Car Warm Ups (1 Viewer)

Dubs

Nitro Member
Alright folks, I am heading to my first race of the year this weekend at Reading and was wondering who blips the throttle when warming up? I know the Kalittas still do, but was just wondering if any teams started/stopped doing it since last yr?

Everyone is going to tell you - you have to go to Doug Kalitta and David Grubnic. Not only do they blip the throttle - they hang in it for what must be 3 or 4 tenths of a second (enough to get some header flame) - but they pull their car out from under the canopy back towards Nitro Alley. This is the closest you will get to a full throttle T/F car.

Another hint - take note of which way the wind is blowing and stand up wind or you will get gassed out. You can get right up against the ropes and kinda duck down to avoid the cloud but still get blasted out.

I was just at Brainerd, and FOR SURE David Grunic is still doing the good ol fashoned full throttle whacks. I was not there to see Doug K warmup, but Id assume they are still doing it too.

However, I did see both of them warm up and not whack the throttle, just started and idled - I think this was because we were waiting on some weather and they didn't want to do it till they knew they were going to run. If this was the case, they would have started the car later for a shorter period of time only to set the clutch (which I have also seen in the past)

I did not go to any other cars to see their warmups because once you see the Kalittas, everyone is inferior. I think the Force cars blip the throttle, as does Wilkerson, but again I can't confirm this.

Also, check the pits Friday if you can, and Saturday, because Sunday the pits were so packed you couldn't even walk. You'll be suprised how many drivers and crew chiefs you will recognize walking through with everyone else.

at BIR one thing i noticed is that the kalitta cars are using a much different
warmup than in previous years; i thought i saw all three and none hit
the throttle, but i could be wrong (nick/grubnic).........
here's a short list of who i think may still hit the throttle:
pedregons, wilk/tasca, jfr, massey...........most seem to have moved
away from this technique.

The Kalitta's don't hit the throttle anymore. They didn't at Norwalk or at Bandimere so at Bandimere I asked one of the Arend crew guys and he said that after the Phoenix test session (before Gainesville) they decided to warm the cars up differently.

The Pedregon's and the Force's will be your best bet for a big dose of nitro and a good whack or two.

Damn, that is just too bad that the Kalittas don't do it anymore. I think it is one of the coolest things when you are at the races. I wish the teams would just do it for the fans :rolleyes:

Spencer Massey's car still does the Double Romp! Other than that, the Force cars still do one good hit! But I've noticed at Seattle that John's car or Robert's I'm not sure does a 2nd Bump!

dry hops.......gone
long burnouts.........gone
100% nitro...........gone
quarter mile.........gone
independents having leg. shot at win.........gone
throttle wacks during warmup.........almost gone

what's next :eek:

The nirto warm up "blips" are one of my favorite parts,i even have a gas mask. Sad to see them going away..:(

Yes, Connie's cars stopped doing that procedure.

This is not true, I was blasted with the full romp from Grubnic's car twice this weekend.

I cannot say the same for Doug K or Jeff A - I know I was there for one of Jeff and one for Doug and neither did the romp.. but Grubnic did FOR SURE.

dry hops.......gone

go to a nostalgia show Mike.....we do all of those :D

At Brainerd this past weekend, Wilk was good for a blip each time that I saw him warm 'er up. The Forces and Pedregons were too. Alas though, it seems to be a dying thing. Gonna have to take up Minick and go see a nostalgia race.

dry hops.......gone

Nitro 1320 national speed and et records being broken.......gone
radical design innovations.....gone
the drivers and teams that were the very best all season being crowned champions...gone
the absolute thrill of standing at the finish line at night and seeing 330 mph machines blast by me......gone
...but the ONE thing I will not accept are lame warm-ups ( no wacks)....I'm gone !

OK then - for Kalitta, maybe it's dependent on the conditions. In Denver niether car did all weekend and when I asked why I was told it was for fuel and tune up reasons.

Arend crew guys and he said that after the Phoenix test session (before Gainesville) they decided to warm the cars up differently.

Jeff Arend didn't do the whomp, just the brake with foot off clutch.

Maybe your right its based on conditions. I was there 3 Grubnic warmups, got the hit at 2 of them. I guess you have to talk to Connie to be sure what they're up to.

dry hops...
long burnouts...
100% nitro...
quarter mile...
independents having leg. shot at win...
throttle whacks during warm-up...

what's next

Cordova on Saturday August 29th .....1320 @100%....
Minnesodah Nitro cars, two or more whacks on warm-ups .... old guys .... young girls ....No Favre :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back