Who really is the starter? (1 Viewer)

Well Chute!

From my living room couch, I have to admit, I too was a little shocked to see them reloading the chute up there and making the run. My bigger question would be to the race car crew.... in light of all the headway they've made in the areas of safety recently - just seems like they'd stop everything. Why the hell risk something in that situation if there's even the slightest chance of putting the driver at risk? I know, the things are designed to stop on one chute .... but suppose the opposite chute failed - is it worth the risk? That's all I'm sayin........

Come to think of it, there was a FC blow up over the weekend too I saw on TV - and even Paul Page commented that the parachutes never deployed......

I applaud the move to shut off the cars when Capps was on track. I still remember the race with live finals for the first or second time out of Topeka several years back. They had more TV time than originally planned for so they were showing alky finals and the first pair down (don't remember if it was funny cars or dragsters) hooked a turnoff worker with the chute and put him down against the guard wall with serious head injury. Was told by an individual who would very definately know that they were calling the tower to shut off the next pair ... ambulance was on track with lights on in a blocking position for the downed individual and the tower just quit acknowledging the calls to shut off....just silence...and they sent them. Is THAT what you want happening again?

It was a bit surprising to see the allegedly safety first JFR decide to risk their most precious asset. We are huge fans of The Queen of Hearts here (not so much for the dad....) and their messing with her safety (on one of NHRA's shortest tracks)was viewed here as definitely out of bounds.

It was a bit surprising to see the allegedly safety first JFR decide to risk their most precious asset. We are huge fans of The Queen of Hearts here (not so much for the dad....) and their messing with her safety (on one of NHRA's shortest tracks)was viewed here as definitely out of bounds.
I would just love to hear what the entire JFR team would have to say about this post, Also Rick Stewart and the entire NHRA staff. :mad:

Just Wondering … Has it ever been more obvious that Rick Stewart has absolutely lost any control and any respect as the head starter of the NHRA’s national events? Race control sends Ashley Force to do a burnout while Ron Capps’ Fuel Coupe sits dead in the middle of her lane with a locked up rear end. What might have happened had her chute not dropped out in the waterbox? Then, even though Stewart clearly gave both John Force and Ashley Force Hood the cut signal to turn off their motors, they ignored him. And finally the race director allowed a chute to be repacked on the starting line! What exactly does the NHRA need a starter for if he has no authority? JEFF BURK

Just Wondering … Has it ever been more obvious that Rick Stewart has absolutely lost any control and any respect as the head starter of the NHRA’s national events? Race control sends Ashley Force to do a burnout while Ron Capps’ Fuel Coupe sits dead in the middle of her lane with a locked up rear end. What might have happened had her chute not dropped out in the waterbox? Then, even though Stewart clearly gave both John Force and Ashley Force Hood the cut signal to turn off their motors, they ignored him. And finally the race director allowed a chute to be repacked on the starting line! What exactly does the NHRA need a starter for if he has no authority? JEFF BURK

I'm sure this issue will be discussed at length between the NHRA and some of the racers (this should be televised!).

Bottomline...The starter's directions will be followed or they won't be. What will it be? I wonder what Stewart's opinion is on BOTH driver's not following his direction? And both were JFR cars! Could it be that both drivers were told, via their radios, not to shut down, to ignore Stewart's direction to kill the motors.

As a driver, I would not question his order to shut it down. I can't see everything that's happening with the entire car. Is there a fire, an oil or fuel leak, etc. Best to just kill it.

Actually, if you watch it again, both chutes came out. The one they repacked on the starting line didn't blossom because it landed right in the water on the starting line. Wet chutes don't work...

Which is why I don't understand, in the interest of safety, if it is just lip service being paid in the name of safety. If JFR or NHRA really were interested in safety, why do things keep happening when they could have been prevented with a little foresight... I am not knocking anyone's advances in safety, but for crying out loud, where is the common sense?

I think you all are being a bit tough on Rick Stewart. (I have never driven a race car so I'll defer to those of you who have, especially a fuel or alcohol car!) I was at Pomona and watched these events unfold. It seemed to me, confirmed by the interview with John Force at the top end, that things were just very confusing for all concerned. I'm sure John has got people yelling in his ear on the radio, he's focused on staging, can't see Ashley so he has no idea what is going on behind him, Capps car is stuck on the track. Just a tough situation all around. Nobody's fault in my opinion.

I think you all are being a bit tough on Rick Stewart. (I have never driven a race car so I'll defer to those of you who have, especially a fuel or alcohol car!) I was at Pomona and watched these events unfold. It seemed to me, confirmed by the interview with John Force at the top end, that things were just very confusing for all concerned. I'm sure John has got people yelling in his ear on the radio, he's focused on staging, can't see Ashley so he has no idea what is going on behind him, Capps car is stuck on the track. Just a tough situation all around. Nobody's fault in my opinion.

Fault? I think it's a matter of some of the rules and procedures not being followed. I'm sure it is covered in the NHRA rule book. When blame is thrown around, defer to the rule book. If it's not covered in the book, then put out an addition to the book that will cover it. But I'm sure you will find that the starter is the final authority when it comes to starting line activities. And a lot of responsibility for driver safety goes along with that authority.

When things go wrong you debrief the incident carefully, find out what went wrong and fix it. Then make the necessary corrections to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I wonder if they would have let the crew quickly repack the chutes if both had deployed on the line?

Can I say that if it was Haddock that dropped the chutes then the NHRA would let him come back till April?!? :D

Which is exactly why he (and she) should have shut down!! You have all that going on,and Steward dancing like he's on hot coals with the 'cut throat' hand gesture and don't you still elect to not kill the motor? AND, he could see that Capps was still on the track. Makes a person wonder...........

even though i don't dig all the exagerated gestures he makes i still think he does a decent job, there will never be another buster. rick had to make a split second decision as he was motioning them to shut off he must have got word from the top end that it was clear, nobody from team force objected to either car making the run and must have been satisfied that it was safe to run. everybody here that second guesses his every move needs to put thereselves in his position.

Rick did everything the way it should have been done. So did the teams.

Ashley's team packed the chute as quickly as possible knowing that if John staged and they weren't done, she wouldn't run.

When John was told to shut off, he backed up so his crew could raise the body and shut him off properly and that no liquids would be left at the starting line.

Rick has people talking to him over the radio to let him know what is going on everywhere that is pertinent to cars running. When John moved forward to stage Rick was told that Capps was still on the track so he gave John the shut off signal. As John was backing up Rick was given the track is clear and they pulled John forward without shutting him off. Ashley's crew finished and she was able to stage.

To me, all safety items were addressed and there wasn't any drama. Just a lot of people doing their jobs as well as they could be done under the circumstances.

Hang around a nitro car after they shut one down. You should notice all the things that need to be done and the time it takes to safely start one up again. Do it in a hurry and people get hurt.

I thought (obviously I must have been mistaken) that (with fuel cars anyway) they didn't fire the cars unless the track was clear. The reasoning being that if the throttle stuck on the burnout or something and the car took off down track there wouldn't be anything in the way.

Although exaggerated, isnt it kinda like an airline pilot starting to takeoff assuming the plane in front is going to get off the runway?

Or is it another "the probability of that happening is so slim that we don't have to worry about it"

Yeah...same here. I was standing right there and Shumachers' run should have been tossed...blatent disregard for the starter and rules.

Just what does the rule book say about disregarding the starter's orders ? I know Tony was slapped with a small fine by the NHRA but was never penalized any points for that incident....and Tony only beat Doug Kalitta by just a very few points to win the championship.

Just wondering. Why doesn't nhra, either the tower or Drama Rick, have an override on each teams walkie talkies, this way they can cut in and direct the driver when needed. Shouldn't be used to many times but just in case

Just wondering. Why doesn't nhra, either the tower or Drama Rick, have an override on each teams walkie talkies, this way they can cut in and direct the driver when needed. Shouldn't be used to many times but just in case
Don't you think your Drama comment is a bit unnecessary PJ. C'mon ... you do your job your way and let Rick do his job his way. He is not there for your approval and doesn't need it either. His superiors give him a performance review at the end of the year. They are the only people he needs to impress. End of discussion ... the fact that people concern themselves with how Rick does his job is just stunning to me. I have to believe you all have more pressing issues in your lives than being annoyed with something you have ZERO control over.

I can't wait to try defying the starter at Barona in my slow little bracket dragster...if it is good for JFR, is HAS to be good for me.

Don't you think your Drama comment is a bit unnecessary PJ. C'mon ... you do your job your way and let Rick do his job his way. He is not there for your approval and doesn't need it either. His superiors give him a performance review at the end of the year. They are the only people he needs to impress. End of discussion ... the fact that people concern themselves with how Rick does his job is just stunning to me. I have to believe you all have more pressing issues in your lives than being annoyed with something you have ZERO control over.

As a starter Stewart always has been a clown and always will be.

um ok Jim, I was actually thinking he or the tower having the ability to talk directly to the driver would be a useful tool for him and make his job, ya know keeping things safe and running smoothly, a little easier for him. It would take out crews chiefs overriding or drivers claiming not to see.
Of course I guess they could go one further and just have remote kill switches at the line but that would really cheese people off.

and yes I do have more pressing issues going on right now, forgive me for trying to relax my mind for a few minutes of peace and come someplace to chat

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back