Can the Nanny be turned off?? (1 Viewer)

smokemasterJ

Nitro Member
This is a cut and paste from NHRA results... their typos, not mine:
Head came up earlier, with Paul Lee in the other lane, and did his burnout. Lee got to the end of his burnout and he tried several times to get it into reverse, then tried to drive it off the top end to clear the track for Head. The engine finall perked up as he crossed the finish line, but the chutes came out wand the fuel shut off hen the automatic system deployed his chutes and he stopped on the track. Head sat behind the starting line a long time, finally had to shut the engine off.
Can Rick Stewart deactivate the auto chutes and shut-off? Obviously Lee was just trying to clear the track!

If I remember right, John Force had the same thing happen to him where he couldn't backup after a burnout and was trying to clear the track so Dale Creasy could make his pass at charlotte last year and the chutes came out right past the finish line.

back to the question.... I don't know if there is a manual deactivation anywhere but it would make sense to have one in circimstances like this

Last edited:
How about a modification to the system so that if you're going under, say 50, it doesn't go off?

How about just take all that worthless junk off.
Give Rick Stewart have control over it, come on he couldn't even run the tree activation switch, so they had to incorporate a random delay system into it.
Now Buster would not have stood for any of this, he had talent.

i believe vandergriff's electrical short that hosed him in the first round,
with the door wide open, was also related to safety wiring.

seemed to me that paul lee idled to finish line to avoid any chance of
engine failure on track surface - he hit the throttle @ finish line to give
enough speed to turn off end of track, but safety switch threw the chutes
slowing and stopping car on track, inevitably leading to head's
shutting off.... with these automatic shutoffs and deployments in place;
in the event of no reverse on burnout, maybe cars should just pull over to wall
and driver get out & let other car have solo - they've done this for many
years before.

Last edited:
i believe vandergriff's electrical short that hosed him in the first round,
with the door wide open, was also related to safety wiring.

seemed to me that paul lee idled to finish line to avoid any chance of
engine failure on track surface - he hit the throttle @ finish line to give
enough speed to turn off end of track, but safety switch threw the chutes
slowing and stopping car on track, inevitably leading to head's
shutting off.... with these automatic shutoffs and deployments in place;
in the event of no reverse on burnout, maybe cars should just pull over to wall
and driver get out & let other car have solo - they've done this for many
years before.

Im not a driver, but it didn't occur to me that it would shut off and deploy till after it happened. B Frey sounded puzzled when he didn't shut off and jump over the wall. Maybe Paul - and the entire crew (on the headseats) forgot and remembered when it was too late.

Probably just a matter of get all the drivers together and make jumping over the wall standard practice.

Yes the automatic turn off system can be turned off. It is really simple if you think about it. The device, will automatically shut off fuel and ignition as well as deploy the parachutes once the driver has passed the finish line if the driver has not done so already. The system will activate when the car passes a wall-mounted transmitter.

The key words here being: if the driver has not done so already!!

The thing is as a driver you want to be of the track a.s.a.p. so you dont shutt the car down. But when the car is passing the wall-mounted transmitter still under power the transmitter does its work. If the driver turns off the fuel and ignition the chutes never will come out but with that being said it will probably never make the turn off at the end of the track.

So maybe it's an idea if one driver doesn't come back after the burn out and idles down the track that Rick Steward tells the driver in the other to shutt it down any way because it makes no sence letting the driver wait burning all that fuel.

I would think the system is battery powered Gerda, so the chutes are coming out no matter if the driver's already shut the engine down.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back