on people, etc.

Jay

Jay - you are correct about NHRA pits being a time bomb! I'm amazed that a drunk or just plain stupid fan has not been killed . . . yet. However, those dramatic pit accidents involved crew members and a motorcycle rider - all of whom signed a waiver making it very difficult to sue the venue or NHRA. If a fan is killed or injured in a pit incident, that will be the end of open pits at an NHRA race.

It will be a sad day when they close off the pits to spectators... I remember being nine years old and getting my first nitro breath... John Force's pit, Winternationals... When they turned the motor on, everyone that was more intelligent than me and about three other people walked away or backed up... Before I knew what hit me I was tearing up (and couldn't see) and felt like my nose and throat were on fire, and felt my way out of there with my arms out like a zombie... Ahhh, the memories still are easy to play back... I will be damned if my kids don't get to feel blinded by those beasts!!! :-D!!!

CJ Curtsinger

Jay

Jay they don't need to get injured, someone could claim serious breathing problems from inhaling Nitro fumes at a Drag race! I'm suprised that hasn't happened already to be honest:confused:

Jay - you are correct about NHRA pits being a time bomb! I'm amazed that a drunk or just plain stupid fan has not been killed . . . yet. However, those dramatic pit accidents involved crew members and a motorcycle rider - all of whom signed a waiver making it very difficult to sue the venue or NHRA. If a fan is killed or injured in a pit incident, that will be the end of open pits at an NHRA race.

And the end of the sport!

Hey, I'm the first one to rail against ambulance chasing lawyers (I used to do that for a living), however, there is enough real negligence to go around here.
We can all argue that $$ won't bring any one of these victims back, but it serves as "a slap upside the head" and may prevent people from doing (or allowing) stupid things in the future.
Rather than debating comparative negligence or joint and several liability, we ought to (from a PR perspective) get-in-front of public opinion and let folks know "that ain't Drag Racing". We have a relativily safe sport under the proper circumstances.

Throughout this debate about the value or benefits of suing or not suing over an incident like this a number of good ideas/thoughts have come forth. But ,the first one that made any sense to me about the actual sport of drag racing was Jim Gunther’s comment: “Rather than debating comparative negligence or joint and several liability, we ought to (from a PR perspective) get in front of public opinion and let folks know ‘that ain’t drag racing.’”

Has it occurred to anyone that by making some of the comments posted here that we may be supplying attorneys with fodder for their pending cases? It’s possible that statements published here could be entered as “evidence” of the opinions of so-called “expert observers of drag racing,” opinions that could damage the sport.

We should let this issue fade out of consciousness for a bit, I think. If we keep on going as this discussion has so far we’re going to be bringing up more and more topics that have the potential to either damage the sport, or tip some sue-happy individual about some of the potential areas he might bring suit about.

What happened in Tennessee was unfortunate at best and tragic at worst, and we aren’t helping by speculating about so many things that we can’t prove one way or the other. As people who allegedly know more about drag racing than the average man on the street we’re in a position to possibly have a negative impact on the outcome of the pending legal actions.

Bottom line: I think we oughta shut up about this, at least for now.

But hey, that’s only my opinion.

Jon Asher

’”

Has it occurred to anyone that by making some of the comments posted here that we may be supplying attorneys with fodder for their pending cases? It’s possible that statements published here could be entered as “evidence” of the opinions of so-called “expert observers of drag racing,” opinions that could damage the sport.

Jon Asher

Actually Jon, there are no concerns about anything posted on this site or any other site being accepted in a court of law. Even Newspaper articles are considered "heresay" and not admissable. A message board like this doesn't even meet those standards.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back