JEFF WOLF: Showbiz mogul Feld eager to get hands dirty (1 Viewer)

It was a little hard to read the IHRA referred to in "and other minor motor racing series" (not a comment without merit upon reflection) but it was interesting to learn a little more about Feld's background.

His comment about part of the fans being thrilled without "understanding the language" was probably dead on, but it worries me that they will make the IHRA entertainment without true competition (like WWF).

One thing I wish that both series would take from NASCAR is the concept that racing is a weekend of entertainment and not just a day of entertainment. On site camping accomodations for the spectators can easily open the venue up to both new revenue streams and a slightly different group of spectators.

It will be interesting to watch the developments, I just hope that sportsman racing doesn't fall by the wayside . . .

I assume this thread will get moved to the IHRA section.

I think IHRA is going in the wrong direction when they rid themselves of the funny car classes. KEEP AT LEAST ONE! I'm not writing the checks so what do I know? No sponsors no class I guess.

It would be interesting to hear what he feels would improve the IHRA. So far, they have cut Pro classes, but probably improved on their sportsman program. I just hope he doesn't turn it into a booked in Monster Jam with nitro dragsters. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.:confused:

If the IHRA is to survive they must find a LEGITIMATE series sponsor. The dropping of the FC's (both classes) was stricty financial. Here's hoping that Feld's management can help IHRA survive the economic rough period and slowly build it back up the where Larry Carrier had it in the 70's. I don't think that a Drag Racing series can survive using the same model as Monster Trucks, but what the hell do I know?

Anyone else read the interview in Drag Illustrated with Aaron Polburn and Scooter Peeco (?). Sure looks like they are determined to make the IHRA into a "Monster Jam" booked in series with sportsman cars. I guess we'll have to see how it all pans out.:(

Anyone else read the interview in Drag Illustrated with Aaron Polburn and Scooter Peeco (?). Sure looks like they are determined to make the IHRA into a "Monster Jam" booked in series with sportsman cars. I guess we'll have to see how it all pans out.:(

I can stay at home and race "booked in" Shows:mad:

IHRA is done. I know people have been saying that for years and its still here but I really honestly believe its done and over with after this year. Atleast the IHRA as we knew it. Feld will turn it into a one day circus.

IHRA is done. I know people have been saying that for years and its still here but I really honestly believe its done and over with after this year. Atleast the IHRA as we knew it. Feld will turn it into a one day circus.

Nope, it is far from done. It will change with the times but it will grow and be different than the National Hate Sportsman Association ( whoops my bad the NHRA )

I look forward to the changes instead of just copying NHRA.

I'm not sure what to think. The IHRA may be better off mixing booked in Pro cars with an open sportsman series, after all, PINKS sells out tracks with 10 second bracket cars and the ADRL has record crowds at tracks racing Pro Mods and IHRA Pro Stocks to half track. This may be a brilliant strategy and bring record crowds and profits to Feld and the IHRA. However, if this is what they do, I'll still miss the "old" IHRA with open competition and 30 plus cars trying to qualify in PM, PS and AFC (BTW, I would like to see all those letters from people complaining about too many cars trying to qualify). To me, the IHRA was a racer first organization. It would be sad to see this change, if it hasn't already.

I have not read the story, nor do I have any information about the direction IHRA is taking. But.............

The biggest event of the year at Norwalk is a booked in show. The booked in shows at Tulsa before they got their national event drew more spectators. At almost all national events, the Saturday qualifying show outdraws the Sunday eliminations. Why? Because the spectators want to be entertained and are not interested in who wins an event. By the time the finals roll around, most of the spectators have already left the facilities.

A booked in show provides more entertainment for the live spectators, the participants have a better financial event, the promoter has less hassles. Where is the downside? Someone doesn't get a trophy at the end? No special jackets?

The pros in all organizations are going broke because of the number of crew needed and the travel expenses created by the need to run hard every run all over the country(s). Create a program where the participants at the event are local to cut down the travel, have a lot of them each week all over the country, and then have one big NATIONAL event in the middle once a year to see who is best. This makes the win at the national event mean something, teams can race locally and make some money, and there are more events for spectators.

But I guess this is where the national event system all started.

.....A booked in show provides more entertainment ...participants have a better financial... ... promoter has less hassles. ...Where is the downside?

This is the one method that has sustained Nitro burning car owners for thirty years.
Why not a four hour show on Saturday night ? ? ?
...forget technical racing , what the heck is an ET anyway... give them entertainment !
...... Sights & Sounds... ...Fire & Thunder ... ;) ... :D ... :eek: ... :cool:

If all that is to remain of IHRA in the future is booked in shows, then it will be IHRA in name only. And if they don't get Aaron Polburn out if there....and QUICK, there won't be a true IHRA next year. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of a number of IHRA racers I have spoken to. Most of whom have been racing with IHRA for a lonnng time. About 30 cars total at a divisional race this year in NC is what I was told. IHRA, while often fumbling the ball with the pro classes, they have always managed to treat the sportsman class racers well. Under polburn's "leadership", they have screwed that up as well. Bye bye IHRA.

I "heard" that there were over 650 cars at that event and only one class had as few as 30 cars in it. So much for "I heard's".

IHRA is a company, just like any other, it must make a profit to survive. The whole picture needs to be looked at to understand what is making a profit and what is losing money consistently. Some events have very little or no racing and are SRO. The spectators, participants, tracks and sanctioning body loves them from an entertainment and financial stand point. These events are publicised locally before hand mainly, and not reported on afterwards. Which is why computer fans don't appreciate them.

Another test is to go to your local track and compare the "test and tune" nights/days with actual race days, and see which is more populated. Ask them which is more profitable, and then ask about booked in shows.

If you feel a multitude of national events are the way to go, ask yourself why the NHRA was willing to sell them along with the pro classes and keep the divisional races and sportsman racers.

These are just my opinions from my observations, and actual results are open to interpretation.

I think the IHRA will live. We had a great show in Salt Lake this year. Their crew was top notch, and blended well with the local track personnel. Several things have been mentioned in this thread, which deserve comment. First I would agree, for the fans a paid in Pro show is the way to go. They get to see all the cars run each and every round. I don’t think most fans really care who wins the race, they just want to see Nitro/Pro Mod/Alcohol cars run. I know the parking lot was overflowing and the stands were full. The NHRA testing restrictions had to have hurt paid in shows. People will come out to see the big boys run a match race.

Someone mentioned Pinks. What is so appealing about Pinks? Simple, heads up, all out racing. If someone could come up with a formula that transcended 4 or 5 different speed/class of cars that would provide heads up racing without sending cost/tech inspection thru the roof, the Pinks formula would keep fans in the stands for Sportsman racing. I am a bracket racer, and love it, but most people don’t understand it. Even if they do understand it, they prefer the simple formula of all out, first guy wins.

Having suggested heads up racing, I will be the first to admit based on how we have seen the sport progress, I don’t think there is a formula out there that could contain cost. Just look at the cost associated with Super Sport or Super Comp. That is why there are so many bracket guys racing. We can compete based on our own budget, whether it is SC, ET, Top Dragster or whatever. Even crate engine programs don’t work. Just ask the circle guys. If there was a class that was heads up, and the cost was comparable to bracket racing, offered some diversity in car types, I would be the first one to buy in. It is a great dream, but I don’t think it will happen any time soon. Until then, I am very thankful for bracket racing, local tracks, the IHRA, the NHRA, and all my fellow racers who put money, blood, sweat and tears into this sport. We should all do everything we can to support our local tracks, and whoever the governing body is, so we have a place to race.

Earl Helm

I think the IHRA will live. We had a great show in Salt Lake this year. Their crew was top notch, and blended well with the local track personnel. Several things have been mentioned in this thread, which deserve comment. First I would agree, for the fans a paid in Pro show is the way to go. They get to see all the cars run each and every round. I don’t think most fans really care who wins the race, they just want to see Nitro/Pro Mod/Alcohol cars run. I know the parking lot was overflowing and the stands were full. The NHRA testing restrictions had to have hurt paid in shows. People will come out to see the big boys run a match race.

Someone mentioned Pinks. What is so appealing about Pinks? Simple, heads up, all out racing. If someone could come up with a formula that transcended 4 or 5 different speed/class of cars that would provide heads up racing without sending cost/tech inspection thru the roof, the Pinks formula would keep fans in the stands for Sportsman racing. I am a bracket racer, and love it, but most people don’t understand it. Even if they do understand it, they prefer the simple formula of all out, first guy wins.

Having suggested heads up racing, I will be the first to admit based on how we have seen the sport progress, I don’t think there is a formula out there that could contain cost. Just look at the cost associated with Super Sport or Super Comp. That is why there are so many bracket guys racing. We can compete based on our own budget, whether it is SC, ET, Top Dragster or whatever. Even crate engine programs don’t work. Just ask the circle guys. If there was a class that was heads up, and the cost was comparable to bracket racing, offered some diversity in car types, I would be the first one to buy in. It is a great dream, but I don’t think it will happen any time soon. Until then, I am very thankful for bracket racing, local tracks, the IHRA, the NHRA, and all my fellow racers who put money, blood, sweat and tears into this sport. We should all do everything we can to support our local tracks, and whoever the governing body is, so we have a place to race.

Earl Helm

Ok just an Idea Has anyone thought about trying in say S/C a heads up, pounds per cubic inch, minimum weight class for dragsters?

John,

I think the only thing that would work would be index classes, much like now, but with no electronics. Just like the old days. Someone posted a link to an old SG race before electronics. It looked like great racing. You would have to set your car up to run the number the hard way. I know one thing, it would eliminate all the 180MPH 1000HP SC cars in a hurry and put the driver/tuner back into the game.

Earl

Feld Entertaiment has given the IHRA until the end of 2010 to make it work or else. This was said to Top Fuel teams who asked and needed the information for their 2010 sponsorship proposals.

Feld Entertaiment has given the IHRA until the end of 2010 to make it work or else. This was said to Top Fuel teams who asked and needed the information for their 2010 sponsorship proposals.

I doubt the IHRA will go away. I think the "or else" likely refers to cleaning house and getting rid of those in charge now or Feld pulling the plug and selling the IHRA off. I have heard that there are several people interested to buying the IHRA and are likely waiting to see how low they can buy it for.;)

Follow the Money ! A good promoter can do his thing and find the sponsors to put the show together the framework and the purses.

It's always been my experience that the racers in the past felt at home with the IHRA before hard times made big cuts necessary !

You don't see Gary Densham slinging burgers out front and joking with the fans at NHRA races !
The cost of racing fuel in competition in the NHRA is serious business because so many bring so much to the table.

A showman who leaves the racing end which has been so sucessful in the past to those who know racing and does a good job of putting up the framework will have a show.

For starters have a pure car show in conjunction with enough prises and ink to go along with the racing. That costs little and greatly enlarges the car count and the that will prop up initial low car counts on the racing side.

Match races between Fuel cars even if there is not enough support to have a series IE the FC's !

How about Nostalgia series and cackle fests !

I think a show could be put on to rival NHRA's big show without even stepping on the big guys toes.

Goodguys and Super Chevy do it pretty well without very much Ink and IHRA has the name and framework already ! Just add FUN !

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back