Countdown to Championship?>Check this out. (1 Viewer)

There have been many threads on this topic and I haven't cared to read them all. But has any "stats nut" crunched any points and round wins from past seasons to see how things could've changed?

This belief that NASCAR Nation invented the playoff system is total crap! They didn't invent any playoff system, they were just the first motorsport to do so! Oh I'm sorry, the second. The Hooter's Pro Cup Series has a North and South Division and then they combine at years end to find a champ based on the Top Drivers from the 2 divisions. I don't feel NASCAR copied the NFL, MLB, or NBA. They just decided to have a playoff. They realized it was smart. Now the NHRA is having one. NASCAR was just the 2nd to do it, that I know of! Now that I've said this, 2 Race Finale is WAY to short. That's the only point I can agree with Wolf.

As usual Jeff Wolf is absolutely correct! If NHRA must do this, then make it as simple as possible. After 17 events, the top 8 drivers duke it out - plain & simple. (I'm still not sure how I feel about even that, but's it's better than the crap they're about to give us, 8 to 4, then 4 to 2). What the heck???

The following quote from Jeff's article says it all in my opinion:

Registered member said:
NHRA president Tom Compton said he understands the basics of NASCAR's Chase but doesn't know all its intricacies. He said he left the job of studying the Chase to Graham Light, NHRA senior vice president of racing operations.

What did Light do after those 10 minutes? The Chase is something most 12-year-olds can figure out in 10 minutes or less, but the leader of drag racing had to delegate the task?

The 800 pound Gorilla and the 200 pound jack ass comparison had me on the floor and my computer screen is covered in coffee I laughed so hard! :D
Great article thanks for the link!

As usual Jeff Wolf is absolutely correct! If NHRA must do this, then make it as simple as possible. After 17 events, the top 8 drivers duke it out - plain & simple. (I'm still not sure how I feel about even that, but's it's better than the crap they're about to give us, 8 to 4, then 4 to 2). What the heck???

To set the record straight, there is no countdown to two...just to eight for races 18-21, then trimmed to four for the final two races. I'm not sure I like this playoff as well. But I think they went to this procedure to make sure the issue is still undecided going into Pomona. If you just had the top 8 race for the championship over the final six races, kind of like NASCAR, it would be possible for the No. 1 guy to have a sizeable enough of a lead by Pomona, where the championship by be academic. They went to the second re-seed, so to speak, to ensure something is on the line by the last race.
Of course, could you imagine if they had this procedure in 2003, when Dixon led by more than 200 points or so going into Indy, and having that trimmed to five points by rule.
I guess my biggest complaint for the new procedure is that it penalizes the team that figured it out all year long. They get the hook for dominating.

So far, the drivers and owners take seems to be that they think its ok for the most part but not the last 2 races to decide the championship and I agree with them. Personally I think its stupid in the first place but I understand why there doing it even though I dont think its going to make a difference in viewership new fans etc. Oh well, but 2 races to decide the championship is ridiculous. You should not be able to lose the championship over one red light, one oil down penalty, etc.

To set the record straight, there is no countdown to two...just to eight for races 18-21, then trimmed to four for the final two races. I'm not sure I like this playoff as well.

Thanks for the correction, but therein lies the problem.
Simplicity.
Keep it simple...(and I don't think they are). Sure we understand it (I think), but if this is their way of attracting new fans, then I... nevermind.

They've already tweaked it to 8, just leave it alone right there. If the 4 championships don't go down to Pomona after that, then they don't deserve to.

I'm still trying to grasp, or rather get use to this new concept... maybe it'll work out, I don't know? But you're already going to reset the top 8 in points at or after Indy, leave it at that! If you must change it at all.

Next year if Dixon(or anyone) has a 200 point lead...they can just sit out a few races to make it close:rolleyes: ...makes sence to me:p

........................Oh well, but 2 races to decide the championship is ridiculous. You should not be able to lose the championship over one red light, one oil down penalty, etc.
It will sure make for some high stakes at those 2 races, right along with some high drama, and like it or not, EVERYONE of you will be tuned in for it, guaranteed! :eek:

The reason NASCAR created the Chase in the first place was to get some of their viewership back from the NFL (and college). Once the football season started, people began changing the channels.

And for what it's worth, that's a pretty closed minded story..................:p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back