Countdown Whining - can we put it to rest? (1 Viewer)

The change I am talking about is the people that are dead against seeing how the Countdown will work before passing judgement. My professional experience has taught me to have an open mind and not discredit an idea without having some factual information to support my view. The old points system was OLD and needed to be changed to align NHRA with most other major sports. I know SOME of the traditional fans are having a tough time with this and that is fine, but the sky is not falling and the NHRA will be alright in the end. This thread will not turn into another Ron vs. Paul piss match, so I am done.

We're back on the merry-go-round.

I hate to break the news to some of you, but times are changing and change is good for the sport. I know change is hard for some people to grasp....

When were times not changing? Change isn't good if it's bad, which many of us believe the Countdown to be.

I can't speak for everyone who's against it but, I already know that one of the ways it will "work" is by stripping away a points lead that a team earns. To me, that's more important than whether or not it puts more fans in the seats.

I don't think drag racing is huge at bringing in new fans as it is. It's NOT a fad in this country. Again, that little poll here ran 83/17 against/for. I don't have a problem with the intention of bringing new people in but, when you're pissing off the majority of the people you already have? It's NHRA's gamble and they have every right to take it.

I just get tired of seeing the constant pegging of the people who disagree with you on something. Maybe they're just as smart as you, have a life, are not foolish, aren't clowns, don't have a problem grasping the concept of change, and have REASONS for being against, just like you have your reasons for wanting to give it a chance. I'd rather just be putting reasons up against reasons, but you make me have to go after all this attacking of those you disagree with, instead. I haven't made one derogatory comment about those in favor of the Countdown. NHRA butt kisser would be REAL easy to say! :D

You're giving me quite a list as time goes on.

Last edited:
Three out of four championship contenders losing in the first round in Funny Car in the two Countdown to One events and three of the four points leaders losing in the first round at Pomona (including the eventual champion in Funny Car) doesn't give me a warm feeling that this is a good way to choose a champion. Instead of being a quest for the best, it became a contest to see who sucked the least.

It's looks to me like rational people have their reasons for being against the Countdown. Just like I know rational people are in favor of it or, are in favor of giving it a chance. No guessing at personal disfunctions on either side is needed.

under the old points top fuel funny car and pro stock wouldhave different championships! rod fuller- ron capps- greg anderson - your REAL 07 champs! period! $humacher- 12 1st rd losses and the champ- what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three out of four championship contenders losing in the first round in Funny Car in the two Countdown to One events and three of the four points leaders losing in the first round at Pomona (including the eventual champion in Funny Car) doesn't give me a warm feeling that this is a good way to choose a champion. Instead of being a quest for the best, it became a contest to see who sucked the least.

X100! This deal didn't give me the warm, fuzzy, great feelings. I like change, but only when it makes sense. This worked the way that I had kinda expected.... The guys who lead the points in the "traditional" way got dorked. Note to NHRA.... This ain't NASCAR and never will be.

The Top Fuel champion not only lost 12 first-rounds, three of those losses came in the four Countdown to Four races, so he got into the final four based mostly on his win at Indy. Peaked at Pomona 2.

Funny Car was so screwed up this year that there is no fair way to determine a champion - all of the contenders had several first-round losses and at least one DNQ each.

Pro Stock had different winners in each of the three seasons - Greg in the first 17 races, Connolly in the next four races, Jeg in the last two races.

Only PSB came out the way the Countdown designers intended - the finalists at Pomona raced for the title and the rider with the best season record got the win.

Today's "excitement" consisted of drivers who screwed up waiting to see if they could survive - T Ped did, others didn't. I fail to see how this "drama" can attract new fans.
People *****ed when teams ran away with championships, I always thought racing was about the best team winning.
Be careful what you wish for . . . I hope those of you who *****ed are happy with what we have now. - Jim

Today's "excitement" consisted of drivers who screwed up waiting to see if they could survive - T Ped did, others didn't. I fail to see how this "drama" can attract new fans.
People *****ed when teams ran away with championships, I always thought racing was about the best team winning.
Be careful what you wish for . . . I hope those of you who *****ed are happy with what we have now. - Jim

great post jim! racing is about the best and fastest teams winning. this countdown is a JOKE! rod fuller- ron capps- greg anderson - your REAL 07 champs!!!!!!!!!!

IMO the finals were TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike Dunn at the end of the show.

It's here to stay!:D

REX:)

yup...took what looked to be a pretty darn good race and turned it into a pretty mediocre "made for TV reality show" where, for the most part, it was about who lost not who won :((

IMO the finals were TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike Dunn at the end of the show.

It's here to stay!:D

REX:)

I agree 100% Rex. The race today kicked ass! Thank you NHRA with this new system. I even had the neighbors over to watch the race and they were glued to the TV in excitement.

I agree 100% Rex. The race today kicked ass! Thank you NHRA with this new system. I even had the neighbors over to watch the race and they were glued to the TV in excitement.

Yup.......I had a bud call me right at the end and admit that this was worth watching.

Of course........he and you and I...........we're not as "enlightened" (thank GOD;)) as the rest....and don't "Get It":rolleyes:

I think it worked........like Mike Dunn stated (of course he's a paid liar.........:cool:)

All I know is I enjoyed all 3 1/2 hours.

REX

Yup.......I had a bud call me right at the end and admit that this was worth watching.

Of course........he and you and I...........we're not as "enlightened" (thank GOD;)) as the rest....and don't "Get It":rolleyes:

I think it worked........like Mike Dunn stated (of course he's a paid liar.........:cool:)

All I know is I enjoyed all 3 1/2 hours.

REX
The contrived championship formats were flawed when they were announced, screwed people in the process, and should never have been put into place. While several racers got screwed for the actual championships, a greater number of racers got screwed in top 10 money.

The championship points races didn't need to be changed. If something is broke, fix it. It wasn't broke before, and it didn't need fixing.

The contrived championship formats were flawed when they were announced, screwed people in the process, and should never have been put into place. While several racers got screwed for the actual championships, a greater number of racers got screwed in top 10 money.

The championship points races didn't need to be changed. If something is broke, fix it. It wasn't broke before, and it didn't need fixing.

Yawn

Well............such is life.

Try to cope.........I'm turning in.

Nite Nite everyone:)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ya know? One angle that I don't know if has been brought up about the old points system. To some people it was boring when championships were locked up early. But, when it would naturally come down to the last race on it's own, it was SPECIAL.

Odd example I'm going to give because at one time someone at XM thought it was a good idea to put Dr. Laura in for Dave Ramsey. THAT decision was reversed, too. Someone started a website titled "givedavebackhistimeslot" or something like that, just like P.J. started a petition.

Anyways, as much as she seems to rip some callers' heads off, I remember her once saying something like "If you have one cookie, it's special. If you have the whole bag, you're just a pig!" :D

Even Dave has said "If you eat enough lobster, it tastes like soap." I think having artificially close races every year takes something away from it, at least for me.

It wasn't exciting, it was artificial. Might as well make the quicker car stop at half track and wait for the slower car to catch up.

Those of you who prefer manufactured closeness are welcome to it - I'll find some other way to pass my time next year unless they make major changes to the phoney-baloney championship system.

I covered about half of the NHRA events this year - next year, it will only be those where I have no other choice. Like NASCAR, it's starting to bore me and I'll find something else to do, like Divisional races and IHRA, where a season-long championship system still managed to go down to the final weekend in four out of five Pro categories.

The crowd reaction was bigger for Robert Hight's race win than it was for any of the manufactured championships contested today. That should tell any unbiased observor just how bogus the championship "excitement" was today.

Larry, I have to agree with you. The Finals today reminded me of the year Scelzi won in Funny Car. He lost in the 2nd round that year as I recall, but then so did all the other contenders, or at least by the semi's all of them had, so he was crowned champion by default. He had the most points, so he won the crown, but the drama of the Champioship was over well before the final race of the day. Essentially, we got to watch a number of people lose the championship last night. As soon as I saw Hot Rod lose in the 1st Rd, it became apparent that Tony Schumacher had the door opened for him to win it again. Other than the possibility of fluke breakage, Alan Johnson had the best tuneup in Top Fuel for the entire weekend and so it played into his hands. Who would have bet the stars could line up so perfectly for him again for the 2nd year in a row. As Rex would state, they were dealt the hand they played, and everyone had the same chances in the Contrived Countdown.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back